An Old School Catholic Message Board

End Times Apostasty Is A Bible Truth!

Budge

by David Cloud.

- End-time apostasy is not a figment of a Fundamentalist's imagination; it is a Bible doctrine. New Testament prophecy describes two separate streams of "Christianity" operating side by side throughout the church age. First, there will be true apostolic churches, against which the gates of hell shall not prevail. They will be persecuted, hated, despised, yet they will continue century by century until Christ's return. The Lord Jesus promised His faithful ones: "Lo, I am with you alway, EVEN TO THE END OF THE WORLD" (Matthew 28:20). Second, there will be apostate churches, which will increase in number and grow worse and worse as the centuries pass. Consider the following Scriptures:

[i]"And Jesus answered and said unto them, [b]Take heed that no man deceive you[/b]. ... And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many. ... For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall show great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect" (Matthew 24:4,11,24)[/i]
[i]
[b]
"For I know this, that after my departing shall grievous wolves enter in among you, not sparing the flock.[/b] Also of your own selves shall men arise, speaking perverse things, to draw away disciples after them" (Acts 20:29,30).[/i]

[i]
"Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition; Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, showing himself that he is God. Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things? And now ye know what withholdeth that he might be revealed in his time. For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming" (2 Thess. 2:3-8) .[/i]

and even more....

[quote]"Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron; Forbidding to marry, and commanding to abstain from meats, which God hath created to be received with thanksgiving of them which believe and know the truth" (1 Timothy 4:1-3).[/quote]

[quote]"But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived" (2 Timothy 3:13).[/quote]

[quote]"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears. And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables" (2 Timothy 4:3-4).[/quote]

[quote]"But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction. And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of. And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not" (2 Peter. 2:1-3).[/quote]

[quote]"Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world" (1 John 4:1).[/quote]

[quote]"Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints. For there are certain men crept in unawares, who were before of old ordained to this condemnation, ungodly men, turning the grace of our God into lasciviousness, and denying the only Lord God, and our Lord Jesus Christ" (Jude 3-4).[/quote]

[quote]"And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will show unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters: With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication. So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns. And the woman was arrayed in purple and scarlet colour, and decked with gold and precious stones and pearls, having a golden cup in her hand full of abominations and filthiness of her fornication: And upon her forehead was a name written, MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH. And I saw the woman drunken with the blood of the saints, and with the blood of the martyrs of Jesus: and when I saw her, I wondered with great admiration" (Revelation 17:1-6).[/quote]

[font color=red size=4]The parables of Christ in Matthew 13 depict the course of this present "church age," and they describe a progression of apostasy. ["Apostasy" refers to falling away from the true Faith.][/font] [font color=white size=4]The parable of the leaven, for example, depicts a woman putting leaven into three measures of meal, "till the whole was leavened." Leaven in *****ure stands for sin and error (1 Cor. 5:6; Gal. 5:9). Thus the parable tells us that the error which was introduced by false teachers even during the days of the Apostles will gradually increase through the centuries until the entire religious system is leavened. The ultimate fulfillment of this is in Revelation 17.[/font]

The apostasy began during the lives of the Apostles and has steadily increased through the centuries. John wrote, "Little children, it is the last time: and as ye have heard that antichrist shall come, even now are there many antichrists; whereby we know that it is the last time" (1 John 2:18) .

John taught that there will be a future antichrist, singular; but he is preceded by many antichrists, plural. We believe the antichrist, singular, refers to the man of sin who will rule the end-time kingdom described in Daniel 9-11; Matthew 24:15; 2 Thess. 2:3-12; and Revelation 13.

The antichrists, plural, refer to all who reject apostolic truth in favor of satanic deception and man-made tradition. Thus the "antichrist" is both a man and a system; it is both one man, and many men. It is in this latter sense that the popes throughout history are identified with antichrist.

