An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Nun-hermit

DameAgnes

Interesting story: [url="http://deacbench.blogspot.com/2007/10/in-habit-and-hermit.html"]http://deacbench.blogspot.com/2007/10/in-h...and-hermit.html[/url]

Her blog: [url="http://notesfromstillsong.blogspot.com/"]http://notesfromstillsong.blogspot.com/[/url]

Edited by DameAgnes

I dont know what to think about this. It says this nun "frequently wears blue jeans" and it seems that she thinks nothing of it. I feel like she isnt being a true hermit if she is teaching and changing out of her habit.

Guest Perpetualove

The Benedictines have a long standing tradition of teaching. They also have a long standing tradition of wearing attire appropriate to their work, at the time it is performed. If you will look on Regina Laudis' website (abbeyofreginalaudis.com), you will see that many of the Nuns there where blue denim habits and scarves on work-days. They also wear boots when they are outside, working. I'm sure Sister wears her cowl when she prays the Liturgy of the Hours, as Benedictines are privileged to do.

I think her vocation is a beautiful testimony to the vastness of our Church. We have so much to offer, all kinds of different spiritualities and ways of expressing them...I am thrilled she is making her vocation visible to the world wide Church!!!

Thanks so much for posting the links...what a nice break in the day!

• 6 months later...
Sister_Laurel

[quote name='chelsea' post='1399465' date='Oct 8 2007, 03:41 PM']I dont know what to think about this. It says this nun "frequently wears blue jeans" and it seems that she thinks nothing of it. I feel like she isnt being a true hermit if she is teaching and changing out of her habit.[/quote]

Hi there.

I am the Sister referenced in the article, so let me clarify. When secular newspapers write articles on something as rare as an eremitical vocation, they will emphasize the things which make the person accessible or approachable. The eremitical life is known mainly by stereotypes, and most of them are far from positive. They do not encourage people to understand the vocation as important for contemporary society. The reporter did an excellent job in stressing how completely normal a diocesan hermit really is, and how normal, if rare, the vocation itself is. Sometimes a habit separates in ways which are not helpful, and the fact that I MAY wear jeans on the days I do heavy house cleaning or laundry gets translated into, "frequently wears jeans."

By the way, if I ever thought that wearing a habit made me less approachable, or marked those who do not wear them as "less than true religious or hermits" etc, I would seriously consider dropping it. In any case, I might well trade to jeans for a while in such circumstances. The sign value of the habit is significant, but if it becomes something elitist and prevents people from seeing (in the case of the hermit) how truly normal solitude and silence SHOULD BE for every person, then it has become problematical for living out the vocation itself and should be reconsidered. (I am not referring to the cowl here since that is a liturgical garment and IS required by my Bishop.) Some hermits who stress the hiddenness of the vocation do not wear a habit outside the hermitage at all; while I don't think I can adopt their conclusion re habits at this point, they are welcome to them and have spent time thinking and praying about the matter. In any case, they are every bit as much a hermit as any other.

The more serious objection in your post relates to my doing some teaching (adult faith formation). I think the bottom line is that what I do is approved by my Bishop and is quite minimal. What it translates to practically is a series of three lectures (given twice) during Advent and another similar series during Lent. It does not detract from silence and solitude. More, it is the fruit of the eremitical life, and demands more intense silence and solitude, prayer and penance.

One thing I think people need to realize is that the original desert Fathers and Mothers were, in the main, accessible to the people in the areas surrounding them. They were not recluses for the most part. While the eremitical vocation has certain non-negotiable elements (spelled out in the canon governing the life), every individual hermit has to work out the negotiable elements for herself. This allows each vocation a very personal flavor, rhythm, or character. Further, the diocesan hermit may discover her eremitical vocation is a particular kind of gift to her parish and diocese, and this may cause her vocation to differ in some respects from either that of the hermit who is part of a community or the non-canonical hermit. The notion that every hermit looks like every other hermit is a misconception, just as the idea that one who wears a habit is a true hermit, whereas one who does not is NOT a true hermit is a serious error. Hope this clarifies things.

All my best,
Sister Laurel M O'Neal
Stillsong Hermitage
Diocese of Oakland

Edited by SRLAUREL

Saint Therese

[quote]By the way, if I ever thought that wearing a habit made me less approachable, or marked those who do not wear them as "less than true religious or hermits" etc, I would seriously consider dropping it. In any case, I might well trade to jeans for a while in such circumstances. The sign value of the habit is significant, but if it becomes something elitist and prevents people from seeing (in the case of the hermit) how truly normal solitude and silence SHOULD BE for every person, then it has become problematical for living out the vocation itself and should be reconsidered. (I am not referring to the cowl here since that is a liturgical garment and IS required by my Bishop.) Some hermits who stress the hiddenness of the vocation do not wear a habit outside the hermitage at all; while I don't think I can adopt their conclusion re habits at this point, they are welcome to them and have spent time thinking and praying about the matter. In any case, they are every bit as much a hermit as any other.[/quote]
:shock:

Edited by Saint Therese

cathoholic_anonymous

Thank you for your post, Sister. I have never had the chance to read much about the eremitical life from one who is living it, so it is good to have you here.

