An Old School Catholic Message Board

Harassment Of Homosexuals In The Military

infinitelord1

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Paladin D' post='1381357' date='Sep 8 2007, 09:18 PM']You can't just "leave" the US Army, unless you do something what warrants a dishonorable discharge (or wait till your term is up).

If I'm wrong, someone correct me.[/quote]

[quote name='Semalsia' post='1381707' date='Sep 9 2007, 12:22 PM']I just did some fast research on this (googling). There are number of ways to get a honorable discharge ([url="http://www.objector.org/girights/gettingout/discharges.html"]See here[/url]). Being openly gay is one of them.

Also, according to wikipedia 11,000 have been discharged from the military due to homosexuality since 1993. That's two per day.

I don't know much about the military, but it seems to me IL could leave if he wanted to. Especially if everyone is already pushing him out.[/quote]

I was going to say that. :)

[quote name='ironmonk' post='1381731' date='Sep 9 2007, 01:46 PM']People who live the homosexual lifestyle have no business in the military.

That's like a straight guy staying in a girls dorm in college.
God Bless,
ironmonk[/quote]

I agree with that. Avoiding near occasions of sin, so on and so forth. It has nothing to do with "equal opportunity" and everything to do with morality.

[quote]I see this as the army trying to push me out.[/quote]

When I first started reading this thread I was saddened by the way you've been treated. But the more I see comments like this the less I feel sympathetic towards you. I'm an Army wife (my father was also in the Army as a reservist for over 20 years, my brother and one of my bros-in-law are Marines), I've seen and heard much of the carp that goes on in the shops and around base (I'm just illustrating that I've spent plenty of time around soldiers and military bases, I do know what I'm talking about), and while the guys you work and live with are acting in a deplorable manner I think your frustrations need to be pointed in the proper direction.

Saying things like not getting you your military drivers license is the Army "punishing" you and the like is a ridiculous notion. Ridiculous. Right now my husband is one of TWO guys in his company with his military DL, most of them are supposed to have it (and everyone in his shop is supposed to, but they don't). You think an entire company is being punished because someone in the Army doesn't like them? No, there are other priorities and sometimes things are sacrificed "for the mission"--I am sure you've heard that phrase again and again.

There are a handful of bullies that you have to work with, you're shy, quiet, and you suffer from depression, which I am sure makes all their rude comments and uncouth jokes much more difficult to bear. But the ARMY isn't out to get you. Honestly, those claims are beginning to sound like a conspiracy theory.

I'm sorry to hear how poorly you have been treated :( But the reality is that the military is not usually the best place for those carrying this particular cross, same-sex attraction, or really any other serious disorder. The military is not where you go to heal from severe depression or bipolar disorder, for instance. It is a high-stress institution, and it takes a very healthy individual (healthier than me!) to thrive in that environment.

Prayers for you!

[quote name='infinitelord1' post='1382452' date='Sep 10 2007, 07:35 AM']Homosexuality is wrong. Harassing homosexuals is wrong. Harassing people who suffer from SSA is wrong too. How do you think people who dont live homosexual lifestyles yet suffer from SSA should be treated? I think they should be treated fairly.[/quote]So what behavior that is particular to someone who suffers from SSA that is supposed to be allowed? Looking at Gay magazines? Talking about how cute another guy looks? How would anyone know if you aren't acting on it? That doesn't mean you have to be a horn dog and make crude comments about women just to fit. As has been pointed out by others in this thread, merely refraining from those comments will make you stand out and get picked out. Having morals is different enough to make yourself a target of others. What exactly are you doing or not doing that is unique to SSA that is causing you to be discriminated against?

I'm going to give you advice that comes from me [yet another military wife]

Even if you aren't wild about picking up girls--go with the guys on some of their nights out. What they are doing is called [b]bonding[/b] You ever hear of military guys talking about their "brothers"? It's because they know, no matter what, the men on either side of them will be there when it all lets loose. They need to know you. Big things, stupid things, just who you are. Get with the program, be a part of their lives and let them into yours. You gotta be part of the team and it seems to me that you are standing back and saying NO!.

Military life ain't pretty. Guys blow off steam and sometimes their mouths go with it. They do it in different settings and times but rarely around women [from my experience] If this isn't your style, I don't think you'll be crucified for your clean honorable language, but BE THERE WITH YOUR GUYS.

You have set a wall between you and your buddies and you have to tear it down.

It's a calling and this can have its tough moments like any vocation. You are at a rough patch right now. Take a deep breath and begin again. I bet the guys will warm up to you--slowly at first, but give it time.

When you think about verbal abuse, all it is is mental abuse. It doesn't harm you physically, it harms you mentally.

