An Old School Catholic Message Board

Torture

kujo

Torture  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='S][N' post='1409775' date='Oct 27 2007, 08:31 AM']
This will be interesting to see the responses. The Church condemns torture (as far I know from it's teachings) in all forms. YET because your question involves "to thwart an attack on the US", people will twist and undermine Church teaching in favour of political agenda's.

Same thing happened with the Iraq war. The Church was against it in completeness, yet people ignored that and numerous sites, Catholic blogs and forums were filled with; 'Why the Iraq war is just', 'Why Saddam should be killed' etc.[/quote]

I agree - a double-standard? a pope unto themselves? a selective adherence to the rules?

Groo the Wanderer

I voted yes...not because I oppose the Church on her teachings regarding torture, but rather because I oppose the loose definitions applied to the word 'torture' these days.

Bamboo sticks under the fingernails, pruning shears to the digits, electrocutions, drowning, beatings....are torture and I do not condone them at all, nor anything like them.

Waterboarding, psych warfare, sleep deprivation, loud music, unlimited free coffee with no potty break...are NOT torture and I DO support the use of these and similar techniques.

:ninja:

That's called MENTAL TORTURE Groo. Just because it doesn't harm you physically straight away doesn't mean it's not torture. Mental torture is far worse than physical.

And by supporting these you are in contradiction with the Church, I'm sure theres some form of punishment for that, such as no Communion perhaps.

..Wow can't believe your 23....perhaps you should start acting like it towards topics like this. Of course that'd require knowledge and not spoon feeding...

[quote name='S][N' post='1410252' date='Oct 27 2007, 09:01 PM']
..Wow can't believe your 23....perhaps you should start acting like it towards topics like this. Of course that'd require knowledge and not spoon feeding...[/quote]

I happen to have a very intimate relationship with all types of torture includign metal, physical...I've had things forced under my fingernails....if someone pushes too hard they can make your nails fall off....it happens...

[quote name='S][N' post='1410384' date='Oct 28 2007, 01:42 AM']
Wow..cracking jokes about torture...how mature.[/quote]

I have humor about my life, thats not immature...and thats a tame story I have personal torture stories that would be censored faster than I could post it

[quote name='S][N' post='1410217' date='Oct 28 2007, 08:35 AM']
That's called MENTAL TORTURE Groo. Just because it doesn't harm you physically straight away doesn't mean it's not torture. Mental torture is far worse than physical.

And by supporting these you are in contradiction with the Church, I'm sure theres some form of punishment for that, such as no Communion perhaps.[/quote]
Care to share with us what interrogation techniques you [i]do[/i] support?

1. The question was posed to S[]N.

2. S[]N's definition of torture are so broad it makes one wonder how he would go about interrogating a criminal if he had too.

I wonder if there are any particular guidelines regarding psychological warfare... I mean I guess any form of interrogation has psychological elements, since you're trying to induce them to let the cat out of the bag? I imagine you couldn't do things that would override their will etc ?