An Old School Catholic Message Board

Organ Donation

Autumn Dusk

Scenario 1
Through no fault of your own your heart/liver fails. A liver/heart becomes available. Its from a inmate who murdered and abused who died in a knife fight.

Scenario 2
You are adopted through the foster care system, removed for good reason, no relative wanted you. Years later you're fighting a kidney disease and needed a new kidney. The chances of getting a stranger donated kidney are almost nil. However, you can go to your original family and ask them.

This came up in a discussion and I'm (again) confused of being narrow minded. So, go at it, what would you do, what is considered moral?

As to receiving an organ from a bad person, I'd be receiving some of their flesh, not their soul. It might be the only redeeming thing that person might ever have done in their life, so you are perhaps helping them achieve purgatory by receiving the gift.

As to receiving an organ from a family that didn't want you, just because they didn't want you or were incapable of taking care of you when you were a kid, doesn't mean they haven't regretted it, and wished they could go back and make a different decision. Allowing them to give an organ may mean that you are allowing them to atone.

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1406918' date='Oct 21 2007, 11:43 PM']Scenario 1
Through no fault of your own your heart/liver fails. A liver/heart becomes available. Its from a inmate who murdered and abused who died in a knife fight.

Scenario 2
You are adopted through the foster care system, removed for good reason, no relative wanted you. Years later you're fighting a kidney disease and needed a new kidney. The chances of getting a stranger donated kidney are almost nil. However, you can go to your original family and ask them.
This came up in a discussion and I'm (again) confused of being narrow minded. So, go at it, what would you do, what is considered moral?[/quote]

first of all, there are standards for donating or receiving an organ. You have to be brain damaged to donate, you cant just die and then they take your organs. So the inmate scenario is out. If he was in a knife fight i doubt he would qualify to be a donor.

There is nothing immoral about asking your former family for a kidney. It is up to them if they are going to be charitable.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='chelsea' post='1407156' date='Oct 22 2007, 12:42 PM']first of all, there are standards for donating or receiving an organ. You have to be brain damaged to donate, you cant just die and then they take your organs. So the inmate scenario is out. If he was in a knife fight i doubt he would qualify to be a donor.

There is nothing immoral about asking your former family for a kidney. It is up to them if they are going to be charitable.[/quote]
Taking organs from a person that results in their death is murder.

I think it's doable to live w/ one kidney or a half liver.

[quote name='Chelsea']You have to be brain damaged to donate, you cant just die and then they take your organs.[/quote]
Where'd you get that from?

To answer the original question:
I can't find any reason why either of the scenarios are necessarily immoral. Scenario 2 sounds like it might be awkward (and humbling), but not immoral.

[quote name='scardella' post='1407193' date='Oct 22 2007, 01:35 PM']I think it's doable to live w/ one kidney or a half liver.
Where'd you get that from?

To answer the original question:
I can't find any reason why either of the scenarios are necessarily immoral. Scenario 2 sounds like it might be awkward (and humbling), but not immoral.[/quote]

certain organs you cant take unless the person dies in a specific way.

kidneys and livers i dont think apply, i obviously misread the thread.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='scardella' post='1407193' date='Oct 22 2007, 05:35 PM']I think it's doable to live w/ one kidney or a half liver.[/quote]

John Locke is doing just fine with only one kidney. . .and I miss [i]Lost[/i]. But yeah, provided the other kidney is healthy, it is possible to live with just one, from what I've heard. Of course, I'm no expert.

My mom had her right kidney removed in 1939, after scarlet fever knocked it out. She just had her 85th birthday. The scar looks like an upside down autopsy incision on her back. Now when they take a kidney out it is a small scar on your side. When she goes to new doctors, they can't even tell what she had done from her scar. They think she was in some horrible car accident. She's never had to have dialysis which is a good thing since it wasn't invented yet in 1939, and her remaining kidney has grown to twice the normal size.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1407461' date='Oct 22 2007, 07:27 PM']My mom had her right kidney removed in 1939, after scarlet fever knocked it out. She just had her 85th birthday. The scar looks like an upside down autopsy incision on her back.[/quote]

:shock: She's still alive when she had her 85th birthday in 1939!?!?

I got razzed becuase I would take from the dead convict but not from the relatives....oh well I guess I'm not logical