Other people cannot mentally abuse you. Only [b]you[/b] can mentally abuse you. [b]You[/b] are the one who processes the things you hear and turns it into abuse. [b]You[/b] have to be the one to stop the abuse, and unless you want to go through your entire life being abused, then you have to figure out a way to stop [b]yourself[/b] from abusing yourself.

You cannot control other people. You [b]can[/b] control yourself. Train your brain how to process things differently so that what [b]other[/b] people do (no control) do not affect [b]you[/b] (total control).

Control or be controlled.

You have two options:
1. Train every person you ever meet in your entire life how to treat you.
2. Train one person how to mentally handle the way people treat him.

Option #2 may be a long tough road, but it is WAY easier than option #1.

According to what was posted on the first page:

[quote name='infinitelord1' post='1372261' date='Aug 28 2007, 07:12 AM']The surprising thing is a colonel was even associated with this behavior. I was giving him a brief one day, and out of nowhere he made a comment. His comment was “I am assuming you are straight….some people aren’t though”.[/quote]

This is not just peers, but also supervisors. Anti-harassment policies, whether military or civilian, are set up precisely to guard against this. Whether he jumped the gun by going straight to the senator rather that through official channels is another question, but don't make light of it when it gets to the supervisory level.

On the other hand, IL, I am noticing themes that raise red flags on your end.

[quote name='infinitelord1' post='1382450' date='Sep 10 2007, 06:26 AM']While some gay people want to make homosexuality a "norm"....some people suffering from SSA may not argue homosexuality being morally wrong. Because our society is such a "gay bashing" society...it makes it very hard for those who are trying to change. People dont take the time to understand the beliefs of someone who is suffering from SSA...they just write them off as a "fag".[/quote]

I'm trying to get a handle on where you are in your personal life.

For one, although I am not in general a "blame the victim" type, you need to ask yourself if you've done anything that broadcasts SSA to others. If you haven't, all fine and well. But if you have, you need to realize that you cannot give "ammunition" to those who harass you. It gives people the creeps, myself included (although less so after I started benching 225). It's just common sense prudence and survival skills.

The harassment you are going through is a catch-22: if you really are gay, you are going to be discharged. If you are not, you may not be able to claim harassment as a part of a class that you really are not part of.

Secondly, this theme that you seem to harp on:

[quote name='infinitelord1' post='1381658' date='Sep 9 2007, 10:34 AM']lets us not forget equal opportunity[/quote]

Are you in the army to serve your country or to advance an agenda? Because if it's the latter, you are going to be perceived as a troublemaker, and rightly so.

Edited by Norseman82

[quote name='infinitelord1' post='1382812' date='Sep 10 2007, 07:40 PM']My intentions on posting this was not to get sympathy from people...however I am glad thats people are giving me all kinds of ideas to survive in the military. My intention was to expose what is going on in the military.[/quote]We got the picture of what is going on. You just don't agree and have your own opinion.

What's going on is that you're easily offended, and 20? yo young men are offensive.

Ooooooo. Call the 'Offensive Police'!

I'm almost 50 years old and openly laugh at 'uber-religiosity'. Yet I do have morals regarding how/what men say about/to women. I'm in construction, which isn't known to attract people with high standards of civilized behavior. I don't go out 'catting' in bars. Don't talk shi# with waitresses. Will say something to my boss or co-workers or employees if I feel they say something offensive to women in my presence. I catch alot of carp and am on the butt-end of many offensive jokes, comments, and angry rebuttals. I don't get the 'fag' comments often (as I've been married for 25 years and have picutures of my grown daughters in my office), but I do get them. There are plenty of even more offensive comments.

Toughen up, and stop being a baby. Getting upset and engaging offensive people for every offensive only makes things escalate. I make my comments and view points known. When people respond with offensive comments, I chose to ignore them instead of wallowing in my feelings of being 'offended' and challenging every comment until someone backs down. Sometimes it's best just to keep my mouth shut and let the jerk make a few comments until someone else tells him to shut and and stop being a *kh*. It's YOUR choice how 'offended' you decide to be.

In the Military, it's a 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' policy. Why are you breaking that policy by telling everyone you're 'gay' by becoming extremely offended? You still haven't provided a SINGLE behavior that you believe you are entitled to as someone with SSA that is being disallowed by the Military or your fellow soldiers.

[quote name='Cathoholic Anonymous' post='1381986' date='Sep 9 2007, 05:26 PM']Although somebody once suggested that I join the Royal Air Force (they thought I would make a good code-breaker) I refused to sit the aptitude test because I knew that I wouldn't be good at the other things that come with being in the RAF. I can see that the military isn't a suitable place for many people. I'm not sure whether this applies to IL as I don't know him. Presumably he must have some of the required strengths to be able to get into the military in the first place. I probably wouldn't have passed the RAF's tests.

