An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Death Of James Garfield

catholicinsd

In your opinion   

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

President Garfield was shot in July 1881, however he did not die until September of 1881- of an infection, caused by the shooting. In your opinion was this a true assination?

During the assassination attempt, he was shot. He died as a direct result of the wound. That would be an assassination. He never even began to recover from his injury.

(Although it could be argued that it was the incompetent buffoons calling themselves Doctors that really killed him.)

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1385369' date='Sep 14 2007, 09:51 AM']During the assassination attempt, he was shot. He died as a direct result of the wound. That would be an assassination. He never even began to recover from his injury.[/quote]
:yes:

[quote](Although it could be argued that it was the incompetent buffoons calling themselves Doctors that really killed him.)[/quote]
:yes::yes:

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1385415' date='Sep 14 2007, 09:26 AM']According to the Wikipedia, the actual cause of death was a heart attack.[/quote]

According to [i]reliable sources[/i], this is the case.

BTW: This thread is about 5 days early.

In law school they taught us that any foreseeable consequence of the actions we set in motion, come back to us. If you rob an old lady, who has a heart attack, it is called felony homicide. Malpractice at the hospital is also always supposed to be a foreseeable consequence. There are some historians that believe on reviewing the medical evidence, that Abraham Lincoln was actually killed by the doctors probing his wound. In my home state the law was that you had to die within one year and one day of the incidence in order for it to be murder. If you shot someone, and they became paralyzed, and died of a complication of the paralysis (like Christopher Reed did), but not until years later, you couldn't be tried for murder, just the assault/attempted murder.

[quote name='catholicinsd' post='1385304' date='Sep 14 2007, 01:22 AM']President Garfield was shot in July 1881, however he did not die until September of 1881- of an infection, caused by the shooting. In your opinion was this a true assination?[/quote]
I believe that it is legally murder if someone dies within a year and a day as a result of the attempt. I'd need someone else with more legal experience to back me up of course.