An Old School Catholic Message Board

Missionaries Of Charity

chelsea

I'm sure there has been threads on Phatmass about the Missionaries... i just cant find them! Has anybody here volunteered with them or discerned with them?

cathoholic_anonymous

Unfortunately, the only PM'er I know of who has seriously discerned with these sisters is now in a cloistered Carmelite monastery in Wolverhampton. For such a popular order, they haven't featured much on PM in my time here.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

be_thou_my_vision

I'm going to Mother Teresa's death anniversary Mass tonight!
I have not discerned with them, but I admire them very much.
Maybe you should email them and get some info! And the share on the phorum! :))

They dont have a website, and I dont think they have email either. I am going to volunteer with the ones in DC (the closest ones to me) sometime next week I hope. I called and I'm going to go in on Friday to speak with a Sister. Earlier today I saw a special on EWTN about Mother Teresa, which of course re-sparked my interest in them.

cathoholic_anonymous

They deliberately refuse to use websites and vocations brochures, trusting in God to send them the people they need to continue their work. It was an expression of trust in God's kindness and providence on Mother Teresa's part. I am not entirely sure that I agree with it, but in a way I can see it works - it is a real acid test of courage to contact the MCs almost blind.

[quote name='chelsea' post='1378701' date='Sep 5 2007, 10:28 PM']They dont have a website, and I dont think they have email either. I am going to volunteer with the ones in DC (the closest ones to me) sometime next week I hope. I called and I'm going to go in on Friday to speak with a Sister. Earlier today I saw a special on EWTN about Mother Teresa, which of course re-sparked my interest in them.[/quote]
It's true, but the Priest and Brothers yes , here the directions of the Missionaries Of Charity family.

[url="http://www.mcpriests.com/11_family.htm"]http://www.mcpriests.com/11_family.htm[/url]

Direction in USA of the sisters

Missionaries of Charity

335 East 145th Street, Bronx, NY 10451

Phone: 718-292-0019

Fax: 718-292-2929

Edited by ruso

+

We had a special celebration for Mother at the Cathedral tonite and Father Joseph blessed us with a relic of her blood! Father says there are 5,000 Missionaries of Charity Sisters now. Wow. Thats up from 1,500 in the late 80's with some 750 in formation (then). Seems that no internet and no vocation brochures are working for them!

Mother Teresa ~Pray for Us!

In the Chicago there are the two branches of sisters. I believe the Contemplative Sisters go out something like twice a week to do missionary work, while the other sisters go out more, though they both have a lot of prayer and adoration. :pray:

The link above provided by ruso is great! It has a link also to a mov't founded by Mother Teresa, [url="http://www.corpuschristimovement.org/"]http://www.corpuschristimovement.org/[/url] which sounds great!

They also have a page at [url="http://www.cmswr.org/member_communities/MC.htm"]CMSWR[/url], which you most probably have seen, as it's the first google finding for them! :j

The IRL's [url="http://religiouslife.com/catalog/details.php?id_catalog=05V1"][i]Completely Christ's[/i][/url] DVD also has a great talk by her at the end - very inspiring!

Edited by Margaret Clare

I'm going to talk to them today about volunteering with them! Please pray that i dont get lost or make a fool of myself in front of them. I dont think i'm actually doing any work today, just speaking with them about when i can do stuff. Prayers are much appreciated :]

be_thou_my_vision

[quote name='chelsea' post='1380288' date='Sep 7 2007, 09:59 AM']I'm going to talk to them today about volunteering with them! Please pray that i dont get lost or make a fool of myself in front of them. I dont think i'm actually doing any work today, just speaking with them about when i can do stuff. Prayers are much appreciated :][/quote]
From personal experience, accidentally making a fool of yourself is the natural "ice breaker." So don't worry, if you do end up looking or acting like and idiot at some point, not all is lost!!! :))

So I'm going to volunteer with them tomorrow! Today, before I spoke with them, I didnt really know anything about their home in DC. Apparently it is a home for people suffering with AIDs. Tomorrow they are having a picnic and I am going to help drive some of the patients to the picnic, or something like that, with one of the sisters. I have to be there at 7am for mass, which means i have to wake up at 5! :unsure: But thats ok, because I'm so excited that I will have the opportunity to work with them.

Of course, I did make myself look silly. When I went inside (after getting completely lost) I was talking to two of the nuns, and they both had really really thick indian accents. I couldnt really understand them, so they had to repeat themselves a lot. I felt horribly that i couldnt understand them. Finally i understood them better, but then they had to run off for prayer... :/ i guess i went at an inconvenient time. But I'm really excited/nervous about tomorrow.

Domine ut Videam

I have volunteered with them as well and they are absolutely wonderful!

There is an order in downtown Peoria, IL. Here is the phone #:309-674-7160 and their address is right next to the cathedral. If you want more info just pm me.

-Lauren