An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hey Steubie Barons

catholicinsd

[quote name='Hashbrowns' post='1405556' date='Oct 19 2007, 03:47 PM']so, what did *you* do with your 10 grand?[/quote]

I don't have ten grand at the moment. However if I did then the poor would benefit.

Education is expensive, man. My kid brother goes to a state school - Miami in Oxford, Ohio - and the tuition is $23,000. State residents get a hefty residency scholarship, but still. And that's with the fellas in Columbus helping out.

Many state schools are operating at a deficit and are boosting their tuition fees. My alma mater raised tuition 18% by the time I graduated :mellow:

Who cares, anyway? Nobody forces anyone to go to Steubie. Should no one go there? Or to other expensive schools? How do we justify a Harvard education, a Dartmouth education, a Notre Dame education? Should we pull down Yale and distribute the saved tuition money to the poor? In ten years, the poor would still be with us.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1405540' date='Oct 19 2007, 03:29 PM']Again a state school averages about $10,000 less than FUS annual tution. This is 10 grand that could serve the poor, not only at the bottom of the hill, but around the world.[/quote]

Again, a state school costs just as much, it's just that the government subsidizes the cost. If FUS became a state school to lower their tuition (since the operating cost would remain the same), they would not be able to have theology or a number of other courses and then no one would be trained to evangelize. Sometimes good things cost money. I'm sorry, but that's simply the way things are. It is more important that the poor hear the Gospel than that they receive money. Jesus told people to go and give everything to the poor and that is important, but as regarded His own practices, it was a Messianic sign that "the poor have the good news proclaimed to them" (Luke 7:22), so I'd consider that more important. If I have to pay $23,000/year to get the education I need to do that, then I'm going to pay it.

I don't understand why you have completely overlooked all my points about the good work FUS does in its local community and elsewhere. I think it's very rude for you to make accusations without backing them up.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1405545' date='Oct 19 2007, 03:35 PM']Most state also have Newman Center, where you could visit Jesus daily.[/quote]

I think most Newman Centers don't have perpetual or even frequent adoration.

It feels crappy writing that check, driving through town or not. I'm going to Steubenville, and do you know how much financial aid i got? nothing. And my brothers and sisters are going to a Catholic school at home. Oh, and lookie, it's more expensive for them to go to a Catholic school than the public school. A LOT more. And there are slums and ghetos there, too. But i would be severly *ticked* if my parents decided that it was more important to give money to the poor than to give their children a good Catholic education.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1405570' date='Oct 19 2007, 03:56 PM']I wanna know have it feels to write that check at registration after driving through the town.[/quote]
Hmmm...supporting the education of a catechist who can then go out and preach the Gospel to the poor...it felt pretty good.

Of course, I didn't write a check...I took out loans.

Catholicinsd, you're on thin ice. You're not debating, you're just making inflammatory statements about a good and well-respected, generous school known internationally for leadership in service to the poor.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1405572' date='Oct 19 2007, 03:57 PM']Sometimes good things cost money. I'm sorry, but that's simply the way things are. It is more important that the poor hear the Gospel than that they receive money. Jesus told people to go and give everything to the poor and that is important, but as regarded His own practices, it was a Messianic sign that "the poor have the good news proclaimed to them" (Luke 7:22), so I'd consider that more important. If I have to pay $23,000/year to get the education I need to do that, then I'm going to pay it.

I don't understand why you have completely overlooked all my points about the good work FUS does in its local community and elsewhere. I think it's very rude for you to make accusations without backing them up.
I think most Newman Centers don't have perpetual or even frequent adoration.[/quote]

While the Gospel is important, It doesn't nourish the body.

If the school the has done alot, as you claim then why was the campus bugalarized?

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1405578' date='Oct 19 2007, 06:33 PM']If the school the has done alot, as you claim then why was the campus bugalarized?[/quote]

Why was Christ crucified? He must not have done enough good deeds.

"Chapter 1: Necessity

Why Praying is more important than eating

Eating keeps your body alive, and prayer keeps your soul alive. Praying is more important than eating because your soul is more important than your body."

Peter Kreeft, [u]Prayer For Beginners[/u]. Ignatius Press, San Francisco. 2000.

[quote name='Maggie' post='1405589' date='Oct 19 2007, 04:11 PM']We do not live by bread alone....[/quote]

And without food, we die.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1405578' date='Oct 19 2007, 04:03 PM']While the Gospel is important, It doesn't nourish the body.

If the school the has done alot, as you claim then why was the campus bugalarized?[/quote]
Okay, first, taking care of the body is secondary to taking care of the soul. That's in today's Gospel.

Second, burglars steal whatever they can get. Are you saying that just because FUS has a few nice things for the benefit of its students, it's not practicing charity well enough?

Third, how dare you add "as you claim" to your sentence...do you suppose I'm making all this up? Which of the two of us attended FUS? Which of the two of us saw all the ministries they have?

I think you're really pushing it. Again, I challenge you: you have a computer...why haven't you sold that and given the money to the poor?