An Old School Catholic Message Board

Imprimatur And Nihil Obstat

M.SIGGA

Is the NAB translation itself good? Just the commentaries are a little off in some areas?

the translation is good, it just depends on which edition you get. i really like the st. joseph edition. the medium version has an exensive commentary and doctrinal index and i'm sure the large version has even more.

• 6 years later...
ardillacid

[quote name='jasJis' date='12 February 2004 - 08:53 AM' timestamp='1076590414' post='118821']
In all honesty,

No.

We did not miss your myopic bias who lies about the Catholic Church and can't make a simple post without throwing in a negative.

You are wrong to call Authority in the Catholic Church 'overlords'.

The Catholic Church itself, teaches that man must follow his own conscience OVER the teaching of the Church. It of course, does not teach us to do so without due respect and openess to the Grace God has provided for mankind through the ages, including what is taught by the Church.

Please go away, spouter of misleading falsehoods. :(
[/quote]
What ever happened to this guy? :mellow:

Guest KevinSymonds

The imprimatur and nihil obstat are still required for books touching upon faith and morals.

There was a lot of misunderstanding about this after Vatican II. Many thought they were no longer required but that was never the case.

The reason why people thought they were no longer necessary was because they were rooted in the system of censorship engendered in the Index of Forbidden Books. Once Pope Paul VI removed the Index's legal force, the relevant canons (1399 and 2318) in the 1917 Code of Canon Law were abrogated (formally done in November 1966).

People [i]thought[/i] they could now publish without the imprimatur and nihil obstat but were mistaken. Though they no longer pertain to the Index per-se, they still give the reader and writer the freedom of conscience that they are not endangering faith and good morals.

Yes, the imprimatur and nihil obstat are not infallible. They do, however, show obedience and docility to ecclesiatical authority and Eternal/Natural Law.

-KJS

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='KevinSymonds' date='05 June 2010 - 12:54 PM' timestamp='1275753248' post='2124079']
The imprimatur and nihil obstat are still required for books touching upon faith and morals.

There was a lot of misunderstanding about this after Vatican II. Many thought they were no longer required but that was never the case.

The reason why people thought they were no longer necessary was because they were rooted in the system of censorship engendered in the Index of Forbidden Books. Once Pope Paul VI removed the Index's legal force, the relevant canons (1399 and 2318) in the 1917 Code of Canon Law were abrogated (formally done in November 1966).

People [i]thought[/i] they could now publish without the imprimatur and nihil obstat but were mistaken. Though they no longer pertain to the Index per-se, they still give the reader and writer the freedom of conscience that they are not endangering faith and good morals.

Yes, the imprimatur and nihil obstat are not infallible. They do, however, show obedience and docility to ecclesiatical authority and Eternal/Natural Law.

-KJS
[/quote]
It is only as good as the bishop who gives it.

[quote name='jasJis' date='12 February 2004 - 03:53 PM' timestamp='1076590414' post='118821']

The Catholic Church itself, teaches that man must follow his own conscience OVER the teaching of the Church. It of course, does not teach us to do so without due respect and openess to the Grace God has provided for mankind through the ages, including what is taught by the Church.

Please go away, spouter of misleading falsehoods. :(
[/quote]
Oh, is that how it is. I've been doing this all wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KevinSymonds

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' date='10 June 2010 - 10:48 PM' timestamp='1276224512' post='2127092']
It is only as good as the bishop who gives it.
[/quote]

And still necessary to obtain it from one's bishop or the bishop of the diocese wherein the books will be published.