An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Does One Expect From Prayer?

carrdero

Much of my time on Phatmass has been devoted to reading posts from other members who are continually praying for me. It would often make me wonder not only about the purpose of prayer but also if people knew exactly what they were praying for (for example; the reason).

Was there ever a time when anyone has had their prayers answered?

Was there any time when these answered prayers could not have been qualified by God?

What are the circumstances when one’s prayers aren’t answered?

Was there any time when these unanswered prayers could not have been qualified by God?

How can one tie in the successful (or unsuccessful) answered prayers to the will of God rather than the will of the person praying?

[quote name='carrdero' post='1411007' date='Oct 29 2007, 08:39 PM']Was there any time when these answered prayers could not have been qualified by God?[/quote]
God has always answered my prayers. Sometimes its with a "yes", sometimes with a "no", and sometimes with a "You gotta be kidding..." :)

a friend of mine shared this quote with me years ago...

[b]Prayer may not change things for you,
but it will change you for things.[/b]

[quote name='Justin86' post='1411024' date='Oct 29 2007, 08:29 AM']God has always answered my prayers. Sometimes its with a "yes", sometimes with a "no", and sometimes with a "You gotta be kidding..." :)[/quote]

I have been told something similar to this. God always answers prays. He answers them with a yes, no or a not yet.

[quote name='carrdero' post='1411007' date='Oct 29 2007, 06:39 AM']Much of my time on Phatmass has been devoted to reading posts from other members who are continually praying for me. It would often make me wonder not only about the purpose of prayer but also if people knew exactly what they were praying for (for example; the reason).
Was there ever a time when anyone has had their prayers answered?

Was there any time when these answered prayers could not have been qualified by God?

What are the circumstances when one’s prayers aren’t answered?

Was there any time when these unanswered prayers could not have been qualified by God?

How can one tie in the successful (or unsuccessful) answered prayers to the will of God rather than the will of the person praying?[/quote]

My personal prayers are more of the please-oh-please God help me with (insert problem). Mostly I pray for relief from anxiety, which I still have but deal with. I think prayer helps cultivate gratitude, which in turn helps me see the world outside of my own little narrow perspective, that can be an overwhelming part of me. Simple gratitude for God's creation, for being alive, is the "answer" for me. lol....I sound so upbeat and positive! I can't just expect God to give me an answer, I'm part of the process to. I'm still working on that one though.