An Old School Catholic Message Board

Carredero, Got A Question For Ya!

thessalonian

[quote name='prose' post='1396717' date='Oct 2 2007, 06:03 PM']So what exactly is the purpose of a soul to you?

I am really trying to understand.[/quote]

The purpose of the individual soul would depend on the individual and what it would prefer to experience and what aspects it takes on in the physical realm. To provide examples (please keep in mind these are just examples).

A cow could purposely provide food for others.
A plant could purposely provide oxygen for others.
A cat could purposely incarnate to be closer to another entity.
A human could purposely run for president.

The purpose of the soul could be anything. The purpose would depend on the physical entity that one chooses to incarnate into and the amount of time that this entity has to dwell in the physical.There are as many purposes for entities as there are stars in the heavens. No other entity (superior or otherwise) imposes another purpose and there is no right or wrong purpose and I believe that purpose is not a matter for anyone’s judgment, except the individual who has fulfilled or completed purpose. Purpose can change or go unfulfilled within one’s physical lifetime.

[quote name='prose' post='1396717' date='Oct 2 2007, 06:03 PM']This is what I got: A soul, in your opinion, is intrinsically good and can not be corrupt, but a mind can do evil things, so a soul is always okay, and if it is stuck in a "bad" body, that is fine because it will soon exit it?[/quote]

Incorrect. The soul in my opinion is Truth. One of those truths is that the body has to pass and that the soul has to return to the spiritual realm. I believe that there is no good and bad, right or wrong that these are only judgments imposed on humans by other humans.

Okay, so a soul could have the purpose to make other lives miserable. Or to have a miserable life itself? It could have a purpose of being depressed, suicidal, or murderous?

Hmm, I think thessalonian's original questions were meant to be more along the lines of What do you think is your relationship with the souls of others, if any? if not, that's a question I would like answered. In light of this answer, what do you think about crimes like murder, rape, etc, and how do they affect the soul, if at all?

And yes, you can ask me questions, and i'll gladly answer them.

[quote name='prose' post='1396750' date='Oct 2 2007, 06:51 PM']Okay, so a soul could have the purpose to make other lives miserable.[/quote]
I believe that purposes could be shared (purposes designed specifically to cross over into other people’s lives)
[quote name='prose' post='1396750' date='Oct 2 2007, 06:51 PM']Or to have a miserable life itself?[/quote]
Suffering, misery, pain, sadness are all valid experiences, ones that I believe are not available in the spiritual realm.
[quote name='prose' post='1396750' date='Oct 2 2007, 06:51 PM']It could have a purpose of being depressed, suicidal, or murderous?[/quote]

The one things that I noticed from your examples is that I personally do not like to experience those things but I do know some people who do.

There is an experience that my wife and I recently had with a female close friend of ours. This young friend was entering a relationship with a man that seemed what we thought was not a good endeavor for her. We pointed out all the faults (based on the information about this person that she gave us) with why this relationship wouldn’t work but the young friend went ahead without our best sound advice and learned months later the same exact things that we told her were going to happen. This happens many times to many people than most of us would care to admit. The reason we gave her advice was because we cared about her and did not want to see her get hurt from this relationship, yet she still thought that she could make it work. A lot of times people propose advice or purpose on other people because they do care and probably because they would not enjoy going through the experience and consequences themselves but I am amazed at what circumstances people will follow through with even though they understand many if not all of the consequences of their actions. This I would consider purpose. Even though me and my wife thought it was wrong for our friend to get mixed up with this relationship and that both of us would not be interested in getting ourselves involved in similar circumstances, this friend thought it was important to her and for her purpose and experience.

I have also known people who deliberately go out of the way to make things (which you and I would perceive) as difficult for themselves. They enjoy the drama, the suffering, the pain and continue to find themselves back in the same situations. I would suppose that this makes some people feel human or alive. Again one human’s purpose is their own. It is difficult to judge another person’s situations and circumstances. The only thing we can do is define our own.

