An Old School Catholic Message Board

Medical Marijuana

dairygirl4u2c

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

dairygirl4u2c

usually, i have a nuanced view of whether people have rational views or not on different political subjects. on this subject, it's not too nuanced; i think it's irrational to say no.
i think some states have said no..

goldenchild17

I haven't voted yet. Must be the hippie in me, but personally I don't have such a big problem with small amounts of marijuana in general. I think that its gotten stronger and has had more carp put in it in recent years, but I think the weaker stuff shouldn't be illlegal in general (not just for medical purposes). Not strong enough to make you lose your mental faculties, but enough to help one relax.

I think for certain very limited medical reasons it should be allowed, but I do not think marijuana should generally be decriminalized. I had a hit or two in my youth trying to fit in. I used to think that it wasn't any worse than alcohol. The new research coming out of the UK, Sweden and Australia, shows that for those with a genetic pre-disposition to schizophrenia, marijuana use greatly increases your likelihood of progressing to full blown illness.

• 1 month later...
elizabeth_jane

I believe it should be allowed for medicinal purposes. Having had extremely bad bouts of nausea during college and being in the hospital, I had a nurse tell me once that if marijuana was legal, they would've given it to me!
The dangers of marijuana as compared to morphine, etc., which are used in common medical practice, have not been seen to be substantially greater (at least in no study that I'm aware of). Morphine and its derivatives also have addictive qualities, but we still use them as an acceptable part of pain management.

RobeofJustice

Here in Cali its legal for Medical use.

I live in Humboldt County where it is the #1 cash crop and everyone knows the econony here depends upon its production.

I'm sure even Medically it is abused here and everywhere.

[quote name='RobeofJustice' post='1428193' date='Dec 2 2007, 02:34 PM']I live in Humboldt County where it is the #1 cash crop and everyone knows the econony here depends upon its production.[/quote]
Try #1 cash crop in the U.S. :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
goldenchild17

Something interesting I came across during my daily reading which I think helps to somewhat justify my initial belief. Something like marijuana allowed in small quantities if there is a justifiable reason for doing so. It would be venially sinful if small amounts are taken for no reason at all. Though I don't think this applies in places where such products are illegal as I believe the Church requires us to submit to lawful authority in matters that do not compromise our faith.

Fr. Heribert Jone "Moral Theology" copyright 1961 - page 110:

" Since [i]morpine, opium, chloroform[/i] and similar drugs can also deprive one of the use of his reason temporarily, that which was said of intoxicating drinks holds true also for narcotics (Cf. 165, 4).

a) To use narcotics in small quantities and only occasionally, is a venial sin if done without a sufficient reason. Any proportionately good reason justifies their use, e.g., to calm the nerves, dispel insomnia, etc.

Sucn use becomes gravely sinful if it creates an habitual craving for "dope" which is more difficult to overcome than dipsomania and more injurious to health."

Edited by goldenchild17

I really don't know how to answer because even where it is legal for medical reasons, abuse is rampant. I have seen that it is helpful for MS and glaucoma but it really needs to be controlled better.

goldenchild17

True, abuses happen. But they happen with alcohol which the Church says is okay in moderation as well. The existence of abuses don't invalidate a thing. Otherwise the Mass (novus ordo or Tridentine) would also have to be outlawed.

I voted yes. Marijuana should be legal period. It has pretty much already been decriminalized with just a fine for small amounts. The only people making money off illegal sales are the criminals. Medical studies have all indicated it is safe for use for many ailments.
Abuse of most drugs have to do with the person, not the drug.

elizabeth_jane

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1440104' date='Dec 30 2007, 08:23 PM']I think if a person is ill, they have a right to any drug that will make them more comfortable and ease their pain.[/quote]

I concurr.

Spamity Calamity

[quote name='Mercy me' post='1437564' date='Dec 22 2007, 02:41 PM']I really don't know how to answer because even where it is legal for medical reasons, abuse is rampant. I have seen that it is helpful for MS and glaucoma but it really needs to be controlled better.[/quote]

I agree with this. I dont think it should be available to the general public. But you shouldnt go to prison for growing it or having a large amount of it either. It should simply be confiscated and a fine levyied equal to its street value. This way it stays underground and keeps operations limited to the cottage industry level. The people who want it can get it much easier and the criminals do not have as large part in its production and profit and we wouldn't see it being sold at Wal-Mart either.

CatholicAndFanatical

I have always wondered what the Church's stance is on this. I personally feel it is no worse than Alcohol and the only thing wrong with it is that it's illegal (at least in Indiana).

The ONLY reason why its not legal is because the government can't profit from it or control who gets the money. So basically its a money issue. If they were able to get a tax from it, they would definitely legalize it.