An Old School Catholic Message Board

Struggles With Vocation

greentea

Okay, this is going to sound strange to some of you. I also posted this on Catechetics Online so if the post looks familiar I apologize :P

I'm still in the VERY early stages of actually becoming Catholic. I consider myself Catholic now but I haven't begun the RCIA process or anything like that (complications with my parish). For the past few months I've been feeling a pull towards the religious life. I desperately want a family, but I'm finding it increasingly difficult to push this new idea out of my head. I find lately I care more about God's plans for me than my family's or even my own.

I'm further convinced by the fact that God has sent different events into my life that resulted in me not being comfortable in a romantic relationship or around men I'm not familiar with. I'm wondering if this is really a blessing in disguise, like a hint as to what my calling should be? Or is it just a mental block that I need to overcome in time?

I know this is probably much too early to be thinking about this, but I can't leave it alone for now. I don't even know where to start :( My family is protestant and I attend mass alone.. I don't really know anybody in my parish aside from a few friends who haven't been supportive in my conversion thus far. (They don't really take me seriously, and won't answer my questions without getting offended for some reason)

Haha okay I just needed to share this with somebody, or write it down just for the sake of getting it out. I haven't really talked to anybody about it yet. Thanks for reading.

First of all, know that I am praying for you!

I think its really great that you know that God's plan is more important that yours or your family's. God has such an interesting way of showing us our vocation.

Congratulations on becoming Catholic! Welcome home :]

Have you tried talking to your priest about your vocation?

It is NOT to early to be thinking about this. When God calls, its always in perfect timing.

:]

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='chelsea' post='1376237' date='Sep 2 2007, 04:38 PM']Have you tried talking to your priest about your vocation?

It is NOT to early to be thinking about this. When God calls, its always in perfect timing.

:][/quote]

I'm not so sure about that. Sometimes the excitement and joy at entering the Church is so great that people instantly begin to think about devoting themselves wholly to the Lord through the religious life - a vocation that doesn't exist in the majority of Protestant denominations. Getting too caught up with the thought of becoming a nun or a sister could prevent Greentea from concentrating on all the things she needs to learn as a fledgling Catholic.

I know of two women, both new Catholics, who were convinced that they had religious vocations. One of them began to discern with the Poor Clares. Another decided that she was called to found her own community, and with the assistance of an older Catholic who should have known better, she set up a website about 'her' community within six months of joining the Church.

Neither of those women are Catholics today.

You need to take it slowly and enjoy the ride. I'm a revert, not a convert, and I had to learn many things from scratch when I decided to embrace my faith in all its fullness. There will be time for you to explore your specific vocation later. Right now your calling is to come home, to be the very best Catholic you can be. You need to deepen your prayer life, to participate in Mass, to learn all you can about our way of life. If, after you have spent a few years living as a practising Catholic, you feel called to the religious life, you should take up the matter with your priest. Presumably you will have somebody to watch over you closely as you go through RCIA. You could talk about your thoughts on vocation with that person as well.

I don't mean to discourage you, but I think specific vocational discernment is the wrong focus for someone who is only just converting.

Greentea, it's so great to hear about your conversion! Welcome to the Catholic Church! I'm also a revert myself.

I know one young woman who felt a strong call to Carmel while she was going through RCIA. She was accepted, but she first had to live as a Catholic for a year. So she lived with the Missionaries of Charity and volunteered with them. Then after a year, she entered Carmel.

I highly recommend you read about Sr. Mary of the Holy Trinity, a Poor Clare convert.

[url="https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage/product_id/280/keywords/mary+holy+trinity/"][i]The Life & Message of Sr. Mary of the Holy Trinity[/i][/url]

[url="https://www.tanbooks.com/index.php/page/shop:flypage/product_id/14/keywords/mary+holy+trinity/"][i]The Spiritual Legacy of Sr. Mary of the Holy Trinity[/i][/url]

I haven't read the first one, but the spiritual legacy is incredible!

Welcome! Just take your time, look around for awhile. Get to know what being a Catholic means first, and develop a good relationship with Jesus.
If you have had events in your past, you must work through that. No need to go into detail here, but there are alot of men in the world and you have to get used to dealing with them. Dont cover this up, but find someone to talk to about it.
It takes time to get to know people in a parish. Keep working at it. And many young ones can be mean and not so sharing. Dont worry, things will open up for you in time.
and keep sharing!! You are not alone!'
AliceM

I would have to recommend caution as well.

I would say that your first task is to become well-grounded in the Catholic faith. RCIA is a great time for that. I found that Peter Kreeft's [b]Catholic Christianity[/b] gives a good foundation as well. Concentrate on that first.

many communities, at least communities of men, ask that you be a Catholic for at least two years. This is to show that you've made a stab at commitment and can show maturity in the faith.

Here is another thing to keep in mind. The hardest thing about monastic life is not the hours and hours of prayer or the solitude. Its the fact that you are living in close proximity with other very fallible humans 24x7. Concentrate on your conversion and on the deepening of your faith.