Edited by carrdero

[quote name='Hashbrowns' post='1396777' date='Oct 2 2007, 07:23 PM']Hmm, I think thessalonian's original questions were meant to be more along the lines of What do you think is your relationship with the souls of others, if any? if not, that's a question I would like answered. In light of this answer, what do you think about crimes like murder, rape, etc, and how do they affect the soul, if at all?[/quote]
A little of this understanding could have been answered in my response to prose but I believe that things like murder could be a shared purpose. I believe that everyone has to die and that everyone has to die in some way and that there is no right or wrong way to die and that this is not our home. Murder may be an agreement previously arranged with another entity to exit this physical existence. Not every soul chooses a peaceful deathbed passing and we all know how impatient humans can become waiting for the next Natural disaster to occur (and don't get me started on the price of airfare needed to reach some of these disasters). Many people may not be courageous enough to end their own life and diseases would seem an unpleasant experience to encourage. Some people may find murder an unappealing way to exit this physical existence because possibly that is what they are accustomed to believe or it may be a method of death that might not be preferrable to them (dying from a car crash might be more their style). I believe death not to be a tradgedy, a loss or something that is unfair. Death is a Truth, you can count on it arriving from anywhere at anytime and everyone will be there to keep their appointment.

[quote]Hashbrowns writes:And yes, you can ask me questions, and i'll gladly answer them.[/quote]
Yes, in all my dealings with you Hashbrown, I know you are very approachable. I thank you for the opportunity of getting to know you.

Edited by carrdero

Thank you for the compliment. I also appreciate your respectful nature.

If you could, I'd like to hear what you have to say about [url="http://books.google.com/books?id=ckCzB8f_vC8C&dq=&pg=PP1&ots=AWx4lp41L8&sig=otEO9z8-Yw02gEdooBiULZUxdRs&prev=http://www.google.com/search%3Fq%3Dg.%2Bk.%2Bchesterton%2Bmanalive%26ie%3Dutf-8%26oe%3Dutf-8%26aq%3Dt%26rls%3Dorg.mozilla:en-US:official%26client%3Dfirefox-a&sa=X&oi=print&ct=title#PPA167,M1"]this book[/url], G. K. Chesterton's [i]Manalive[/i], especially pages 167-177. It really isn't that much to read. I suggest the rest, while i've only read excerpts from the book myself, it's very good.

I'm not too keen about dieing of murder or a car crash, but what if it happens to me anyways? It has been that way for many people in the past... btw, you should stay away from Sylvia Browne... I could see a major influence of that woman in your post, Carrdero. She is a liar.

Btw, you can talk to me about my beliefs and such too. I'm open for that. And despite the words in this post, I'm not being upset or anything... I should reiterate (as I've mentioned before) that words are harsh. I'm just saying stuff as it comes (sorta. I take a second or two to think about it... that's why some of my posts are edited :P)

Edited by Sacred Music Man

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1396836' date='Oct 2 2007, 09:53 PM']I'm not too keen about dieing of murder or a car crash, but what if it happens to me anyways? It has been that way for many people in the past... btw, you should stay away from Sylvia Browne... I could see a major influence of that woman in your post, Carrdero. She is a liar.[/quote]My own impression of Carrdero reminds me of authors like [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Bach"]Richard Bach[/url] (Illusions), [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Redfield"]James Redfield[/url] (Celestine Prophesy), and [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Quinn"]Daniel Quinn[/url] (Ishmael). Mix them all together for fun, and you're listening to a messiah gorilla who flies prop-planes from town to town, while getting ready to reveal the secret tenth insight that was written on an ancient Incan scroll in Machu Pichu.

This is the kind of pop-spirituality that one sees while waiting in the grocery check-out line...

PS: I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Carrdero has probably read all of the books I've mentioned above. I'd actually be surprised if he hadn't.

