An Old School Catholic Message Board

Two "bible Christians"

T-Bone _

The one on the left is on the right. At leat that's what Johnny Cash said.

edit: no, wait a minute. its the one in the middle who is in the right

Edited by Staretz

dairygirl4u2c

[quote]its the one in the middle who is in the right[/quote]

that's actually a good rule of thumb, genererally. whence my disdain for people's views then they're part of a package of exclusively democrate or exclusively republican.

Most BIble Christians--people who are truly saved, really do not disagree on any of the core basics.

Catholics dont understand the Bible Christian world, they dont realize that its not all about church brand when it comes to born again Christians.

and if they do disagree onthe basics (or even what the basics are in the first place), is one of them not a bible christian? if so, which one? that is the question initially asked.

[quote name='Budge' post='1377860' date='Sep 4 2007, 04:04 PM']Most BIble Christians--people who are truly saved, really do not disagree on any of the core basics.[/quote]Of course, this begs the questions:

Who is truly saved?

What are the core basics?

[quote name='Budge' post='1377860' date='Sep 4 2007, 04:04 PM']Catholics dont understand the Bible Christian world, they dont realize that its not all about church brand when it comes to born again Christians.[/quote]True. Who could understand the "Bible Christian world" anyway? It's really all about what a person happens to believe on that particular day. Free-thinking believers swayed by the latest doctrinal winds. Where do I sign up?

Whoever has the HOly Spirit indwelling in them and has been born again.

Don't you all understand what a Christian even IS?

Oh I forgot. Since I was talking to one guy on this board, who thinks someone can be a Christian without even "knowing it" or acknowledging Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, so wonder you all are so confused.

[quote]A true Christian is a person who has put his or her faith and trust in the person of Jesus Christ and fact that He died on the cross as payment for sins and rose again on the third day to obtain victory over death and to give eternal life to all who believe in Him. John 1:12 tells us: “But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name.” A true Christian is indeed a child of God, a part of God’s true family, and one who has been given new life in Christ. The mark of a true Christian is love for others and obedience to God’s Word (1 John 2:4; 1 John 2:10).[/quote]

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1377884' date='Sep 4 2007, 04:29 PM']the one with the trendiest, up-to-date translation of the Bible.[/quote]Don't forget, there are the other diametrically opposed "Bible Christians" who read the original version. You know, when King James commissioned the Apostles to write the New Testament in its original language (i.e. English) 500 years ago?

fides quarens intellectum

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1377891' date='Sep 4 2007, 02:38 PM']Don't forget, there are the other diametrically opposed "Bible Christians" who read the original version. You know, when King James commissioned the Apostles to write the New Testament in its original language (i.e. English) 500 years ago?[/quote]

sorry, my bad - i forgot.

[quote name='Budge' post='1377888' date='Sep 4 2007, 03:32 PM']Whoever has the HOly Spirit indwelling in them and has been born again.

Don't you all understand what a Christian even IS?[/quote]

Answer the question asked, Budge. Stop trying to wiggle out of it.

What if they BOTH "has the HOly Spirit indwelling in them" and BOTH "has been born again" and STILL are diametrically opposed on a basic biblical truth.

1. Is one of them NOT born again?

2. How do you know which one is right?

dairygirl4u2c

don't even get me started on what it means to be saved (christian?). i have never met a christian, noncatholic, that could sustain my questioning.
bottomline: they all have different formulas.

here's how a typical conversation goes.
what must i do to be saved?

"believe in jesus" no too vague. believe he died for you. "okay what about if we believe he dide for us but not about atonement". believe in the atonement too then. "what about all those christians who are new and don't know about the atonement" "and isn't this list making that we're doing starting to get dogmatic" "are you saying the guys telling their people to beleive jesus is savior and that you're a sinner that you're saved isn't actually enough?" "confess that jesus is lord and was risen from teh dead as the bible says isn't enough?" okay confess with your mouth etc etc. "so what if they believe hes savir and atonement and that he's God and they are sinners but they don't know to follow the specfic act of confessing with your mouth or know that he's resurrected yet?"

i don't really get good responses at these points.
sometimes the extremists will say.... "they are all wrong. the church of me is the right one, my formula" but this isnt usually said.

u could say whatever progress you're on, whereever you're at is sufficient, but you have to progress. many fundies hesitate to say that that is sufficient. but even if they did accept it, many would disagree with what happens if someone were to reject a tenant "i don't accept that jesus rose from the dead" then you're damned. "but i thought beleiving is enough" etc etc

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

notice budge's formula didn't even mention that they believe he rose from the dead. some would say that's critical given the bible passage "confess with you mouse... and blieve that he was risen"