An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should I Learn German?

Thomist-in-Training

Thomist-in-Training

Dear Phatmassers, I have a knack for languages. I have a good amount of French and Latin and a little Italian & next semester may take a course in Old English. I also have a chance (at the expense of some other elective) to take an accelerated basic German course. Off the top of my head I don't know of any use for German, except perhaps reading the Holy Father's books in the language in which he composed them. But I think it might be something I might be able to pick up at least some of relatively easily and quickly, which could come in use sometime in the future, even in a cloister, where I may very well end up. What do you all think?

VeniteAdoremus

I say :yes: :)

If only because a number of monasteries originated from Germany and still have ties to the country. Or because a lot of great philosophers lived there and wrote in German. Or because before WWII it was the main language of science in Europe, so most sources from that era are in German. Or because it's a beautiful language with a grammatical structure that will help you learn many other languages. Or because Germans are incredibly nice people and live in a GORGEOUS country, but (especially in the east) most of them don't really speak English, so if you ever visit it helps a lot to speak the language.

Or... or...

You know, wha'evah, do what you like ;)

Me being a German must say that I find a lot of Germans, at least all that are less than 40 years of age, speaking English. Not perfectly, but enough to get along.

It is a nice language, yes. But grammar is definitly horrible, there are a lot of rules and exceptions. I guess if you compare a German irregular verb sheet with an ancient greek one it doesn`t make so much of a difference concerning exemptions and things to learn.

There is still a lot of science in Germany, especially concerning theology and philosophy. So, if you really want to go into that, that s good.

But thinking that you might only take a semester or so I guess its up to you to see up to which level you can really get, if you can get more than "Hallo, ich heiße" "Ich komme aus Amerika und bin xyz Jahre alt" out of your course. If this is not the case, I would suggest deepening one of your already existing language abilities.

But if you will learn German - viel Spaß!

the lords sheep

As a theologian (well, not quite officially, but almost!) German is one of the languages that they always strongly recommend if not require, as many MANY theological texts are in German. If you're interested in ever studying theology, and even if not, I say definitely! It may not be the most beautiful language (I'm of German descent, I can say this...) but you'll find some use for it, I'm sure!

(As to the Holy Father's texts, I recommend them in German if you can read it, as some of the English translations, especially of his early stuff, is rather poor.)

Good luck to you!
Lauren

Thomist-in-Training

Thanks guys, some really USEFUL advice! I felt silly even looking at the post title again but I will audit it if I can because even if I don't get it down perfectly I know I will learn more than "Hallo, ich heiße." So will try to at least audit the class.

Guest KevinSymonds

German is good to know if you want to get into Theology and not just so you can read Ratzinger. There's a whole slew of German theologians and German history that plays into Theology........

-KJS

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1417101' date='Nov 10 2007, 04:49 PM']Dear Phatmassers, I have a knack for languages. I have a good amount of French and Latin and a little Italian & next semester may take a course in Old English. I also have a chance (at the expense of some other elective) to take an accelerated basic German course. Off the top of my head I don't know of any use for German, except perhaps reading the Holy Father's books in the language in which he composed them. But I think it might be something I might be able to pick up at least some of relatively easily and quickly, which could come in use sometime in the future, even in a cloister, where I may very well end up. What do you all think?[/quote]
omgosh. If you have an opportunity to learn German totally take it! There are so many scholarly essays and books that are only available in German. The fact that I don't know German has been a stumbling block many, many times. You would be greatly expanding your access to texts in philosophy, theology, exegesis, liturgy, et cetera. I say go for it.

Thomist-in-Training

Oh whoops, apparently I can't even read ENGLISH--this coming semester's course is only a sequel to last semester's. But, next Fall I will strongly consider taking it then. Thanks for the recommendations everyone.

I think German is a good language to learn for future missionary work. It seems to me many German speaking countries are in need of holy enthusiastic missionaries who can give a little (or a lot) of inspiration to the faithful there (and the unfaithful). I have always thought that when God sends enough sisters for the Missionaries of the Liturgy, our first foreign mission would be in a German speaking country. I do know German quite well because I have relatives in Switzerland (some of whom are older and don't speak English) and I've also seen in Switzerland how few people practice their faith. If you think you can learn enough German to make it useful--go for it!