An Old School Catholic Message Board

Mother Teresa And Universalism

thessalonian

I was listening to a radio program on Protestant radio on Saturday that had a segment on Catholicism. Not good of course. Many misrepresentations. But I found one part downright odd. There is a quote spread all over the internet about Muslems being good Muslems and Hindu's being better Hindu's by Mother Teresa. Protestants use this to claim she was universalist. This guy, Ron Carlson, was asked "Was Mother T a universalist? Answer: "She definitely was". But what struck me as odd was that later he said that he heard Mother T say "I hope I have done enough good to get to heaven" and that she was living in a works righteousness system. (i.e. you have to do good to get to heaven, i.e. not everyone goes to heaven). Now isn't universalism that EVERYONE goes to heaven? Last I checked it was. Wonder if these folks actually listen to what they say and think about it? In truth it was just a bashing of Mother Teresa.

The debate is is this a contradiction? Was Mother T a Universalist? How about it Budge. I think you've made this same statement before.

Edited by thessalonian

u·ni·ver·sal·ism /ˌyunəˈvɜrsəˌlɪzəm/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[yoo-nuh-vur-suh-liz-uhm] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun 1. universal character; universality.
2. a universal range of knowledge, interests, or activities.
[b]3. (initial capital letter) the doctrine that emphasizes the universal fatherhood of God and the final salvation of all souls. Compare apocatastasis (def. 2). [/b]

Thes,

sometimes...ok, often in protestantism using the term universalism in a negative sense is not the theology that all can be saved, rather it is the idea that any system can bring about salvation. Saying that Islam can be used to achieve salvation, or Hindu in the case of your post.

It undermines the mental acceptance action of the converstion experience. Someone cant say "I believe in Jesus christ" if they have never heard of him. Yet the idea of theosis, or even grace does not exist in a fundamentalist theology. And it is even worse if they are calvinistic. Look at the current debate on "anoynomous christian theory" for a good example.

but, in a nutshell. You are speaking of a different type of univeralism. Moltmann and HVB have wrote about your type.

I have an undergrad in theology from a protestant bible college and that is what we were taught.

BS Gen Ministry(pastoral leadership)
BS Biblical/theological studies.

Edited by Revprodeji

Looks like the more proper term they might use is inclusivism. Looking online I see no dictionary that says what she allegedly taught was universalism.

[url="http://www.spreadinglight.com/theology/dictionary/inclusivism.html"]http://www.spreadinglight.com/theology/dic...nclusivism.html[/url]

I know of your background Rev. They can't change the english language because they feel like it. Universalism means everyone is saved and if that is the case then they are contradicting themselves by saying she was worried about her salvation.

Edited by thessalonian

[quote]They can't change the english language because they feel like it.[/quote]

You know that is the basis of much of protestant theology. Right? Revisionist language is a major issue. Words get their meanings changed in order fit an individual angle. sacrament/church/keys/etc the list goes on.

[quote]Universalism means everyone is saved and if that is the case then they are contradicting themselves by saying she was worried about her salvation.[/quote]

I have read Moltmann (protestant theologian that has written about universalism) and the Hans Von Balthasar "Dare we Hope" I understand the theology and I bounce back and forth on it. Leaving it up to grace.

My point is, under my usage of the word "universalism" the quote from the radio makes sense. Under the real def of the word the quote makes no sense. Hence the contradiction.

[quote name='Raphael' post='1383414' date='Sep 11 2007, 10:49 AM']I could be wrong, but I believe Budge is on vacation again.[/quote]

yes. She was raptured. Kirk Cameron came in the taxi cab

Archaeology cat

One of my acquaintances, who does a lot of mission work, likes to quote that statement by Mother Theresa (note: this is a charismatic Protestant I'm speaking of). His interpretation of it is that you teach the people to be the best (Hindu, Muslim, etc) they can be, but in so doing they will realise that it isn't enough and will come to truly worship God. It's an interesting take on the quote. Just my, slightly off-topic, $0.02.

Oh, and no, using the dictionary definition, Mother Theresa would not be considered a universalist, I don't think.

ouch,

WHy is that? Although with open theism I agree. I cant shake that still. Maybe I should open that up again?

My protestant theology grew into catholicism. I think any protestant that is true to himself in growing as a christian in understanding will grow into catholicism unless bound by any outside force. Ala a denomination.

[quote name='Revprodeji' post='1383452' date='Sep 11 2007, 12:21 PM']ouch,

WHy is that? Although with open theism I agree. I cant shake that still. Maybe I should open that up again?

My protestant theology grew into catholicism. I think any protestant that is true to himself in growing as a christian in understanding will grow into catholicism unless bound by any outside force. Ala a denomination.[/quote]
I'd like to amend that. Anyone who is genuinely exposed to Christ's church who honestly and prayerfully seeks the truth as their first priority will end up Catholic.