An Old School Catholic Message Board

Al Gore Wins Nobel Prize

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

[quote]Gore "deeply honored" by Nobel Prize win

Former Vice President Al Gore said today that he is "deeply honored" to win the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize today along with a United Nations panel for their work fighting global warming.

Gore, who is in the Bay Area today, said in a statement that plans to donate the proceeds to the Alliance for Climate Protection, a bipartisan non-profit organization working on the climate crisis. Gore is to meet with the group this morning in Palo Alto.

Gore, 59, who won an Academy Award this year for his documentary, "An Inconvenient Truth," is sharing the Nobel Prize with the United Nations' Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which he said was dedicated to improving the world's understanding of the climate crisis.

"We face a true planetary emergency," Gore said. "The climate crisis is not a political issue, it is a moral and spiritual challenge to all of humanity. It is also our greatest opportunity to lift global consciousness to a higher level.

The Nobel win is sure to ramp up calls for Gore, the 2000 Democratic presidential candidate who won the popular vote and lost the electoral college vote, to make a 2008 run for president.

But a spokeswoman for Gore, Kalee Kreider, said Thursday that while Gore recognizes the efforts of "draft Gore" groups who took out a full page ad in the New York Times this week imploring him to run for President, he doesn't intend to do so.

"Vice President Gore truly appreciates the sentiment of those who contributed to the ad, however, he has no plans to run in 2008," Kreider wrote in an e-mail Thursday to the Chronicle. "He is involved in a campaign-if you want to call it that-of a different kind. He's working to educate Americans and people around the world about the climate crisis and what we can do to solve it".

Still, the Nobel award is sure to fire up members of at least 19 different "Draft Gore" groups. Christopher Vallone, the Northern California coordinator for California Draft Gore, said that he expects an influx of volunteers with today's news.

Even in anticipation of the award, "our organization has grown rapidly over the last month and a half," he said. "We have approximately 1,200 volunteers statewide who are working to collect 500 signatures in each of the 53 congressional districts, which will allow us to place Al Gore on the CA primary ballot."

Democrats said the news served as validation of Gore's longtime efforts - not only on the political, but the environmental front as well.

"The former vice president has proven he's a tremendous leader on the environment," said Doug Boxer, a longtime Democratic operative and son of U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer. "Whichever path he chooses, he will continue to be effective."

In its citation, the Nobel committee lauded Gore's "strong commitment, reflected in political activity, lectures, films and books, has strengthened the struggle against climate change. He is probably the single individual who has done most to create greater worldwide understanding of the measures that need to be adopted."

Ole Danbolt Mjoes, chairman of the prize committee, said the award should not be seen as singling out the Bush administration for criticism.

"A peace prize is never a criticism of anything. A peace prize is a positive message and support to all those champions of peace in the world."

The Nobel Prizes each bestow a gold medal, a diploma and a $1.5 million cash prize on the winner.[/quote]

dairygirl4u2c

they should not have given it to him yet probably. i don't know if they give them to the dead, but they should have given it after things can be more conclusive.
though i admit i don't know it all. maybe scientists know that the Man made GW has given the extra umpf ot the natural warming caused by the sun etc, the umpf needed to melt the ice caps etc. one things for sure, we picked a bad time to cause any global warming even if it's a small amount.
what if they find out that it wasn't that bad. the prize would have been for not much. they'd have to say it was for just putting attention on the matter etc.

[quote name='SanctitasDeo' post='1401267' date='Oct 13 2007, 02:25 AM']Now that we've made the Nobel Peace Prize more like the Oscars...[/quote]
That's what I was thinking.

[quote name='SarahB' post='1401317' date='Oct 12 2007, 02:13 PM']He's deeply honored.....and I'm deeply disturbed.
:sick:[/quote]

Me too

Gore has jumped on a bandwagon.... nothing more. He's not doing anything that makes the environment better.

Carbon does not cause global warming.

Gore doesn't care about environment, he cares about his image... maybe he believes his own lies.... When he ran, he told people what he thought they wanted to hear...

Yasser Arafat won the Nobel Piece Prize.

Yes, I wrote piece... because thats about what it's worth... When Yasser won, it showed that the Nobel Peace Prize is a Piece Prize... Gore winning it removes any real value to "winning" it. A bunch of rich people detatched from reality picking a person that they "think" (with their uneducated selves) helps us common po folks.

Apparently, their reasoning is that global warming is causing conflict between nomads and farmers in Africa (or somesuch thing), and plus when all those category V hurricanes we've been promised hit the US and make the Day After Tomorrow look like kindergarten games, everyone will be fighting anyway--over land, food, water, whether or not Al's heating bill contributed...

I think there were better candidates than a guy who knows how to make himself look good.

fides quarens intellectum
:sick:

i remember reading something Gore wrote back in the early nineties - gas was around 75 cents a gallon, and he wanted it to be over $6 - that was one of his main ideas for how to save the environment. Guess he's almost gotten his wish.

Hahaha I don't think this is sickening, more like...lame.

I don't have a real problem with Al Gore' environmental crusade (he might be right and he might not, I really don't know), I just think that there are more important issues going on...some of which actually have to do with peace.