An Old School Catholic Message Board

More Hard Earned Catholic Money Being Tossed Down The Tubes

Budge

[quote]Bishop must tell about Orange Diocese sex abuse

He's never spoken under oath before about such cases, lawyers say.

By RACHANEE SRISAVASDI

The Orange County Register

Bishop Tod Brown must testify about his knowledge regarding past childhood sex-abuse cases in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Orange, a judge ruled Wednesday.

The deposition, ordered as part of ongoing litigation in a sex-abuse case, would be the first time Brown has ever spoken under oath regarding what he knew about such claims, lawyers on the case said.

A now-26-year-old woman, who is identified as "C.R. Doe" in court, is suing the diocese, Mater Dei High School and the school's former assistant basketball coach Jeff Andrade, accusing him of sexual abuse for two years, starting in 1995. The trial is set for Sept. 17.

Andrade, who no longer works at the diocese, has admitted to having sex with the then-student.

The lawsuit is the first childhood sex-abuse claim in Orange County since the diocese's $100 million settlement with about 90 claimants.
In April, the woman's attorneys won the right to expand their inquiry into other sex-abuse claims at the diocese from 1988 to 2001 when Andrade worked for the diocese. They wanted to ask about other suspected sex abusers to see if Andrade got preferential treatment.
[b]
On Wednesday, retired Superior Court Judge Robert Jameson ordered the woman's attorneys to interview Brown, former Bishop Norman McFarland, the diocese's general counsel Maria Schinderle and Father Michael McKiernan, who is Brown's secretary, plaintiff's lawyers said.
Jameson will decide Friday on the scope of the depositions, which will begin Saturday, said attorney Venus Soltan.

"The way the Catholic Church is structured, people report to the bishop," Soltan said. "He is the one ultimately responsible for the diocese."
Diocese lawyers opposed the depositions and said they were unnecessary. Ryan Lilyengren, diocese spokesman, said the diocese does not comment on ongoing litigation.[/b]

Contact the writer: (714) 834-3773 or rsrisavasdi@ocregister.com[/quote]

and well, lo and behold, just acouple days after this article.

PAY-OUT TIME, for another HIRELING to KEEP THEIR SECRETS and AVOID THE STAND...

[url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20644097/"]SAN DIEGO PAYS OUT 200 MILLION DOLLARS[/url]
[quote]This is simply a shrewd public relations move by a bishop desperate to kept clergy sex crimes covered up.

Brom is terribly afraid of upcoming civil trials where he will have to disclose, under oath and in open court, how much he knew about and how little he did about predator priests.

Only four out of 196 dioceses have ever sought bankruptcy protection. Each did do on the eve of potentially embarrassing civil trial at which top church officials would be forced to admit they protected dangerous priests over innocent kids.

Threats of bankruptcy are designed to guilt trip victims and frighten Catholics so that testimony isn’t given, the truth isn’t exposed and the church isn’t held accountable.[/quote]

[url="http://www.snapnetwork.org/snap_statements/2007_statements/021807_san_diego_bankruptcy.htm"]LINK[/url]

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1381239' date='Sep 8 2007, 06:35 PM']:fishslap: I think you are in the wrong forum. This is a debate forum. I think you're looking for the "ranting" forum.[/quote]

*shrugs* It's Budge's way of doing things. Now to feel as though I've contributed at least something of value...

I think someone quoted this set of Scripture recently.

Matthew 16: 13-19
[quote]13When Jesus came to the region of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, "Who do people say the Son of Man is?"

They replied, "Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, Jeremiah or one of the prophets."

"But what about you?" he asked. "Who do you say I am?"

Simon Peter answered, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." Then he warned his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Christ.[/quote]

The Greek in this, for Peter, being Petros or Petra, which would seemingly undermine Christ's point as saying it was a small pebble or stone. However going back to the Aramaic, the word used is Kepha, which has no pronoun distinction, unlike the Greek it was translated into. Therefore, we see that when Peter means rock, it really does mean rock.

His (Christ's) Church may suffer problems of corruption, such as this sex abuse scandal, but it will not apostatize. Men can do wicked things, even the Apostles were great sinners (though were not any number of Saints?). Leaders in any denomination can often be found to be corrupt and sinful; there is only one [b]man[/b] who can claim to have never sinned, and that is Jesus Christ.

My apologies for such a messy piece of scripture and analysis, but I'm off to dinner.

cathoholic_anonymous

Budge, sex abuse scandals happen everywhere.

They happen in Protestant churches. And they are concealed in Protestant churches.

They happened (and may still be happening) in my close friend's old Scout troop. She got raped by one of the leaders more frequently than she can count. It went on for years. The local Scout Association did its utmost to conceal everything from the children's parents and gave the abuser its full support when the police were brought in. What support did they have for a traumatised fourteen-year-old girl? None.

They happen in family homes around the world. It is a sad and terrible fact that the majority of paedophiles are married men who prey on their own children.

Only it's easier to point the finger at 'exotic' paedophiles: celibate men in long flowing robes. The thought of a married man with 2.4 children and a nice suburban house raping his seven-year-old daughter is too sick to contemplate, too close to [i]us[/i] to be thought about. If it's a Catholic priest - someone Other - it's easier to talk about and vilify.

I have nothing but contempt for spineless behaviour, no matter whether it is displayed by Catholic clergy, Protestant clergy, Catholic laypeople, or non-Catholic laypeople. But if you seriously suppose that posting articles about the crimes and cowardice of a bunch of Catholic clergymen is going to make me turn away from the Church, think again. Instead, it is going to inspire me to pray more and to love more - because this is a hospital for sinners, not a country club for saints, and I want to do my part in helping Jesus the Physician to heal these sick souls.

Turning away from people in need of prayers, however despicable they may seem, is another example of the moral cowardice that you are so eager to condemn.

As for leaving the Church itself - it was founded not by men, but by God, and I'm in it for the long haul. Deo gratias.

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1381296' date='Sep 8 2007, 04:44 PM']Budge, sex abuse scandals happen everywhere.

They happen in Protestant churches. And they are concealed in Protestant churches.

They happened (and may still be happening) in my close friend's old Scout troop. She got raped by one of the leaders more frequently than she can count. It went on for years. The local Scout Association did its utmost to conceal everything from the children's parents and gave the abuser its full support when the police were brought in. What support did they have for a traumatised fourteen-year-old girl? None.

They happen in family homes around the world. It is a sad and terrible fact that the majority of paedophiles are married men who prey on their own children.

Only it's easier to point the finger at 'exotic' paedophiles: celibate men in long flowing robes. The thought of a married man with 2.4 children and a nice suburban house raping his seven-year-old daughter is too sick to contemplate, too close to [i]us[/i] to be thought about. If it's a Catholic priest - someone Other - it's easier to talk about and vilify.

I have nothing but contempt for spineless behaviour, no matter whether it is displayed by Catholic clergy, Protestant clergy, Catholic laypeople, or non-Catholic laypeople. But if you seriously suppose that posting articles about the crimes and cowardice of a bunch of Catholic clergymen is going to make me turn away from the Church, think again. Instead, it is going to inspire me to pray more and to love more - because this is a hospital for sinners, not a country club for saints, and I want to do my part in helping Jesus the Physician to heal these sick souls.

Turning away from people in need of prayers, however despicable they may seem, is another example of the moral cowardice that you are so eager to condemn.

As for leaving the Church itself - it was founded not by men, but by God, and I'm in it for the long haul. Deo gratias.[/quote]
AMEN AMEN AMEN!!!

:yahoo: i just wanted to say your post was awesome and i agree with every word! :yahoo:

Can we just make a special "Say something bad about the Catholic Church area." I made a say something bad about Houston thread on a fire forum and it quickly devolved into jokes. Budge is a joke, but a very off color one that people laugh at like they laugh at a habitual drunk--yeah, it's funny, but it's funny because the sad is just so overwhelming.

Catholics do not recognize the validity of Protestant religions.
Protestants do not recognize the authority of the Pope.
Baptists do not recognize each other in the liquor store or Hooters.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1381412' date='Sep 8 2007, 07:27 PM']yeah, it's funny, but it's funny because the sad is just so overwhelming.[/quote]
precisely :ohno:

homeschoolmom

Well, for one, that would be horribly uncharitable... and two, she would distance herself from them anyway.... being independant (and them not being truly Christian anyway) and all....

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1381629' date='Sep 9 2007, 02:09 PM']Well, for one, that would be horribly uncharitable... and two, she would distance herself from them anyway.... being independant (and them not being truly Christian anyway) and all....[/quote]

Distancing yourself from a person who commits a crime and saying "They're not truly Christian" is another form of cowardice. It's face-saving. I touched on it once on the [url="http://www.rejesus.co.uk/blog"]reJesus blog[/url]. Here is the relevant entry:

[quote][b]Care in the Community[/b]

Remember that you are probably the only copy of the Gospels that a non-Christian will ever see.” I forget where I read this comment, but it has been with me ever since.

Hanging on the wall by my door are two prayers (a Student’s Prayer and the Peace Prayer of St Francis), a copy of that saying, and a replica of the San Damiano crucifix. Even when I’m in a tearing rush, I pause in front of these things every morning and remind myself that wherever I go and whatever I do during the day, I am a walking Gospel.

Sometimes I make a botched job of it. Being a Christian doesn’t mean that you’re automatically part of the nightgown-and-halo brigade. Christians have done some spectacularly bad things, ranging from state-sponsored murder to ’simple’ unkindness. I have hurt people, sometimes deliberately. I have lied. I have turned my back on God. But He has given Christians a brilliant way of overcoming this: each other.

At my church, at the beginning of every service, we all pray the same prayer together. “I confess to Almighty God, and to you, my brothers and sisters, that I have sinned through my own fault, in my thoughts and in my words, in what I have done, and in what I have failed to do. I ask Blessed Mary, ever Virgin, all the angels and saints, and you, my brothers and sisters, to pray for me to the Lord our God.”

Other churches have similar prayers. The beauty of such prayer is that by ‘brothers and sisters’ we don’t just mean the people who share the pews with us or the people who belong to our particular church, but Christians worldwide. Like most families, we’re not perfect, but we try our best. When one of us falls, wounding our own knees and hurting other people, somebody is always ready to apply some balm and help clean up the mess. There are Christians in Ethiopia and China and Lebanon and Birmingham whom I’ve never met and probably never will, but who have supported me through their prayer - and [i]vice versa[/i]. This is the wonder of the Christian community: the willing kindness of so many unseen friends.[/quote]

I am not ashamed to be a prayer-friend of people who need prayers. I care about what they've done, but I also care about what they may become through the love of Christ. Look at Maria Goretti's rapist and murderer. He was kneeling in the crowd to pray during her canonisation Mass. He cried. He prayed for mercy. He received it.

This is why the Pharisees were so disgusted with Jesus: He never turned anyone away.

Edited by Cathoholic Anonymous