An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Looking To Know About Communities?

Sister Rose Therese

AlterDominicus

Yup, I'm a Dominican at heart, but um....somethings changed and yeah I'm really confused and going :crazy: in my vocation right now.

Sister Rose Therese

[quote name='stlmom' post='1372576' date='Aug 28 2007, 04:44 PM']I'm guessing most of the discerning folks here would like to see pictures of the sisters, especially if your order has a distinctive habit, and probably some statements about prayer life, community life and apostolate. Telephone numbers, email and snail-mail addresses and how best to contact the vocation director, also whether you sponsor vocation retreats. Good luck, Sister, and welcome! :cool:[/quote]

[quote name='chelsea' post='1372577' date='Aug 28 2007, 04:44 PM']Pictures! You need pictures of the nuns, not only to show their joy, but because many people look to see if they wear habits.[/quote]

Thank you all so much!
So we have Horarium, vocation story/stories, basic apostolate info , history tidbit, joyful pictures of Sisters, statements on prayer and community life, contact info, any retreat info.
Wow, I should get your guys to write this :)

Edited by Sister Rose Therese

AlterDominicus

lol I'd be willing to help. Yeah, pictures is a MUST, like Mother Mistress said a long time ago so much of the world has to see things, there isnt much tolerance for snail mail or waiting for things, they have to see it. :eek: <see? :lol:

cathoholic_anonymous

Please write about your apostolate and lifestyle very clearly and simply. I get a bit frustrated with material that declares, "We aim to unite ourselves closely with the Gospel, in a spirit of humility and simplicity, and serve Christ in a radical way through faithful adherence to our charism and loyalty to Mother Church." It sounds...too grand. And all the orders say the same thing, so you end up not really learning anything. Be distinctive.

be_thou_my_vision

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' post='1372581' date='Aug 28 2007, 03:46 PM']Now perhaps the answers here would be too varied but for those of you who are looking or when you were looking, do you or did you know whether you wanted to be dominican, franciscan, carmelite...?
I know when I was looking I knew it was going to be a franciscan community so I didn't even really look at any others.[/quote]
Hmmm I thinking about the cover... maybe St. Francis in the backround of a picture with one or two of your sisters... That communicates that you are still living out the ideals and mission of St. Francis.
Or a picture of the inside of your chapel without sisters. [url="http://www.com.washington.edu/Program/irc/projectExamples/gradBrochure/gradBrochureCover.jpg"]Here[/url] is an example... I know it's not a church, but you get the idea!

Sister Rose Therese

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1372609' date='Aug 28 2007, 05:27 PM']Please write about your apostolate and lifestyle very clearly and simply. I get a bit frustrated with material that declares, "We aim to unite ourselves closely with the Gospel, in a spirit of humility and simplicity, and serve Christ in a radical way through faithful adherence to our charism and loyalty to Mother Church." It sounds...too grand. And all the orders say the same thing, so you end up not really learning anything. Be distinctive.[/quote]
Good point, it's on my list.
In their defense, I think it gets hard for congregations that are involved in many apostolates to describe them in a sentence.

Saint Therese

I would say the most basic and important things are: 1) a statement of your form of life-contemplative, active,etc. 2) a concise statement of charism, mission and goals 3) a brief note about the spirituality of order/community 4) lots of pictures!! 5) A note about the fidelity to the magesterium, Holy Father, whether you wear habits and what the habit signifies 6) entrance requirements and meaning of vocation <_< Thats all I can think of. :mellow:

Edited by Saint Therese

Sister Rose Therese

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1372609' date='Aug 28 2007, 05:27 PM']Please write about your apostolate and lifestyle very clearly and simply. I get a bit frustrated with material that declares, "We aim to unite ourselves closely with the Gospel, in a spirit of humility and simplicity, and serve Christ in a radical way through faithful adherence to our charism and loyalty to Mother Church." It sounds...too grand. And all the orders say the same thing, so you end up not really learning anything. Be distinctive.[/quote]

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='1372612' date='Aug 28 2007, 05:29 PM']Hmmm I thinking about the cover... maybe St. Francis in the backround of a picture with one or two of your sisters... That communicates that you are still living out the ideals and mission of St. Francis.
Or a picture of the inside of your chapel without sisters. [url="http://www.com.washington.edu/Program/irc/projectExamples/gradBrochure/gradBrochureCover.jpg"]Here[/url] is an example... I know it's not a church, but you get the idea![/quote]

OK so: Horarium, vocation story/stories, clear simple statement of apostolate and lifestyle, history tidbit, joyful pictures of Sisters, statements on prayer and community life, contact info, any retreat info.
Cover - Sisters with St. Francis, or appropriate stand-in :)) or good Chapel picture. That was a beautiful photo by the way.

Edited by Sister Rose Therese

Pictures are a must. Both pictures of the monastery and of the sisters. An horarium is great. If it's not obvious by the name of the Order, a bit on which Rule is followed and maybe an inspiring excerpt from the Constitutions of the Order. Quotes that inspire a religious vocation. Again, pictures!

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' post='1372581' date='Aug 28 2007, 04:46 PM']Now perhaps the answers here would be too varied but for those of you who are looking or when you were looking, do you or did you know whether you wanted to be dominican, franciscan, carmelite...?
I know when I was looking I knew it was going to be a franciscan community so I didn't even really look at any others.[/quote]

Most of the people here are following a certain spirituality. We have our Carmelites, Franciscans, Dominicans, Benedictines, etc., who have not entered any Order yet but have already deciphered, so to speak, what their spirituality will be.

Sister Rose Therese

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1372621' date='Aug 28 2007, 05:41 PM']I would say the most basic and important things are: 1) a statement of your form of life-contemplative, active,etc. 2) a concise statement of charism, mission and goals 3) a brief note about the spirituality of order/community 4) lots of pictures!! 5) A note about the fidelity to the magesterium, Holy Father, whether you wear habits and what the habit signifies 6) entrance requirements and meaning of vocation <_< Thats all I can think of. :mellow:[/quote]

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1372625' date='Aug 28 2007, 05:45 PM']Pictures are a must. Both pictures of the monastery and of the sisters. An horarium is great. If it's not obvious by the name of the Order, a bit on which Rule is followed and maybe an inspiring excerpt from the Constitutions of the Order. Quotes that inspire a religious vocation. Again, pictures![/quote]

Alright Horarium, vocation story, clear simple statement of apostolate, lifestyle, charism and spirit, history tidbit, joyful pictures of Sisters and convent pics, statements on prayer and community life, entrance requirements, inspiring quotes, contact info, any retreat info.
Cover - Sisters with St. Francis or good Chapel picture.

I think a statement of our apostolate will make it pretty clear that we are active, healthcare. Our community is The Sisters of the Third Order of St. Francis, so I think it will be pretty clear which rule we follow :)

Phew, we are really getting somewhere!

Sister Rose Therese

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1372632' date='Aug 28 2007, 05:48 PM']Most of the people here are following a certain spirituality. We have our Carmelites, Franciscans, Dominicans, Benedictines, etc., who have not entered any Order yet but have already deciphered, so to speak, what their spirituality will be.[/quote]

So it would probably be a good idea to have our community name very obvious at the top, to catch the eye of all our possible Franciscans.

AlterDominicus

[quote name='be_thou_my_vision' post='1372636' date='Aug 28 2007, 05:52 PM']Franciscan!!! WOOOOO yeah!!![/quote]

Dominican!!! WOOOOO yeah!!!

Though you and I are Sisters in Christ we are also cousins by Order.

Sister Rose Therese

I have no biases in that respect.
I'm a Franciscan named after a Dominican and a Carmelite.