An Old School Catholic Message Board

Extern Sisters

alicemary

Seems like we need to discuss this wonderful vocation. As I have said before, I had a very dear friend who was an extern and used to spend weekends and vacations with her in the extern house.
A vocation to be an extern is a seperate vocation from feeling called to the cloister. Sometimes they live inside the enclosure, sometimes they have a few rooms on the outside of the cloister. In all things they are true sisters of the cloistered nun. Most times they follow their own schedule, and that is dictated by the time they need to be available in the sacristy for Masses.
The public just loves them and they are the embassadors of the community. You can talk with them and have interactions with them, something you cant do with the cloistered nun.
Because so many monasteries were hurting for sisters, the externs in many places just died out. Hopefully with the resurgence of vocations, more will see the beauty in this vocation and aspire to it.
Great discussion of this often over looked group!

AlterDominicus

Yes, beautiful vocation or rather appointment in the community, using your own words being an "Ambassador" of the community. They play a big role in the community. YAY for externs! :thumbsup:

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1373570' date='Aug 29 2007, 01:28 PM']Yes, beautiful vocation or rather appointment in the community, using your own words being an "Ambassador" of the community. They play a big role in the community. YAY for externs! :thumbsup:[/quote]

I'm not sure what you mean by "appointment". The only community I know of in which externs are [i]appointed[/i] is the Dominicans in Lufkin, whom we were talking about recently.

Generally an extern chooses, with the permission and agreement of the community/superior, to be an extern sister even before she enters. At least, that is the practice in almost every community I am aware of.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1373602' date='Aug 29 2007, 01:18 PM']I'm not sure what you mean by "appointment". The only community I know of in which externs are [i]appointed[/i] is the Dominicans in Lufkin, whom we were talking about recently.

Generally an extern chooses, with the permission and agreement of the community/superior, to be an extern sister even before she enters. At least, that is the practice in almost every community I am aware of.[/quote]

I am also under the impression that a woman chooses to be an extern sister before she enters.

I am not sure but I might be called to be an extern my VD and I are praying about it so please keep me in your prayers.

In Christ Marge

[quote name='Rose_of_Sharon' post='1374133' date='Aug 30 2007, 05:41 PM']I am not sure but I might be called to be an extern my VD and I are praying about it so please keep me in your prayers.

In Christ Marge[/quote]

:bigpray: Praying for you as you discern
God Bless . Jenni

Edited by Jennirom

[quote name='Rose_of_Sharon' post='1374133' date='Aug 30 2007, 11:41 AM']I am not sure but I might be called to be an extern my VD and I are praying about it so please keep me in your prayers.

In Christ Marge[/quote]

Sister Esther Marie can teach you a lot the extern life is. She has a lot of experience and was a great example to me when I was discerning between cloistered/extern at OLAM ^_^

Edited by Totus Tuus

Does anyone know of any specific cloistered monasteries that are looking for/ in need of extern vocations? Some communities may be content without them but perhaps there are some out there who would really like to have externs.

Thanks-
Graciela

[quote name='Graciela' post='1374561' date='Aug 30 2007, 10:45 PM']Does anyone know of any specific cloistered monasteries that are looking for/ in need of extern vocations? Some communities may be content without them but perhaps there are some out there who would really like to have externs.

Thanks-
Graciela[/quote]

The Discalced Carmelites in St. Louis have only 1 extern sister and she is getting on in years, from what I heard.

I believe that many communities would love to have an extern. With the dearth of vocations, any new ones were immediately pulled into the cloister, and communities adjusted to life without externs. The only way to know is to ask, so when writing/emailing communities bring the subject up.

[quote name='alicemary' post='1374752' date='Aug 31 2007, 09:46 AM']With the dearth of vocations, any new ones were immediately pulled into the cloister, and communities adjusted to life without externs.[/quote]

I have never heard that before. How did you come to that understanding?