Another passage which teaches the same truth is 2 Thessalonians 2:7-8.[quote]"For the mystery of iniquity doth already work: only he who now letteth will let, until he be taken out of the way. And then shall that Wicked be revealed, whom the Lord shall consume with the spirit of his mouth, and shall destroy with the brightness of his coming."[/quote]

In the days of the Apostles the "mystery of iniquity" was already working, and it will culminate in the promotion of the man of sin, the Wicked One, the Antichrist, who will assume the throne of this world for a brief span. We are told that the culmination of this will not occur until just prior to the return of Christ, because the Wicked One will be destroyed "with the brightness of his coming." [font color=orange size=4]The "mystery of iniquity" is that program of evil whereby the devil is attempting to corrupt the churches of Jesus Christ by sowing tares and apostasy. It is associated with "Mystery Babylon the Great" in Revelation 17[/font].

[font color=lime size=4]We see the direct fulfillment of these prophecies in the Christian world today. It is evident in heretical bodies such as the Roman Catholic Church and the liberal World Council of Churches denominations, none of which are founded directly and exclusively upon the apostolic Faith or the apostolic church pattern. It is also evident in the ecumenical movement, which is calling for unity in diversity at the expense of Biblical truth and which is breaking down the walls of separation between truth and error.[/font]

[font color=red size=3]WARNING :[/font] [image noborder]http://www.gococ.com/images/stop/danger.gif[/image]

Everybody (including Catholics) gets to synthesize the apostasy with their particular theology in a way that doesn't offend the intellect.

It's like when a teacher forgets to erase some test info from the board before handing out the test. You really can't get this one wrong.

If any church out there was the beast of revelation, I'd have to say it's this one:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I15wsrNBxbI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I15wsrNBxbI[/url]

Their leader claims to be Jesus, as revelations says he will
Their leader does not deny being the anti-Christ as it says he would
The followers are getting 666 tattoos like it says they would
The followers believe that they are free to do absolutely anything they want like it says they would.

This is a fair bit less vague than the weak connections drawn to the Catholic Church.

[quote name='Farsight one' post='1381946' date='Sep 9 2007, 05:10 PM']If any church out there was the beast of revelation, I'd have to say it's this one:
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I15wsrNBxbI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I15wsrNBxbI[/url]

Their leader claims to be Jesus, as revelations says he will
Their leader does not deny being the anti-Christ as it says he would
The followers are getting 666 tattoos like it says they would
The followers believe that they are free to do absolutely anything they want like it says they would.

This is a fair bit less vague than the weak connections drawn to the Catholic Church.[/quote]
If we can trace his parentage to the Tribe of Dan, we get gold stars.

PapaHilarious

[quote name='Winchester' post='1381794' date='Sep 9 2007, 12:48 PM']The End Times began with Jesus's death on the Cross.[/quote]

Very good observation. As an Evangelical, I used to think it was commonly agreed amongst my Protestant brothers and sisters as to what the images of John's [i]Revelation[/i] meant. However, when I began to study the wide variety - literally [u]hundreds[/u]! - of different interpretations among Christians concerning the end times, I saw it was not nearly as cut and dry as I had hoped. There wouldn't be endless differing books, movies, sermons, websites, and blogs about the topic if all Evangelicals agreed.

One of the most helpful insights into [i]Revelation[/i] is the understanding that early Christians considered themselves already living in the end times, which makes sense if you put it in the context of Christ's Ascension being the start of the last days. It was the [i]beginning[/i] of the end, you could say.