Sister_Laurel

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1495419' date='Apr 9 2008, 08:25 AM']Thank you for your post, Sister. I have never had the chance to read much about the eremitical life from one who is living it, so it is good to have you here.[/quote]

Thanks, it is good to be here (I think!!). My participation will be necessarily limited though.

best,
Sister Laurel M O'Neal
Stillsong Hermitage
Diocese of Oakland

HI Sister-

I wonder if you would share how you found your monastic cowl, since your site says that you had not expected that requirement as you were preparing for your consecration.

Did you sew it yourself? Where did you get ideas about what it should be like? What did you choose for material- something that would work year-round or one in winter weight and one for summer?

Thanks for your sharing here.

Graciela

Sister_Laurel

[quote name='Graciela' post='1496731' date='Apr 10 2008, 06:26 PM']HI Sister-

I wonder if you would share how you found your monastic cowl, since your site says that you had not expected that requirement as you were preparing for your consecration.

Did you sew it yourself? Where did you get ideas about what it should be like? What did you choose for material- something that would work year-round or one in winter weight and one for summer?

Thanks for your sharing here.

Graciela[/quote]

I had expected a prayer garment of some sort, but not the cowl. I had also not expected to wear the garment outside the hermitage, so yes, surprising in a couple of ways. Since I am a Camaldolese oblate (and made final oblature just two months before perpetual profession), and after conversations with my diocese and the Camaldolese it was determined that a cowl was appropriate and further, that the diocese approved. I had the cowl made, although I also borrowed a cowl from a Camaldolese nun for the purposes of the Profession (she express mailed hers out to me). This Sister referred me to the person who had actually made her own cowl and he sewed me one. (He regularly makes habits for a number of Benedictine congregations.) As it turned out, he did it very quickly (understanding it was an emergency), express mailed it to me, and I had two cowls available on the day of the Profession. (I did not use Sister Donald's, but it was available just in case.)

The garment is made of a midweight serge (wool and cotton), washes really well, and seems fine for most seasons. During the Summer I think it will continue to work (it was fine last September and October when we have an Indian Summer), but I have a couple of other garments (hooded scapular, hooded short tunic) in case that is not true, and can always have a second cowl made in a lighter material if necessary. I also have a regular alb with hood for Mass which allows me to leave a garment at the church/chapel in case of need, and which itself may be lighter in Summer. Unfortunately, the material the alb is made of breathes less well than the serge of the cowl, so it may NOT be helpful in the Summer.

Sincerely,
Sister Laurel M O'Neal
Stillsong Hermitage
Diocese of Oakland

Edited by SRLAUREL

I feel like she isnt being a true hermit if she is teaching and changing out of her habit.""

One of the major challenges that a hermit faces is being self-supporting and you must be if you want canonical blessing. No one, not even the Bishop takes "care" of the hermit. Finding employment/housing are basic needs and the most difficult ones to fulfill, without compromising the 'call'.

Sister_Laurel

[quote name='EWIE' post='1498022' date='Apr 12 2008, 11:17 AM']I feel like she isnt being a true hermit if she is teaching and changing out of her habit.""

One of the major challenges that a hermit faces is being self-supporting and you must be if you want canonical blessing. No one, not even the Bishop takes "care" of the hermit. Finding employment/housing are basic needs and the most difficult ones to fulfill, without compromising the 'call'.[/quote]

Your points are important to emphasize. The hermit is self-supporting and must undertake whatever she can within the parameters of hermit life which allow that. Ther diocese supplies NOTHING except her canonical approval of the vocation and a context for living the life, not stipend, insurance, housing, transportation, etc --- and generally that is a good thing. Many Bishops do not allow the hermit to work outside the hermitage: they will not profess someone if that is necessary still, but they do ordinarily allow limited activities and sharing of gifts, talents, and education outside the hermitage. Since the hermit [u]may[/u] receive a stipend for this work it can help her support herself. Again, though, as I noted above, the amount of teaching I now do is VERY limited and takes place mainly in my own parish. It may increase (there is both need and demand), but that will happen slowly and only with care and as permitted.

Thanks for raising an important, and often little-known fact. The idea that the church takes care of hermits or of religious men and women is one of the most common misunderstandings I have run into over the years.

Sincerely,
Sister Laurel M O'Neal
Stillsong Hermitage
Diocese of Oakland

This Thing about habits continues to surface.

Wearing a full-length habit while farming can be quite dangerous. It is common for monastics who farm or who work near machines to wear long pants, and not a full-length habit. This is certainly true of the Trappists--check out the Genesee website-- and other orders. Some may be able to wear a full-length habit if they work in fields only,(although this is very hot and impractical), but not if they are near a tractor or any sort of machinery.