An Old School Catholic Message Board

About Dominican Monasteries

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Thomist-in-Training

Hey Photosynthesis,

Sr. Rose of St Mary of the Dominican Nuns of Buffalo told me in a letter I just received, "We hope to be having the Mass of '62--Latin--soon as our chaplain learns it. We have to practice it too and are excited about it."

:))

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1374107' date='Aug 30 2007, 08:50 AM']Hey Photosynthesis,

Sr. Rose of St Mary of the Dominican Nuns of Buffalo told me in a letter I just received, "We hope to be having the Mass of '62--Latin--soon as our chaplain learns it. We have to practice it too and are excited about it."

:))[/quote]
Wow, thanks for sharing! I wonder if many other communities out there from the different Orders are planning to have the 1962 missal also now since the Motu Proprio.

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1373329' date='Aug 29 2007, 04:49 AM']There are a few monasteries who, although cloistered, contemplatives who are part of the Dominican family, are diocesan and have their own constitutions.[/quote]
Is Lockport one of those?

Edited by Margaret Clare

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1374114' date='Aug 30 2007, 12:01 PM']Wow, thanks for sharing! I wonder if many other communities out there from the different Orders are planning to have the 1962 missal also now since the Motu Proprio.
Is Lockport one of those?[/quote]

I don't kow about other communities. I do know of several parishes.

Yes, Lockport at present is a diocesan community. They may be using our constitutions in so far as they can or they may have their own.
Mt. Thabor in Ortonville, MI and the Perpetual Rosary Sisters in Milwaukee each have their own constitutions. There is a monastery in Norway or Sweden that is similar.

To someone just looking at these communities there doesn't seem much difference but there usually are differences that are actually make these communities quite different. For example, the profession of the Nuns is made to the Master just like the friars which these communities don't have. Mt. Thabor's prioress is in for life and Milwaukee's prioress can have unlimited terms. We have term limits--2 consecutive terms or 3 if the person receives 2/3 of the vote and the request is approved by the Ordinary or Regular Superior. But never more than that.

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1374164' date='Aug 30 2007, 10:30 AM']Yes, Lockport at present is a diocesan community. They may be using our constitutions in so far as they can or they may have their own. Mt. Thabor in Ortonville, MI and the Perpetual Rosary Sisters in Milwaukee each have their own constitutions. There is a monastery in Norway or Sweden that is similar.

To someone just looking at these communities there doesn't seem much difference but there usually are differences that are actually make these communities quite different. For example, the profession of the Nuns is made to the Master just like the friars which these communities don't have. Mt. Thabor's prioress is in for life and Milwaukee's prioress can have unlimited terms. We have term limits--2 consecutive terms or 3 if the person receives 2/3 of the vote and the request is approved by the Ordinary or Regular Superior. But never more than that.[/quote]
Thanks for the reply! Do these cloistered diocescan communities make a Solemn Profession as the nuns do? Do you know if Lockport is looking into becoming officially Dominican Nuns, as you said "at present?"

Edited by Margaret Clare

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Margaret Clare' post='1374181' date='Aug 30 2007, 01:59 PM']Thanks for the reply! Do these cloistered diocescan communities make a Solemn Profession as the nuns do? Do you know if Lockport is looking into becoming officially Dominican Nuns, as you said "at present?"[/quote]

No, they don't make Solemn Profession. I don't know what Lockport's plans are regarding incorporation into the Order.

SMC

Thomist-in-Training

[quote]We have term limits--2 consecutive terms or 3 if the person receives 2/3 of the vote and the request is approved by the Ordinary or Regular Superior. But never more than that.[/quote]

What's the story on prioresses? Is it that all Solemnly Professed nuns vote in the election and each term is a few years? They are called "Mother," yes?

Thanks Sr. Mary Catharine :)

AlterDominicus

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1374254' date='Aug 30 2007, 03:26 PM']What's the story on prioresses? Is it that all Solemnly Professed nuns vote in the election and each term is a few years? They are called "Mother," yes?

Thanks Sr. Mary Catharine :)[/quote]

They call them Mother and Mother Mistress in Lockport.

Mother Valerie = Mother or Rev. Mother and its easier to call the Novice Mistress, Mother Mistress. Dont ask me why. :P:

Edited by AlterDominicus

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Thomist-in-Training' post='1374254' date='Aug 30 2007, 04:26 PM']What's the story on prioresses? Is it that all Solemnly Professed nuns vote in the election and each term is a few years? They are called "Mother," yes?

Thanks Sr. Mary Catharine :)[/quote]

Dominican Priors and Prioress, Provincials and the Master have limited terms. A prioress is in for a 3 year term and can be reelected. But for a 3rd term she must have 2/3 of the vote of the Chapter. She can be elected again after someone else has had a term.

Our tradition has NOT been to call the prioress "Mother". St. Dominic was always "Brother" Dominic. the Prioress is 1st among equals. Calling the prioress Mother came in after the French Revolution but she was always called Sister in the Profession formula.

Thomist-in-Training

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1374360' date='Aug 30 2007, 06:06 PM']Dominican Priors and Prioress, Provincials and the Master have limited terms. A prioress is in for a 3 year term and can be reelected. But for a 3rd term she must have 2/3 of the vote of the Chapter. She can be elected again after someone else has had a term.

Our tradition has NOT been to call the prioress "Mother". St. Dominic was always "Brother" Dominic. the Prioress is 1st among equals. Calling the prioress Mother came in after the French Revolution but she was always called Sister in the Profession formula.[/quote]

Interesting, thanks!