An Old School Catholic Message Board

Birth Control

Akalyte

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1406583' date='Oct 21 2007, 02:06 PM']It will be when parents start acting like parents. There are few good, ideal homes hat kids come from anymore. Most parents expect the school to raise their kids, they don't dicipline, they don't care. There are more abused kids than ever, but parents are hiding it better. There are more below the povety line, more single parent households, more domestic violence. Can you really blame the school for trying to prevent things as they see best?[/quote]

That's the whole point - the schools are getting it BACKWARDS! They are corrupting young people by getting them involved with immorality instead of fighting REAL abuse and neglect!

cathoholic_anonymous

Don't get me started on this issue. :annoyed:

I'm the Mental Health Officer for my college. I have a budget of £350 per year. That figure could just about cover the costs of renting a room for the members of the weekly eating disorders support group to use for a year's worth of meetings. Just about. Unfortunately, I can't afford to give them anything, so they have to meet in members' bedrooms. Organising Mental Health Week, running the awareness campaigns, and bringing in outside speakers takes up all the funding.

The students' union provides contraception for free at various points in the year (during Freshers' Week or at their 'Sexpert' advice sessions) and sells heavily subsidised condoms during the rest of the year. Yet they worry because the night-time phone service we provide for students with mental health difficulties is always so low on money. Personally, I am a lot more concerned about students who are feeling ill and frightened in the middle of the night than I am about students who want to have sex in the middle of the night.

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1406620' date='Oct 21 2007, 02:01 PM']That's the whole point - the schools are getting it BACKWARDS! They are corrupting young people by getting them involved with immorality instead of fighting REAL abuse and neglect![/quote]
yup ;)

OmniaInstaurareInChristo

The King Middle School controversy is in my city of Portland, Maine. You can read our bishop's statement here:
[url="http://portlanddiocese.net/newsroom.php?nid=149"]http://portlanddiocese.net/newsroom.php?nid=149[/url]