An Old School Catholic Message Board

Women Priests

aalpha1989

No, I didn't mean women theology teachers...

So I'm sure this topic has been discussed many times on phatmass, but I'd like to load up on everything I can as to why the Church cannot ordain women.

We have multiple theology teachers at my high school who are teaching that the church will ordain women priests within our lifetimes, that it did so for the first couple hundred years after pentecost, and that it should have continued to do so throughout these last 2,000 years.

I'd like the strongest arguments and reasoning for the Church's position that you can provide me.

Thanks!

[quote name='aalpha1989' post='1425392' date='Nov 26 2007, 09:35 PM']We have multiple theology teachers at my high school who are teaching that the church will ordain women priests within our lifetimes, that it did so for the first couple hundred years after pentecost, and that it should have continued to do so throughout these last 2,000 years.[/quote]
I for one would like to know the names of some of these early church women priests I keep hearing about. After all, if the theology instructors are so adamant about the alleged women priests' existence, naming names shouldnt be a problem.

[quote name='Staretz' post='1425394' date='Nov 26 2007, 09:39 PM']I for one would like to know the names of some of these early church women priests I keep hearing about. After all, if the theology instructors are so adamant about the alleged women priests' existence, naming names shouldnt be a problem.[/quote]
Oh, this information was suppressed violently by Constantine and the Evil Popes, and all records were destroyed, along with those of the marriage of Christ and Mary Magdalene, the divine Merovingian bloodline in France, and the early gay wedding ceremonies.

Inquire into this matter further, and a mad albino monk will stab you to death.

Remember, lack of any historical evidence for something is surefire proof that the Church suppressed it!

Edited by Socrates

I wrote a term paper on this in the seminary. I can email it to ya if you want... lemme see if I could just upload it somewhere...

Edited by Didymus

Good topic, I'd like to learn more in-depth info as well! Besides the "it's tradition" following the intentions of Jesus by calling 12 male apostles.

Here it is. Hope it helps. (lemme know if it doesn't load right)

[url="http://docs.google.com/View?docID=ddrpfx4p_0cg9zt8&revision=_latest"]http://docs.google.com/View?docID=ddrpfx4p...evision=_latest[/url]

ChildoftheCreator

Tradition is a major thing. Is it not a doctrine? If it be a doctrine then it cannot be thrown out because every other thing can be thrown out as well. First goes the role of men as priests and then goes marriage and pretty soon people will say that the Eucharist is not the Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity of Christ. Where is the line drawn? If the Church was wrong on one doctrine, which other doctrines is it wrong on as well and how can we trust it in any other decision that it makes? We would not be able to trust the Church because if at one time she said that priests could not be women and then contradicted herself a while later, she would not be the pillar of truth, but just an establishment made by men.
Another thing is that they act [i][/i]en persona christi[i][/i]. Jesus was not a woman, he was a man. This was not a mistake and so the priest must also be a man in order to fulfill this role.
Look at the Israelite priests. The nations around them had women gods and priestesses, but the Israelites went against the crowd. They had only men priests. God was preparing them for the Messiah and this could be seen as one way that he prepared them, as well.

Here's what it says in the Catechism
CCC 1577 "Only a baptized man validly receives sacred ordination." The Lord Jesus chose men to form the college of the twelve apostles, and the apostles did the same when they chose collaborators to succeed them in their ministry. the college of bishops, with whom the priests are united in the priesthood, makes the college of the twelve an ever-present and ever-active reality until Christ's return. the Church recognizes herself to be bound by this choice made by the Lord himself. For this reason the ordination of women is not possible.

[quote name='Didymus' post='1425412' date='Nov 26 2007, 08:07 PM']Here it is. Hope it helps. (lemme know if it doesn't load right)

[url="http://docs.google.com/View?docID=ddrpfx4p_0cg9zt8&revision=_latest"]http://docs.google.com/View?docID=ddrpfx4p...evision=_latest[/url][/quote]
awesome! i may have to steal some of this material!

PopeClementI(MorClemis)

Didymus,

Just for your information, you may wish to update your paper re: the Council in Trullo - while the Emperor Justinian did convene the Council, Pope Hadrian confirmed and approved all of its canons

I was at a Theology of the Body presentation by Fr. Tom Loya last Sunday, and - you will have topardon me, his talk got very deep at times - he compared the male-only priesthood to a marriage to the Church - the "Bride of Christ" - using a comparison of the Mass to a conjugal act - with the implication that anything other than a male priesthood would be lesbianism.

[quote name='Didymus' post='1425412' date='Nov 26 2007, 10:07 PM']Here it is. Hope it helps. (lemme know if it doesn't load right)

[url="http://docs.google.com/View?docID=ddrpfx4p_0cg9zt8&revision=_latest"]http://docs.google.com/View?docID=ddrpfx4p...evision=_latest[/url][/quote]

Excellent write up.

God Bless!
ironmonk