An Old School Catholic Message Board

Medical Marijuana

dairygirl4u2c

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ash Wednesday

I don't really have a problem with marijuana being legalized for medical purposes, but from what (little) I've read I think it would be better administered in the alternative vaporized form rather than smoked.

i think some of the pot now'a days is so strong that it is very dangerous. More dangerous then alcahaul (sp) . I think alot of what the older generations smoked was not nearly as strong as whats avaible today. I feel anything in and of its self in moderation can not be inherently considered evil, but then again if your smokeing so much pot or so strong of pot that it messes up ur mind then ur in dangerous waters.

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...
fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1440104' date='Dec 30 2007, 06:23 PM']I think if a person is ill, they have a right to any drug that will make them more comfortable and ease their pain.[/quote]

what?! let's alter their state of consciousness so that they can be a little more comfortable? what about redemptive suffering, guys, does it no longer have a value?

goldenchild17

It definitely does. But I'm sure there's a functional limit for most anybody and the fact still remains, whether one chooses this option or the surely more honorable option of suffering, that it is still allowed by the Church, unless my reference is way off, which I'm open to but haven't seen a contrary position from an equal or higher authority source.

Laudate_Dominum

The side effects of marijuana, and possibility of addiction/abuse, are probably not as bad as some prescription drugs that few people would argue about (I'm just speculating). And I'm sure the side effect of getting stoned is something that some people like (I'm goofing around here). I've seen the effects of valium, morphine and similar drugs so why is weed considered so extreme? I'm not saying it should be accepted by default, but I wonder how much the cultural taboo comes into play on an issue which ought to be objective and scientific.

goldenchild17

exactly, and I've been on painkillers like morphine. Lot's of experience with morphine. Lemme tell ya, it makes you feel real good ;). Though for a time you do lose some ability to think and speak clearly. I personally have never tried pot (which is funny considering my open support for it) but I can't imagine it being a lot different from something like morphine.

frenchroyalist3

I didn't vote since I think it would be better for it to be legalized alltogether. Guess technically a no, eh?
Anyway, let me start by saying I abhor drug use. I've seen what it does to people. I also abhor the war on drugs. I've also seen what that's done. My state had one of the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockefeller_drug_laws"]toughest laws[/url] in the country and was total overkill. I also think the drug trade would take a massive hit and drug lords would lose a lot of money. Crime would likely go down too since there would be a lot fewer botched drug deals. Finally, it would help with prison over crowding and they wouldn't have to let murderers an other violent offenders out early.
Marijuana has it's side effects but so does tobacco, alcohol, and meat. I certainly hope the government doesn't bad those! The key is moderation, of course. Heck, cough syrup and other over the counter medicines are legal and it's pretty easy to get addicted to that stuff.

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1452994' date='Jan 30 2008, 05:37 PM']exactly, and I've been on painkillers like morphine. Lot's of experience with morphine. Lemme tell ya, it makes you feel real good ;) . Though for a time you do lose some ability to think and speak clearly. I personally have never tried pot (which is funny considering my open support for it) but I can't imagine it being a lot different from something like morphine.[/quote]

It is a lot different from morphine. Morphine is a very addictive narcotic and pot is just a psychologically addictive non narcotic. You can function on pot and you really can't on morphine unless you take it so often it has little effect. Although pot and valium is pretty good. Not that I would ever advocate any of that for the general public.

HeavenlyCalling

Although I would never do it personally, I believe it should be legal all the time. As a person with libertarian views I dont think the government can tell you what to do and not to do with your mind/body. You want to mess it up? The fault is yours and yours alone.

goldenchild17

[quote name='Deb' post='1453188' date='Jan 30 2008, 09:43 PM']It is a lot different from morphine. Morphine is a very addictive narcotic and pot is just a psychologically addictive non narcotic. You can function on pot and you really can't on morphine unless you take it so often it has little effect. Although pot and valium is pretty good. Not that I would ever advocate any of that for the general public.[/quote]

ok thanks. I wasn't sure which it was more similar too. I just commented because I've had a good amount of experience with morphine for medical purposes, and I know how that has made me feel when I was on it.

goldenchild17

[quote name='frenchroyalist3' post='1453182' date='Jan 30 2008, 09:37 PM']I didn't vote since I think it would be better for it to be legalized alltogether. Guess technically a no, eh?
Anyway, let me start by saying I abhor drug use. I've seen what it does to people. I also abhor the war on drugs. I've also seen what that's done. My state had one of the [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockefeller_drug_laws"]toughest laws[/url] in the country and was total overkill. I also think the drug trade would take a massive hit and drug lords would lose a lot of money. Crime would likely go down too since there would be a lot fewer botched drug deals. Finally, it would help with prison over crowding and they wouldn't have to let murderers an other violent offenders out early.
Marijuana has it's side effects but so does tobacco, alcohol, and meat. I certainly hope the government doesn't bad those! The key is moderation, of course. Heck, cough syrup and other over the counter medicines are legal and it's pretty easy to get addicted to that stuff.[/quote]

very good points.