I think that there is a difference between the kind of courage needed on the battlefield and the kind of courage needed to handle bullying. Plenty of very brave men and women struggle with bullying - especially when it comes from people who are meant to be your comrades. It's psychologically corrosive. My brother is in the British Army and he says that it is a big problem in places. He got incredibly angry with a group of bullies when his regiment was in Iraq, as he said that they were bad for morale. The military is no place for bullies either, especially as bullying is usually cowardice in disguise.[/quote]
Again, I'm not defending bullying, but let's face it - the military is tough, and warfare is even tougher. And mental toughness is if anything more important than physical toughness. Face it, if he can't handle bullies calling him names, how will he ever be able to stand firm in an enemy POW camp (if, God forbid, it come to that)?

[quote name='Anomaly' post='1382724' date='Sep 10 2007, 03:40 PM']So what behavior that is particular to someone who suffers from SSA that is supposed to be allowed? Looking at Gay magazines? Talking about how cute another guy looks? How would anyone know if you aren't acting on it? That doesn't mean you have to be a horn dog and make crude comments about women just to fit. As has been pointed out by others in this thread, merely refraining from those comments will make you stand out and get picked out. Having morals is different enough to make yourself a target of others. What exactly are you doing or not doing that is unique to SSA that is causing you to be discriminated against?[/quote]
Good points.

IL, this is a tough situation, no way around it. But going to a senator is not going to get you the respect of your comrades and superiors. Quite the opposite. And getting more p.c. laws enforced giving "protection" to homosexuality (which has no place in the military) is not the answer.

Guys in the military are not known for high sexual morality. I've known a number of guys in the Marines and Army, and it's tough trying to live a Christian life when all the other guys want to spend all their spare time fornicating, going to strip joints, etc. You'll get some flack for attempting to lead a chaste life. But somehow they managed to get through and succeed without writing senators or such, nor with being commonly known as a "fag."
We can't solve your problems for you - only you can; but I'd recommned listening to the advice of Ironmonk and others. Crying to a senator is only going to worsen your problems.

[quote name='infinitelord1' post='1382450' date='Sep 10 2007, 07:26 AM']So what you are saying is only select individuals should be gaurenteed equal opportunity...you cant call it equal opportunity then. You are also saying that it is ok to harass people if they are suspected or even openly gay. The reason why I say this is....you are saying that equal opportunity does not apply to homosexuals. This leaves it open for gays to harassed and mistreated if there are no laws protecting them or even no laws being enforced. The military has a law that protects them...unfortunately it is not being enforced. Some corporations even include sexual orientation in the equal opportunity policies. So you cant say that equal opportunity applies to all the above except homosexuality.

I dont think god wants even his gay people to be harassed. In fact, i think God would prefer that people reach out to his gay people to comfort them. Maybe if everyone was excepting of gay people then there wouldnt be as many gays in this world. I have done my research on this subject. As a matter of fact, one of the root causes of homosexuality is emotional, and is caused by lack of bonding with the same sex. Maybe if heterosexual men would treat gays like one of their own...it might just fill those emotional gaps and at least lessen homosexual attractions. What makes it so hard is that most men cant stand being around gay men...and it is unlikely that a gay man would have this sort of opportunity.

While some gay people want to make homosexuality a "norm"....some people suffering from SSA may not argue homosexuality being morally wrong. Because our society is such a "gay bashing" society...it makes it very hard for those who are trying to change. People dont take the time to understand the beliefs of someone who is suffering from SSA...they just write them off as a "fag".[/quote]

First, there are certain things that people do that do indeed disqualify them. Please explain me how it is a good idea for a 19 year old straight boy to stay in a all girls college dorm. Same concept... Homosexuals have no place in the military. Most people in the military do not want homosexuals in it. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand the concept... just as girls should not have a straight guy in their dorm... but homosexual attraction is deviant and disordered. Discrimination in the workplace where someone who does have ssa (stricktly because they're ssa) is wrong... keeping people with ssa out of the military when people have to be around them 24/7 is right. People with ssa should not be priests and should not be in the military.

If you have ssa, then you should get out of the military. Just as it would be wrong for me to live with a bunch of women. Think about it objectivly, coupled with EVERYTHING in the Scriptures and ever written about it by the saints, and you would see that people with ssa SHOULD NOT be in the military.

I almost joined the military... but then Clinton was elected and I didn't because Clinton said he was going to let practicing homosexuals in the military. The recruiter understood when I told him because of Clinton and never called again. Why not join, because it is simply not right to allow ssa in the military... for the many reasons that have already been posted.

[b]The military is not a place to teach people to want to live with people with ssa. [/b]

Our society is far from gay bashing. Calling someone 'fag' is not gay bashing. Our society is way to homosexually friendly... we cannot watch a home improvement show with our families without seeing two guys or girls with ssa shacked up.

