An Old School Catholic Message Board

Moderates Moderately Use Moderate Religion

Paddington

you can get hit by both the north bound and southbound traffic by walking in the middle of the road, it seems to work for many.

splat

I'm a moderate and am late responding because I've just been out of town. Some would say that I am a fiscal conservative, and a social liberal. Moderate doesn't mean no opinion. I have opinions about everything. I consider picket lines one of my favorite past times. I'm just open minded enough to listen to what other people's opinions are, and strong willed enough to know things that there can be no compromise on. I really believe in the adage that I don't agree with you, but would fight to the death for your right to say it. Part of my moderation comes from over 1000 hours of mediation training and several thousand mediations performed. In the beginning all I wanted to do is knock their heads together and tell them what to do. Then I began to see to process work. I also firmly believe that our world is being torn apart by polarization and extremism.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1410677' date='Oct 28 2007, 12:16 PM']I'm a moderate and am late responding because I've just been out of town. Some would say that I am a fiscal conservative, and a social liberal. Moderate doesn't mean no opinion. I have opinions about everything. I consider picket lines one of my favorite past times. I'm just open minded enough to listen to what other people's opinions are, and strong willed enough to know things that there can be no compromise on. I really believe in the adage that I don't agree with you, but would fight to the death for your right to say it. Part of my moderation comes from over 1000 hours of mediation training and several thousand mediations performed. In the beginning all I wanted to do is knock their heads together and tell them what to do. Then I began to see to process work. I also firmly believe that our world is being torn apart by polarization and extremism.[/quote]
Exactly. Being a moderate means having an opinion on everything, but not necessarily all the same kinds of opinions to be labled a liberal or conservative.

Being "moderate" is overrated. Usually just means a liberal who's afraid to call himself one, or someone afraid to take a real stance.

You know what happens to the balls of the man who straddles the fence.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" ~ Sen. Barry Goldwater, 1964 (in his better days)

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1410870' date='Oct 28 2007, 09:00 PM']"Only a Sith deals in absolutes" ~ Obi Wan Kenobi (in his better days)[/quote]
Relativist.

At a first glance, yes, but I think Obi Wan meant something else (in his better days)... I think the "absolutes" were taking things the way a Pharisee would. That is, stick by the rules absolutely in order to gain something for themselves... sorta like the Lawful Evil alignment... Anyways, maybe I'm reading into Obi Wan's better days too much.

[edit]From my statement above, I think there is evidence of me playing too many computer games :ninja:

Edited by Sacred Music Man

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1410884' date='Oct 28 2007, 09:32 PM'][edit]From my statement above, I think there is evidence of me playing too many computer games :ninja:[/quote]

Yup.

Sometimes a person is moderate because their views on various issues balance out that way. I'd be one of those, though I'm not rearing to go for a cage death match.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1410884' date='Oct 29 2007, 12:32 PM']At a first glance, yes, but I think Obi Wan meant something else (in his better days)... I think the "absolutes" were taking things the way a Pharisee would. That is, stick by the rules absolutely in order to gain something for themselves... sorta like the Lawful Evil alignment... Anyways, maybe I'm reading into Obi Wan's better days too much.[/quote]
Or maybe you're just reading too much into a movie? :blink:

Everything in Moderation

EVERYTHING in moderation, that includes moderation in moderation; and be moderate about putting moderation in moderation, don't put all of your moderation in moderation. And be moderate about being moderate about putting moderation in moderation... which really just adds up to being extremely moderate, in a moderate way

For anyone who wishes to learn about the Moderate mindset, I would suggest reading G. K. Chesterton's [b][u]The Ball and the Cross[/u][/b].

As for what I think of the Moderate mindset, well, it's summed up here:
[quote]15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot. I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 But because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will begin to vomit thee out of my mouth.[/quote]
[size=1][i]Note: I prefer the Douay-Rheims use of "vomit" over the euphemistic "spew" used in the RSV-CE. [/i][/size]

Edited by Dismas

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1410884' date='Oct 28 2007, 09:32 PM']At a first glance, yes, but I think Obi Wan meant something else (in his better days)... I think the "absolutes" were taking things the way a Pharisee would. That is, stick by the rules absolutely in order to gain something for themselves... sorta like the Lawful Evil alignment... Anyways, maybe I'm reading into Obi Wan's better days too much.

[edit]From my statement above, I think there is evidence of me playing too many computer games :ninja:[/quote]
Obi-Wan's better days were when he was played by Alec Guiness, rather than Ewan McGregor.

[quote name='Dismas' post='1411199' date='Oct 29 2007, 06:22 PM']For anyone who wishes to learn about the Moderate mindset, I would suggest reading G. K. Chesterton's [b][u]The Ball and the Cross[/u][/b].

As for what I think of the Moderate mindset, well, it's summed up here:

[size=1][i]Note: I prefer the Douay-Rheims use of "vomit" over the euphemistic "spew" used in the RSV-CE. [/i][/size][/quote]
I see your point. But I think it is said that all things in moderation except when it comes to worshiping and following the Lord. I think thats where things get hot/cold. :D

[quote name='Socrates' post='1410873' date='Oct 29 2007, 12:04 PM']Relativist.[/quote]
You don't understand it's the job of the Jedi to "return balance to the Force..." :lol: