An Old School Catholic Message Board

Modesty And Proper Clothing For Catholic Men

kafka

I am loving reading the men debate how they should dress and what accessories are appropriate. As a female, I have to say that I don't know a lot of men who buy expensive clothes, have pierced ears of wear jewelry. Not in my social circle anyway.

Most men are wearing a shirt and pants and that pretty much takes care of any modesty issues.

If men really knew how little attention women pay to the outside of men, they would be suprised. Women concentrate on the interior being. (although, I do remember those two chippendale dancers that were walking down 7th avenue in mpls on a summer day in the afternoon wearing nothing but very very very short shorts. I was so shocked that I was immobile for the entire time they walked down the street, frozen by some unknown entity and forced to watch them. That was 15 years ago and I still remember the horror I felt. :hehe: ) My poor eyes.

goldenchild17

[quote name='kafka' post='1380438' date='Sep 7 2007, 12:37 PM']During the time of Christ it was customary for woman to rarely if ever cut their hair. Therefore it often fell down to their midbacks or maybe even longer. For men it was customary not to grow it beyond shoulder length. So Christ's hair may have been at shoulder length. A quick note though, there is no true historical portrait of Christ.[/quote]

Though we have a secular contemporary of Pilate's I think who gave a description of Christ, which includes shoulder length hair.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1447471' date='Jan 18 2008, 01:29 PM']lawl, Deb. Thanks for the tip on how women see men ;)[/quote]

I was serious about women caring more about the inside than the outside. If a guy can make us laugh or make us think, we are goners.

Spamity Calamity

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1380480' date='Sep 7 2007, 02:33 PM']seriously, though, i'm glad you're brining up the other side of the modesty question,[/quote]

Yeah but I dont think we discussed anywhere about body fat percentages and hairstyles of women. Just clothing.

Spamity Calamity

[quote name='Deb' post='1447452' date='Jan 18 2008, 12:00 PM']If men really knew how little attention women pay to the outside of men, they would be suprised. Women concentrate on the interior being.[/quote]

Well the good ones do anyway.

blovedwolfofgod

here in europe, everyone dresses like metrosexuals. its normal, and its hard to catch a girl's eye unless you conform. well, you catch their eye, but not in a positive way.

fides quarens intellectum

Here's one for you:

Imagine an anonymous Religious Friar (as in, currently in his final vows of chastity, poverty and obedience). Now, said friar likes to work out, and is physically fit. At parish social events, said friar has been known to walk around without a shirt on, and a short pair of shorts.

[What's up with that?!]

To add to the scenario, every year, said parish publishes a calendar of the previous year's events. Its 2008 calendar has two photos in which said friar is pictured without a shirt on.

Just curious about what you guys think...

[quote name='Deb' post='1447452' date='Jan 18 2008, 12:00 PM']If men really knew how little attention women pay to the outside of men, they would be suprised. Women concentrate on the interior being. (although, I do remember those two chippendale dancers that were walking down 7th avenue in mpls on a summer day in the afternoon wearing nothing but very very very short shorts. I was so shocked that I was immobile for the entire time they walked down the street, frozen by some unknown entity and forced to watch them. That was 15 years ago and I still remember the horror I felt. :hehe: ) My poor eyes.[/quote]

Sorry about that. It was a tough time in my life and I really needed the cash

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1449790' date='Jan 23 2008, 04:29 PM']Here's one for you:

Imagine an anonymous Religious Friar (as in, currently in his final vows of chastity, poverty and obedience). Now, said friar likes to work out, and is physically fit. At parish social events, said friar has been known to walk around without a shirt on, and a short pair of shorts.

[What's up with that?!]

To add to the scenario, every year, said parish publishes a calendar of the previous year's events. Its 2008 calendar has two photos in which said friar is pictured without a shirt on.

Just curious about what you guys think...[/quote]
:blink: not appropriate and definitely scandalous

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1449797' date='Jan 23 2008, 06:41 PM']Sorry about that. It was a tough time in my life and I really needed the cash[/quote]

You should be sorry. Do you have any photos?

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1449790' date='Jan 23 2008, 06:29 PM']Here's one for you:

[What's up with that?!]

Just curious about what you guys think...[/quote]

I can't imagine anyone walking around like that much less a Friar. Do tell which Parish published that calendar. Too bizarre.

Edited by Deb

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1449803' date='Jan 23 2008, 05:57 PM']:blink: not appropriate and definitely scandalous[/quote]

glad i'm not the only one who feels this way.

[quote name='Deb' post='1450018' date='Jan 24 2008, 10:16 AM']I can't imagine anyone walking around like that much less a Friar. Do tell which Parish published that calendar. Too bizarre.[/quote]

certainly not going to tell you which parish.

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1450752' date='Jan 25 2008, 05:04 PM']glad i'm not the only one who feels this way.

certainly not going to tell you which parish.[/quote]
You're no fun.