An Old School Catholic Message Board

About Dominican Monasteries

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Sr Mary Catharine OP

Off and on I notice threads asking about a Dominican monastery and "does anyone know anything about them?"
It's a pretty broad question and one that I think I could answer as a general overview because our monasteries in the US/Canada work pretty closely together, especially in the area of formation and ongoing formation.

Although our veils might be slightly different, unlike other Orders, it's no indication of liberal/conservative/traditional. Our monasteries all follow ONE constitution and are on the same page theologically. So, the differences are slight, like in a family of many brothers and sisters, aunts, uncles and cousins. It's a common topic of conversation at meetings to find out what another monastery does and then respond with, "You do it THAT way?" or "WOW, that's a great idea!" And this can be in any number of the observances!

Some monasteries use Latin more or less, others, not so much or not at all, but it's no indication of whether they are "traditional or not. And as you all know the word "traditional" has about 20 shades of meaning!

Some monasteries have beautiful old choirs and chapels, others have simple ones, or others have ones that are more modern and again it's no indication as I have found out over the years I've visited various monasteries.

One monastery might be more "quiet" in it's approach, another more vibrant, another a mixture but I assure you they all have JOY!

All our monasteries chant the entire Liturgy of the Hours. Almost all have Adoration all day, some all night, and some a few nights a week.

In the end, I think the best thing you could do is write the monastery you are interested in for more information. Then you can pick up the spirit of the community which is often too hard to express in words. Often it's about a "fit" that the Holy SPirit knows you will thrive in THIS community rather than THAT community.

I don't know if this helps. I hope so!

God bless you!
Sr. Mary Catharine

PS the Lufkin community had a website which went down in hurricane Katrina and it was never put up again for some reason. They are a beautiful community which for YEARS has been receiving a steady flow of vocations. They don't use Latin, wear the old coif and their chapel is sort of modern looking but the community is full of zeal for the faith, the contemplative life and the mission of the Order of Preachers.

Thanks for all that information Sr. Catharine. It is so true, you really cant tell about a community untill you visit and have spent time with them. A pretty website does not make for a real God filled community.
I am often surprised when I hear of people who make plans to enter a community yet dont know that first thing about them. Or they are afraid to ask questions. To me that has disaster written all over it.
And you can't judge a pot by its cover....just because one might wear a 'full habit' means little to me. How those woman practice their faith in community means far more.

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='photosynthesis' post='1372300' date='Aug 28 2007, 09:55 AM']Are there any contemplative Dominican orders that use the extraordinary form Mass?[/quote]

No, because what we used was the Dominican Rite, we only had the TLM when a non-Dominican visiting priest came. I think the Buffalo monastery may be having the Dominican Rite once a month for the 3rd Order.

photosynthesis

What's different about the Dominican rite? I'd be really interested as I have a strong devotion to St. Dominic.

photosynthesis

I've looked on eBay for old Dominican breviaries but haven't managed to find any. Apparently they used to have their own office too.

I was also under the impression that the Council of Trent abrogated a lot of order-specific and regional rites when it defined the Tridentine Mass. Did Dominicans get a special dispensation to continue using their own rite? Does the order have permission to use it now?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='photosynthesis' post='1372507' date='Aug 28 2007, 04:13 PM']I've looked on eBay for old Dominican breviaries but haven't managed to find any. Apparently they used to have their own office too.

I was also under the impression that the Council of Trent abrogated a lot of order-specific and regional rites when it defined the Tridentine Mass. Did Dominicans get a special dispensation to continue using their own rite? Does the order have permission to use it now?[/quote]

Yes, St. Pius V was a Dominican and any rite that was 200 years or older could remain and ours was. We still keep some things from the old Office, etc.

The Order went to the ROman Rite for various reasons in 1969. The Office pretty much got "ruined" during the reform of Pius X. It's too complicated to go into here.

If you goggle the Dominican Rite I think you can find the ordinary of the Mass.

Hey, this is some great information! I know very very little myself about the Dominican cloistered nuns in the US.

[quote name='Sr. Mary Catharine' post='1372293' date='Aug 28 2007, 06:48 AM']And as you all know the word "traditional" has about 20 shades of meaning![/quote]
That is sooo true!

