An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Are You Looking To Know About Communities?

Sister Rose Therese

Sister Rose Therese

Hello,
I have recently been asked by our vocation director to redesign our vocation brochure. I have a question for all you discerners out there or those who are new to religious life. What kind of information are you looking to know about a religious community? When you have seen brochures, what are the things that attract you to different communities? Or what things make it or break it?
You only have so much room on a brochure and I want to make sure that what I put into it are the things that are key. Any suggestions?

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' post='1372509' date='Aug 28 2007, 04:18 PM']Hello,
I have recently been asked by our vocation director to redesign our vocation brochure. I have a question for all you discerners out there or those who are new to religious life. What kind of information are you looking to know about a religious community? When you have seen brochures, what are the things that attract you to different communities? Or what things make it or break it?
You only have so much room on a brochure and I want to make sure that what I put into it are the things that are key. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Hi, Sr., welcome to Phatmass,

I'm Gemma, the Coordinator of Cloister Outreach, and we've been sending out vocation literature packages all over the country for many years.

If you wish, you may email me at foundress2003@yahoo.com I can probably send you a pkg of literature to show you what others (cloisters) are doing.

Blessings,
Gemma

One thing I always look for is the daily schedule of prayers, and things like times for prayer in silence, and whether there is a good amount of time to make a personal preparation for Holy Mass, and a period of thanksgiving afterwards - to be able to really center the day on the Eucharist.

So the daily horarium is definitely a must. :j

Edited by Margaret Clare

Sister Rose Therese

Wow! You guys are fast.
Good things to note. The Horaium might be a little tough. For us some of it depends on which house you live in. We have had to make adjustments for priests schedules and even work schedules in the smaller houses. But I could put the horarium for the house of Formation in.

AlterDominicus

Welcome to the phamily Sister! :welcome:

Vocation stories are always a good thing and basic information of what the community does, its apostolate and such maybe a tidbit on the communities history.

fides quarens intellectum

first thing i notice is whether/not there is a strong statement about fidelity to Rome.

Sister Rose Therese

Thank you! This is quite the forum, um phorum :)
So, so far we have Horarium, vocation story/stories, basic apostolate info , history tidbit.
All good points. Keep 'em comin'

Sister Rose Therese

OK, How do you word that?
I don't want it to sound like a "We are. Those others aren't" kind of a thing

[quote name='Sister Rose Therese' post='1372530' date='Aug 28 2007, 01:51 PM']Wow! You guys are fast.
Good things to note. The Horaium might be a little tough. For us some of it depends on which house you live in. We have had to make adjustments for priests schedules and even work schedules in the smaller houses. But I could put the horarium for the house of Formation in.[/quote]
That would be great! And even if you can only write in generally what the sisters do on a day to day basis, such as a daily Holy Hour, those are good things to know. :pray:

AlterDominicus

This is sooo cool we have like a million sisters and nuns on the phourm! :D Um...I'm fresh out of ideas, haha, I should know because I helped to make a newsletter in a Cloistered Community. :think:

Sister Rose Therese

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1372562' date='Aug 28 2007, 04:30 PM']That would be great! And even if you can only write in generally what the sisters do on a day to day basis, such as a daily Holy Hour, those are good things to know. :pray:[/quote]
That I could do.
Next question. Ok, you're leaving the church and you walk past the bulletin board or brochure rack, or whatever they have. What makes you pick one up?

I'm guessing most of the discerning folks here would like to see pictures of the sisters, especially if your order has a distinctive habit, and probably some statements about prayer life, community life and apostolate. Telephone numbers, email and snail-mail addresses and how best to contact the vocation director, also whether you sponsor vocation retreats. Good luck, Sister, and welcome! :cool:

Pictures! You need pictures of the nuns, not only to show their joy, but because many people look to see if they wear habits.

Sister Rose Therese

Now perhaps the answers here would be too varied but for those of you who are looking or when you were looking, do you or did you know whether you wanted to be dominican, franciscan, carmelite...?
I know when I was looking I knew it was going to be a franciscan community so I didn't even really look at any others.