Though it was rather convenient for many post-Reformation thinkers to frame the end times to suit their needs, let's take a look at what Babylon/Rome references in Revelation. Here's a commentary from Evangelical writer Ross Taylor:

[quote]The key to reading this passage in Revelation, chapters 17-18, for the first time is to understand that John is referring to Rome as the woman and the emperor (or empire) as the beast. The Roman empire extended over a great area geographically and had conquered many kingdoms, these kingdoms had to extend their loyalty to Rome. The emperor lived extravagantly as did most of Rome and huge quantities of luxurious items and slaves were imported into Rome, hence the mourning over her doom by the merchants and shipmasters who had lost their trade. By then there was great immorality within Rome and this had spread to surrounding provinces, for example, Corinth. The letters to the Corinthians were written to correct many of the problems this involved. We find in Revelation the woman Jezebel given as an example of this within the church at Thyatira (2:20). Rome also persecuted the saints which is mentioned in this chapter, remember that John was on Patmos for his faith.[/quote]

So although John makes an analogous framework for the real Last Days when Christ will return and triumph over all, he is literally describing the Roman Empire of his day and its decadence. If John were to be implying the [i]Church[/i] of Babylon or Rome, as many Protestants have claimed, John would be calling down a condemnation on St. Peter and the very Church of his day. (Peter clearly identifying himself to be in Rome in 1 Peter 5:13.) And whether or not one wants to admit Peter as the 1st Pope, it is quite a stretch to believe St. John would condemn all the great martyrs of the Church of Rome -- keep in mind all the thousands of faithful witnesses that Nero had put to death by the time of John's writing.

The concept of complex prophetic literature, such as [i]Revelation[/i], is foreign to us today, so it is understandable that there is so much confusion and frustration among those determined to unlock all the "codes" and imagery.

It is very clear from the text, however, that John's writing is not a mere chronology of last days event. If it were, then it would be impossible to explain why Chapter 12 talks about Mary bringing forth Jesus (v 1-6), [u]then[/u] Michael defeating and casting Satan out of heaven (v 7-17). Keep in mind, by this part of the book, we've already heard about the 7 seals, the scroll, and trumpets (ch 6 - 10). If it's a chronology, then how did Satan get back into heaven after Jesus was born? The gates of heaven clearly need a padlock. ;) And, of course, it's silly to believe that Jesus was born [u]after[/u] all the end times events of chaps 6-10.

So if we can't take prophetic literature at its face value, how are we to know which interpretation of [i]Revelation[/i] to believe? Pre-trib? Amillenial? Post-trib? St. Paul gives us the answer in 2 Thess 2:15: "Stand firm and hold to the [b]traditions[/b] which you were taught by us, [b]either by word of mouth or by letter[/b]." The holy and inspired traditions of the Church are so necessary to Christian belief that they pre-date the completed Bible itself. (John's prophesies were still decades from being written at the time of Paul's letter, after all.)

God's gift of the teaching authority of His established Church is truly divine and wholly remarkable. While I am grateful for the love and seeds of faith I developed during my 23 years as an Evangelical, issues like the end times draw me time and time again to a greater appreciation of Holy, Universal Truth. Praise be to Jesus! :)

Budge, I think that your article there, convinced me a great deal of the truth of the Catholic Church. Try as I would like to see those verses from the standpoint in which I have been raised, I cannot; rather I find them making a great deal of sense with the Roman Catholic Church.

Groo the Wanderer

One point I have to make where Budge (and many of the rest of you) err...

There is only ONE Church - that started by Jesus Christ Himself, the Holy Catholic Church. There are 25k denominations, but none of them are rightfully called Churches, since they do not possess a valid apostolic priesthood.

BTW - I consider the Orthodox to be Catholic...they are Church as well and possess all 7 sacraments validly....

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1383353' date='Sep 11 2007, 09:16 AM']One point I have to make where Budge (and many of the rest of you) err...
There is only ONE Church - that started by Jesus Christ Himself, the Holy Catholic Church. There are 25k denominations, but none of them are rightfully called Churches, since they do not possess a valid apostolic priesthood.
BTW - I consider the Orthodox to be Catholic...they are Church as well and possess all 7 sacraments validly....[/quote]

I have to agree with you totslly on this. I believe you are 100% right.

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1383353' date='Sep 11 2007, 10:16 AM']One point I have to make where Budge (and many of the rest of you) err...[/quote]Nice Groo quote...I wonder how many people can appreciate that reference. :)