I will take you seriously and I won't get mad.

Sister Rose Therese

Hello,
It is good to hear from another Canuck. I'm originally from Calgary myself.
Are you in your last year of High school or have you started College/University? You might want to check to see if the parish has a youth group or something like that. You're probably going to need some kind of support if you're not getting it fom family and friends.
If you're in College, it would probably be worthwhile to see if they have a Catholc community.
About being uncomfortable around men and boys, I wouldn't necessarily say that would indicate a religious vocation. You're young yet and some of us don't really get interested in getting involved with boys until their early twenties. But you can't be entering religious life to avoid men.
You would have to be Catholic for a while before entering. So go through RCIA, and keep praying about your vocation, keep looking, but don't rush it.
Let God work in His time.
I'll pray for you.
God bless

be_thou_my_vision

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' post='1376450' date='Sep 2 2007, 04:35 PM']About being uncomfortable around men and boys, I wouldn't necessarily say that would indicate a religious vocation. You're young yet and some of us don't really get interested in getting involved with boys until their early twenties.[/quote]
I agree. Pray about your vocation, and things will unfold. God Bless you!!!

Thanks for all of your replies and prayers. I'm desperately trying to find a good parish in my area that offers RCIA. There is one youth group - but I get the impression that they don't want me there (my Catholic friends who attend regularly seem to be always discouraging me from going). There is actually a big BBQ event at my church after mass next week, where we sign up for youth groups and religious education classes and things like that.. I'm hoping something will catch my eye. I think this is good timing :)

I've decided that I will live for about a year and a half/two years as a Catholic before I make any major decisions, as it will give me some time to work on my prayer life and mature spiritually. I also need to familiarize myself more with Catholicism as a whole, it's only been a few months since I initially decided to convert. I am just sort of in this place where I'm so passionate about my faith I want to give everything up to it and let everything else go. I'm sincerely hoping I'll be able to stay in this place for my whole life.

I'm also going to check out the various books that were recommended to me, thank you so much for your help.

Welcome home to His church! I can identify with some of what you said. I am a convert. All in my family are Protestant except 4 people. I am still discerning more than 5 years after my conversion. The Church is so rich in history, truth, and teaching that I learn more each day. I continue to be grateful for the gift of my faith. What a wonderful gift God gave His people in the Catholic Church. I know for myself it has taken a lot of prayer and soul-searching to illuminate His will for me. My suggestion is definately to continue to learn about all things Catholic. Growing in your faith, prayer life, and in service in your parish will help you discern His will. I will pray for you as you grow in love of our Catholic faith.

May God Bless & keep you.

[i][/i]WELCOME HOME![i][/i]

First of all pray, pray and pray- especially infront of the Blessed Sacrament, God [i][/i]will[i][/i]make His Will known to you. Secondly, learn all truth that you can of the faith- for responsible Catholics, this never really ends, it's a lifelong journey. Thirdly, don't be discouraged by the fact that you have a strong desire for a family. Most vocational directors do not encourage people to religious life who do not have a desire for a family because Religious life is a spiritual marriage and begets spiritual family- in other words, a desire for family is almost necessary. Next, getting involved in any and everything in your parish is a great way to meet strong, faithful and supportive people- don't be surprised if these become more important to you in your faith walk than your own family and friends (and you've already found phatmass). Lastly, don't let bad Catholics get in the way of your finding truth- I am ashamed, but we are many, but that doesn't mean that Christ's church isn't true.

Thanks so much for your help! :)

It seems to me that the good apples far outnumber the bad when it comes to Catholicism. I've met soo many loving and supportive people (especially online!).

Thanks again!

cathoholic_anonymous

Greentea, I have a custom when I meet someone who is converting to the Church: I ask them to take a non-Christian under their wing and pray for that peson to find truth as well. Most converts have way more than one person to pray for, but it's nice to have a special charge. When I heard a certain atheist doctor speaking in favour of abortion at a debate in the Cambridge Union (and in a very snide manner as well - he kept insulting his opponents in the debate) I 'adopted' him then and there. He is now spiritually lassooed with my rosary on a regular basis. It's good for him. I think you should do it too. :)

[quote name='greentea' post='1378707' date='Sep 5 2007, 04:44 PM']Thanks so much for your help! :)

It seems to me that the good apples far outnumber the bad when it comes to Catholicism. I've met soo many loving and supportive people (especially online!).

Thanks again![/quote]

Welcome home :-)

I'm going to echo the same suggestions -- take your time. My vocation search started the month after coming into full comunion with the Church (RCIA). I was completely surprized by this desire (I didn't even know what a sister/nun was).

As someone told me after I left postulancy with one community "God writes straight on crooked lines". You'll see over time what God's will is for your life. Right now just take it one single step at a time, and start seeking Jesus (by that I mean through prayer, especially through adoration of the Blessed Sacrament).

One thing's for sure -- Jesus will never let you down, and He will be there (and has been there) through everything that will (and has) happen in your life.

God bless you and keep you, and may you find a wonderful RCIA program to join.