An Old School Catholic Message Board

Organ Donation

Autumn Dusk

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Obedient2one

I think this question is one of the flesh and one of pride and forgiveness. Human tissue is part of God's creation no matter who it comes from! Once a person dies their soul no longer energizes that tissue. Therefore I would consider any tissue given before or after death, to save a life, part of God's plan. Even if it came from a murder.

The next point is one of pride and forgiveness. Could that person humble themselves enough to forgive the transgressions of others and ask for that life saving gift.

Circle_Master

Come on, this is the best debate out there! My my, how long have I been gone.

Neither are immoral. Morality deals with the character of God and his statutes which in this case, do not apply.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Circle_Master' post='1415911' date='Nov 7 2007, 10:21 PM']Come on, this is the best debate out there! My my, how long have I been gone.

Neither are immoral. Morality deals with the character of God and his statutes which in this case, do not apply.[/quote]
:shock: Cirlcle_Master!!!!! :yahoo:

AWESOME! How've you been?? :cheers:

Circle_Master

Long time no argue!

I'm well. Married now to a wonderful wife. Been sick a bit but I'm healthy enough. Hopefully hitting up grad school next year in old testament exegesis :-).

I'm curious how many old faces I'll see on here. Or how many will recognize me.

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='Circle_Master' post='1415918' date='Nov 7 2007, 10:27 PM']Long time no argue![/quote]
Too true, hopefully that can be remedied.

[quote name='Circle_Master' post='1415918' date='Nov 7 2007, 10:27 PM']I'm well. Married now to a wonderful wife. Been sick a bit but I'm healthy enough. Hopefully hitting up grad school next year in old testament exegesis :-).[/quote]
How cool! I'm married now too, haha. OT exegesis? Sweet. Hopefully you'll be sharing some of the phat stuff you've learned over the years. :cool:

[quote name='Circle_Master' post='1415918' date='Nov 7 2007, 10:27 PM']I'm curious how many old faces I'll see on here. Or how many will recognize me.[/quote]
You're still famous in my opinion. I'm sure there are lots of peeps who will be stoked.

• 4 weeks later...
elizabeth_jane

[quote name='chelsea' post='1407156' date='Oct 22 2007, 11:42 AM']first of all, there are standards for donating or receiving an organ. You have to be brain damaged to donate, you cant just die and then they take your organs. So the inmate scenario is out. If he was in a knife fight i doubt he would qualify to be a donor.

There is nothing immoral about asking your former family for a kidney. It is up to them if they are going to be charitable.[/quote]

Technical point--you have to be brain DEAD, not brain DAMAGED. Suitability for organ donation is based on medical factors, and what organs are available to be donated vary from person to person. A person's heart, for example, may be viable, but the liver is not. Or whatever.

I had a double lung transplant in 2005, so that's why I know these things. :)
the Church says that donation is an act of charity and therefore a good thing. However donation must be voluntary and can't be coerced. And, obviously, strict medical standards must be followed so we're not taking organs from people who may recover. That's why the medical community uses brain activity as a standard.