Edited by Margaret Clare

Do all dominican communities whether active or cloistered follow the same constitution? If not what determines if a community is Dominican?

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1372648' date='Aug 28 2007, 06:59 PM']What would you say is the barometer for a healthy community? :mellow:[/quote]

[quote name='Marieteresa' post='1372747' date='Aug 28 2007, 08:27 PM']Do all dominican communities whether active or cloistered follow the same constitution? If not what determines if a community is Dominican?[/quote]

These are 2 great questions! I'll answer the 2nd one first.
All Cloistered [i][/i]moniales, that is those who are incorporated into the Order as Nuns of the Order of Preachers follow the same constitutions. There are no "primitve observance" houses or anything like that. There are a few monasteries who, although cloistered, contemplatives who are part of the Dominican family, are diocesan and have their own constitutions.

Each active congregation follows its own constitutions.

A community is considered Dominican when the Master of the Order and his curia recognizes a community as such. Some older congregations are "aggregated" to the Order, others are "affiliated, while some newer ones are "recognized". The terms seem to be used interchangably. The community is recognized as being Dominican when it follows the spirit, charism, customs and mission of the Order.

For a monastery to be incorporated into the Order first there has to be the permisson of the Bishop then the Master gives the permission to the community to make profession according to the Constitutions of the Nuns. There must be at least 9 Solemnly Professed and usually a monastery already in existence sort of takes that new monastery under her wing and provides a formation although this isn't always the case.

Enough of that. What is the barometer of a healthy community?
First, I would have to emphasize that I'm looking at this as a Dominican which means that some of what I'll say is conditioned by our understanding of religious life.
First, that the community is united in it's goal and united on what it means to be this particular kind of religious.
Second, that there is a spirit of trust, charity and openess among the members. I've seen communities where there is a great lack of trust and sisters are afraid to speak, afraid that someone will "tell on them", etc. Not pretty. It leads to all sorts of abuses, especially against common life.
The community should be grounded in the mind and heart of the Church and in the charism of it's founder. You get that right and everything else can work out even if there are times of tension and confusion.
Members need to be free to speak out, to express their opinions, to know that they are respected even if others don't agree.
I would also say that a community needs to not take itself too seriously! It needs to be convinced that while we are all striving for holiness, we are sinners and that God's mercy can only abound in this little part of the Church if we are convinced of the need for God's mercy! If a community doesn't have this it will be very demanding of a perfectionism or even worse, an IMAGE of perfectionism of its members. It's hard to be forgiving if I can't accept my own sinfulness first! The 2nd person of the Blessed Trinity became a man and invites us to become human, also. It's said that the holier a person is the more human that person is. I think that's true.

I think I'd better stop! I'm sure others would add something or disagree. That's OK! Dominicans love to debate because this way we can, with God's grace, come to the truth of something.

Thanks for asking these questions!

God bless you!
Sr. Mary Catharine

Thomist-in-Training

[quote]That makes two of us. I didnt even know Dominicans had a "rite" Though I suppose every Order does??[/quote]

I think the story was this: The Order was founded in the 1200s, before there was a standard Roman Rite, so things were somewhat varied regionally. But if you're going to have a worldwide Order, you have to have the same Rite in Rome, Florence, Spain, Cambridge,..., so that friars can follow the communal Liturgy whichever house they are at. Remember Dominicans are "ramblin' men." So someone or other (maybe the 2nd or third Master of the Order was it?) set down a standard Form of Mass for all the priories. The point of the establishment of the Tridentine Mass was to crack down on lots of liturgical innovations (hm!) and really random and varied stuff; I guess people kept coming up with new Forms of Mass; but a Rite which had been established for 200 years could remain in use. (So the Mozarabic Rite, in Spain, and the Ambrosian Rite, in Milan, were allowed to stay. I [i]think [/i]that's right. No pun intended. really.)

Edited by Thomist-in-Training

that is what I always love about Dominicans, they speak their mind! They love a good discussion and all contribute. I have been in some convents/monasteries where the sisters are very guarded, almost afraid to speak. I know I could never live in such a repressive enviornment. When in a Dominican house you can always expect to get a good debate going.