An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is This Torture

Groo the Wanderer

Do you think each of these scenarios is torture?  

83 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There should also be another option:

"Force-feeding the truth and actual facts to ignorant geniuses"

:)

I refuse to vote on this, cause...well..it's ridiculous and ridicules(sp?) the topic.

-----

"(sorry, but 90%+ are Muslim)"

LOL! Uh huh. Umm heard of South America?...Heard of Africa?...Asia?...

The world doesn't consist of just America and big bad evil Arabs.

There's nothing wrong with causing a terrorist some rather intense discomfort in interrogation, if the information provided can help save many innocent lives.
Terrorists are bad dudes, so sometimes its necessary to play rough.

I know this will brand me as a heretic by some, but I believe human lives are infinitely more important than the comfort of some terrorist.
("Well too bad thousands of people had to die because we couldn't find out where the bomb was, but heck, we wouldn't want to be too rough on some poor terrorist!")

[quote name='Socrates' post='1411290' date='Oct 29 2007, 10:24 PM']There's nothing wrong with causing a terrorist some rather intense discomfort in interrogation, if the information provided can help save many innocent lives.
Terrorists are bad dudes, so sometimes its necessary to play rough.

I know this will brand me as a heretic by some, but I believe human lives are infinitely more important than the comfort of some terrorist.
("Well too bad thousands of people had to die because we couldn't find out where the bomb was, but heck, we wouldn't want to be too rough on some poor terrorist!")[/quote]

Conservative Values

Spiritual Principles

[quote name='S][N' post='1411197' date='Oct 29 2007, 06:18 PM']
There should also be another option:

"Force-feeding the truth and actual facts to ignorant geniuses"

:)

I refuse to vote on this, cause...well..it's ridiculous and ridicules(sp?) the topic.

-----

"(sorry, but 90%+ are Muslim)"

LOL! Uh huh. Umm heard of South America?...Heard of Africa?...Asia?...

The world doesn't consist of just America and big bad evil Arabs.[/quote]
All Arabs aren't Muslim. Arab and Muslim aren't synonyms.

Many terrorists in Africa are Muslim (Somalia leaps to mind. Warlords in Sudan...)

Muslims are not limited by geography.

What is the percentage? I'm certain it's not 90%+.

Solzhenitsyn describes sleep deprivation with a great deal of detail in [i]Gulag[/i], which should be required high school reading IMHO. The Communists used it to incredible effect in getting political prisoners to "confess" to all kinds of "crimes," many of never actually happened and were dreamed up for purposes of indictment.

His point was that if you starve someone of sleep for long enough, they will say anything they think you want to hear. He definitely considered it torture... and so did we, when it was the Soviets who were doing it.

Yesterday, the Navy surgically removed my ingrown toenail, and then refused to let me go back to my barracks so I could take my narcotic and go to bed! I was limping around at work on my cut up, bloody foot all day so much it made my foot hurt worse. Last night I took so much of the narcotic they gave me so I could sleep through the pain that I slept through my alarm and was an hour late for work. To [i]punish me[/i] for my lateness I now have to show up at another clinic on a different base at 6:30 in the morning for the next week. I have to get up about two hours earlier than usual in order to make it there on time. That's sleep deprivation people!

Someone call Amnesty International, I'm a victim of military torture!

[quote name='S][N' post='1411368' date='Oct 30 2007, 12:21 AM']
OMG Winchester...heard of sarcasm?...

LawL.[/quote]
Yes, I have.

That wasn't sarcasm. That was a knee-jerk response and you made an error. Sarcasm is pretty easy to pick out. As are mistakes born of youth and inexperience.

kenrockthefirst

You can put lipstick on a pig...

Peeps, here's the deal: if we start doing this, [i]carry on[/i] doing this stuff, really, we've taken one step on a slippery slope toward being just like the Bad Guys.

Using the euphemism, "running cold water over their head" for waterboarding doesn't change the fact that it's waterboarding. If the Bad Guys were doing it to our service personnel - and, yes, they have done and are doing much worse things - you'd be up in arms.

Finally, torture is counter-productive. It doesn't result in good intel, and it contributes to the cycle of hatred and revenge that, for example, partially fuels the insurgency in Iraq. Be honest: if you had been a prisoner in Abu Ghraib and were subject to "enhanced interrogation," the first thing you'd do when you got out would be to grab an AK-47.

dairygirl4u2c

there is one person who apparently is against it.

but, i bet most would said this stuff is torture are only defining it as torture techincally, not as per what's allowable etc. and tehy probably are for more intense sorts of torture.

i think it's crazy to not intensely torture them. frankly, i'd use hard core torture too. these are terrorists, presumably. some misktakes will be made yes.
we're not against killing them. why not torture? i know it's worse to some people, and probaly most depending on the situatino. but, if it gets info, doing something worse than killing is warranted.

i find it immoral to not torture them.