An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hawthorn Dominicans

Graciela

There was a brief story on NPR's weekend edition saturday today about the hospice patients at the Hawthorn Dominicans' home in Atlanta. The main focus was on the joy of the sisters and the patients in being near the Atlanta Braves' stadium and being able to attend some games, courtesy of a member of the Braves' staff who found the home by accident one day.

But there was also mention of the lovely family spirit in these homes for the dying, so perhaps some vocation seekers might be interested in hearing it.

If you go to the NPR web site and look for Weekend Edition Saturday you can listen to the piece.

It is also interesting to note that this community now has a home for children dying of cancer in Kenya.

Gracie, thanks for posting about this remarkable community. I saw them on EWTN Live around the time they were extending themselves into Kenya. They certainly do holy work!

[quote name='stlmom' post='1386124' date='Sep 15 2007, 08:44 PM']Gracie, thanks for posting about this remarkable community. I saw them on EWTN Live around the time they were extending themselves into Kenya. They certainly do holy work![/quote]

i visisted them at their motherhouse in hawthorne, ny a while back and what a beautiful order.

sr. alma marie is the vocation director and she is fabulous!

i highly recommend them if anyone is discerning dominican...

[quote name='Graciela' post='1386096' date='Sep 15 2007, 06:39 PM']There was a brief story on NPR's weekend edition saturday today about the hospice patients at the Hawthorn Dominicans' home in Atlanta. The main focus was on the joy of the sisters and the patients in being near the Atlanta Braves' stadium and being able to attend some games, courtesy of a member of the Braves' staff who found the home by accident one day.

But there was also mention of the lovely family spirit in these homes for the dying, so perhaps some vocation seekers might be interested in hearing it.

If you go to the NPR web site and look for Weekend Edition Saturday you can listen to the piece.

It is also interesting to note that this community now has a home for children dying of cancer in Kenya.[/quote]
They do beautiful work. And the community in Atlanta really appreciates their presence. One of my high school teacher was their chaplain for many years. We used to ask him if he minded getting up early for Mass. He said it was what gave him strength to deal with us all day! :P:

[quote name='HeavenlyCalling' post='1386501' date='Sep 16 2007, 08:27 AM']I know this is going to sound a litte odd, but did they recently change the look of thier habit?[/quote]
Yes, I think it might have gotten a little bit longer.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Graciela' post='1386096' date='Sep 15 2007, 07:39 PM']There was a brief story on NPR's weekend edition saturday today about the hospice patients at the Hawthorn Dominicans' home in Atlanta. The main focus was on the joy of the sisters and the patients in being near the Atlanta Braves' stadium and being able to attend some games, courtesy of a member of the Braves' staff who found the home by accident one day.

It is also interesting to note that this community now has a home for children dying of cancer in Kenya.[/quote]

They are a beautiful community. 2 postulants received the habit on Thursday and 2 made profession on Friday.
The superior of the new mission in Kenya is a sister who was with our monastery for quite a few years before transferring to the Hawthorne Dominicans. She's been learning Swahilii and keeps us informed of this incredible mission of the congregation.

I really encourage all of you to look seriously into this community and the beautiful work they do for those dying of cancer.

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1386636' date='Sep 16 2007, 03:49 PM']They are a beautiful community. 2 postulants received the habit on Thursday and 2 made profession on Friday.
The superior of the new mission in Kenya is a sister who was with our monastery for quite a few years before transferring to the Hawthorne Dominicans. She's been learning Swahilii and keeps us informed of this incredible mission of the congregation.

I really encourage all of you to look seriously into this community and the beautiful work they do for those dying of cancer.[/quote]

+

Where is their novitiate, Sister?

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1386193' date='Sep 15 2007, 10:56 PM']We have a group here in Saint Paul, MN they are a great community[/quote]

They are also here in Cleveland OH..Beautiful, wonderful Sisters...devoted to the dying.

• 2 weeks later...