An Old School Catholic Message Board

Solidarity

dairygirl4u2c

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

why don't you hear about solidarity as much as subsidiarity, from catholic social teachings? or do you hear of them just as much?
maybe i shouldn't ask this until the poll is answered...

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

Actually, subsidarity is very rarely spoken of in Catholic Social Justice circles... which is why I like to emphasize it so much. Why do you think so many Catholics have this perception that the democrats are in line with the Church on economics and the republicans on moral issues? Because no one focuses on the fact that things ought to be done at the lower levels.

Personally, I focus on all aspects of social justice, but like to go around emphasizing subsidarity in order to put everyone's social justice ideas in perspective.

dairygirl4u2c

good point on the catholics and perceptions thing. that is true.
but i also think subsidiarity is tauted a lot.

why i think the perception of democrats and catholics equial is true is complex. most of it's a misunderstanding of what it means to be nice to others, most of it's misplaced.

if you look at the limits of subsidiarity.... like what does "incompetent" to do thir duties mean... and the limits of solidarity.... "government can be involved", whatever that means... how do you square them?
i think this just allows people to claim either however they want.

you'd think if the percdeption of dem/catho exists though, you'd hear of solidarity more. maybe cause i hang around conservatives too much and live in a conservative area. i really don't know.
the poll might be informative.

I don't see subsidarity and solidarity as conflicting principals, though. They work hand in hand, solidarity has to be understood in the context of subsidarity, solidarity never nullifies subsidarity, it's always still preferable to empower the locality to take care of itself.

Well, growing up right off Milwaukee Ave. - the traditional Polish street in Chicago - I heard a lot more about Solidarity and Lech Walesa than subsidiarity during the 1980s.....