[quote]Sacred Music Man writes:I'm not too keen about dieing of murder or a car crash, but what if it happens to me anyways?[/quote]
There are some people who would readily offer their suggestions on how they would like to die but some people prefer not to know how or when they will die. This knowledge may not be necessary to their lives and the way they live them. I have met some people who knew it was their time but didn’t know how. My mother was one of those people. She didn’t have anything medically wrong that would indicate this and she only imparted this fact to a few people but when she died, those people who did know, came up to me to share the information that she knew that she wasn’t long for this world.
[quote]Sacred Music Man writes:It has been that way for many people in the past... btw, you should stay away from Sylvia Browne... I could see a major influence of that woman in your post, Carrdero. She is a liar.[/quote]
Sylvia Browne did not originate these beliefs, she may have organized some beliefs into a practical understanding but these ideas and concepts are probably older than the writings of many ancient texts. I have never really delved into exactly what this woman believes or doesn’t believe, sure there might be some similarities to my beliefs and hers but there also may be some extreme departures.

[quote]Sacred Music Man writes:Btw, you can talk to me about my beliefs and such too. I'm open for that. And despite the words in this post, I'm not being upset or anything... I should reiterate (as I've mentioned before) that words are harsh. I'm just saying stuff as it comes (sorta. I take a second or two to think about it... that's why some of my posts are edited )[/quote]

You also provide some interesting referrences and recommendations.

[quote]Mateo El Feo writes: My own impression of Carrdero reminds me of authors like Richard Bach (Illusions), James Redfield (Celestine Prophesy), and Daniel Quinn (Ishmael). Mix them all together for fun, and you're listening to a messiah gorilla who flies prop-planes from town to town, while getting ready to reveal the secret tenth insight that was written on an ancient Incan scroll in Machu Pichu.

PS: I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Carrdero has probably read all of the books I've mentioned above. I'd actually be surprised if he hadn't.[/quote]
I have no prophecies for anyone and I am certainly not campaigning to be the next Christ. The only one I am familiar with on that list is Richard Bach only because someone has already compared some of my beliefs to him.

Edited by carrdero

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='carrdero' post='1396918' date='Oct 3 2007, 12:31 AM']I have no prophecies for anyone and I am certainly not campaigning to be the next Christ. The only one I am familiar with on that list is Richard Bach only because someone has already compared some of my beliefs to him.[/quote]Assuming [url="http://www.amazon.com/Hello-Its-Me-Interview-God/dp/0972302409/"]this (link)[/url] is you, your book fits right into the genre I'm referring to.

Edited by Mateo el Feo

Wow, nice job Mat! Carrdero, you're compared to Bach in the review. Anyway, I was just wondering, did you get a chance to read that Chesterton stuph a while back?

[quote name='Hashbrowns' post='1396945' date='Oct 2 2007, 11:59 PM']Wow, nice job Mat! Carrdero, you're compared to Bach in the review. Anyway, I was just wondering, did you get a chance to read that Chesterton stuph a while back?[/quote]
I had a little trouble viewing some pages but it was nothing the refresh button couldn't repair though I am unsure on what points specifically that you wanted to discuss.

"Not every soul chooses a peaceful deathbed passing and we all know how impatient humans can become waiting for the next Natural disaster to occur (and don't get me started on the price of airfare needed to reach some of these disasters). Many people may not be courageous enough to end their own life and diseases would seem an unpleasant experience to encourage. Some people may find murder an unappealing way to exit this physical existence because possibly that is what they are accustomed to believe or it may be a method of death that might not be preferrable to them (dying from a car crash might be more their style). I believe death not to be a tradgedy, a loss or something that is unfair."

There's just something that feels intrinsically evil to me about this. Could you explain further? Do you see a connection between this quote from you and the Chesterton selection?

[quote]Mateo El Feo writes: This is the kind of pop-spirituality that one sees while waiting in the grocery check-out line...

Assuming this (link) is you, your book fits right into the genre I'm referring to.[/quote]

Please keep in mind that this book was written in the same inspired manner as the renown Biblical writers. I’m sure that those ancient spiritual teachings were culturally considered “all the rave” during that primitive era.

Edited by carrdero