An Old School Catholic Message Board

Moderates Moderately Use Moderate Religion

Paddington

dairygirl4u2c

i think there are at least three types of moderats you should note.

the first, is the wishy washy ones. they just are too lazy or spineless to research and take a stand.

the second, is most political writers of historical scholarship. conservative v. liberal are modern values, in no way indicative of truth, necessarily. probability wise, todays cons and liberals are just a random snippet of history, and tomarrows will think their versions are the truth. so, to the current standard of conservative v. liberal, most writers etc did not fall on the end of the spectrum, and would be called moderate by many standards. even though their views were often radical in their time, or at least in their own right irrespective of the party's of their time.

the third, i guess could be part of the second as per knowledge and motives. it's anyone with a brain that sees beyond the rhetoric of right and left, and have firm views in their beliefs, and realize nuance and that things depend on the situation, facts matter. these people are not the same as the people in the first group. different knowledge and motives entirely.

dairygirl4u2c

it's hot says liberal. it's cold says the conservative. wait, isn't the reality that it's 80 degrees and lukewarm? am i a mindless moderate to say it's lukewarm?

the animal is a male says the conservative. it's a female says the liberal. wait, doesn't it depend on its chromosomes and genitalia? must be a crazy moderate huh.

this is all why i prefer "other" as opposed to moderate. now, if you want to start a thread for "others" by all means. i think it's a harder group to pin down though as the beliefs are so varying.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Socrates' post='1410865' date='Oct 28 2007, 07:53 PM']Being "moderate" is overrated. Usually just means a liberal who's afraid to call himself one, or someone afraid to take a real stance.

You know what happens to the balls of the man who straddles the fence.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" ~ Sen. Barry Goldwater, 1964 (in his better days)[/quote]
You're definition of a moderate is someone who is wishy washy. Mine is someone who doesnt base their choices on whether it's liberal or conservative, rather, they deal with each thing separately and forms an opinion on each.

I take real stances on everything, thank you very much.