Most people don't have time to try to understand people with ssa, because those issues run deep. Most people I know with ssa have various other issues that make ssa look like a symptom of deeper problems. Like I wrote, get educated and go to www.Cathmed.org

Welcome to the real world, stop feeling sorry for yourself and start solving your problems. I really don't think the issue is about ssa and people who shouldn't be in the army being mistreated, I think this issue has shown to be more of a kid tired of getting picked on because he doesn't talk to people. Now, maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it. [b] - It doesn't have to be this way, you can use what you've learned, change and learn how to better interact with people for now and the future.[/b] Otherwise, this kind of alienation will follow you everywhere.

Like others have already pointed out, you have the power to let something bother you or not. You joined the army, what this means is that the people around you might end up dying for you or you for them... the Army is not some after school club... it's real, the stress is real, the danger is real... Crying over no one liking you is your own fault and problem that you need to figure out what to do and fix it by actually doing things with and talking to the people around you. When you realize what the Army is, then maybe you'll understand this.

You are in control of your happiness. You can not force people to like you. You can change and people might start liking you.

I think you should leave the army simply because you have written a senator about being alienated and called names.

[b]Either toughen up or get out. [/b]

If you go to war now, you will get someone killed because you couldn't handle it. Either toughen up or get out. - This is not some "macho" talk as I had seen someone write earlier... what it is, is the truth and real. Soldiers need to be strong mentally and physically. Go watch Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, etc... get an idea of the kind of stuff that the military have to go through in the world... boot camp needs to toughen people up... if it doesn't, people die.

Edited by ironmonk

As for no homosexuals in the military.... I agree 100% with General Pace... a Catholic.

-------------------------------------
[url="http://www.catholicmil.org/html/article.php?id=557"]http://www.catholicmil.org/html/article.php?id=557[/url]

[b]No Surrender: Catholic Marine’s Beliefs Under Fire[/b]
Written by Paul A. Barra
02Apr07

— America’s top military officer generated a firestorm of criticism last week when he called homosexual acts immoral and said that the military should not condone them.

02April07 WASHINGTON, DC: Gen. Peter Pace, USMC, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, later said that he should have "focused less on my personal moral views," but he did not apologize for his remarks to the Chicago Tribune.

"I do not believe the United States is well served by a policy that says it’s okay to be immoral in any way," said Pace, a Catholic.

The armed services instituted a policy when Bill Clinton was commander-in-chief that allows men and women with same-sex attraction to become soldiers and sailors. But the "don’t ask, don’t tell" policy asks that they keep their sexuality secret.

The Servicemembers Legal Defense Network (SLDN), a Washington, D.C.-based advocacy group for homosexuals in the military, expressed outrage at the general’s remarks. Spokesman Steve Roth called them "insulting to gay and lesbian military members who are serving their country at great sacrifice" and said that part of the problem is the deceit called for in the military rules.

"The SLDN is absolutely opposed to Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell and calls for its immediate repeal. It’s interesting that openly gay and lesbian British soldiers have served in Iraq with U.S. forces and there has not been one complaint about a service member feeling uncomfortable nor have there been any incidents," Roth told the Register.

But Sen. Brownback led an effort by senators to praise General Pace’s remarks.

"General Pace’s recent remarks do not deserve the criticism they have received," said his Senate letter. "In fact, we applaud General Pace for maintaining a personal commitment to moral principles. He has demonstrated great leadership during a very difficult time and he continues to do so today."

Pace, 62, was born in Brooklyn and raised in Teaneck, N.J., by Italian-American parents. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in 1967 completed The Basic School, MCB Quantico, Va., in 1968, and rose through the ranks, collecting degrees, commendations and medals, along with rapid promotions. He was appointed chairman of the Joints Chiefs in September 2005, the first "leatherneck" to hold the post.

Pace’s comments reflect the teaching of the Catholic Church.

"Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that ‘homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered,’" says the Catechism in No. 2357-8. "They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life.

They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity.

Under no circumstance can they be approved."

Yet, the Catechism continues: "The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided."

The Archdiocese for the Military Services serves more than 675,000 Catholic men and women in uniform, counting reservists and Coast Guard members. The 1,000 Catholic chaplains of the archdiocese have been led for the past 10 years by Archbishop Edwin O’Brien.

"I just wonder why and how some public figures can express their private opinions about the morality or immorality of things like homosexual activity, and others can’t. I don’t think it’s a matter of being in uniform, because Gen. Pace has made it clear in his past service that he has upheld the law," Archbishop O’Brien said.

The archbishop also took issue with the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network’s stand on the "don’t ask, don’t tell" policy, saying that there is "virtual unanimity in the military" that the law works and that "morale would suffer without it." He also said that homosexual actions or the promotion of homosexual agendas are not problems in the armed services.

Pace, he said, is suffering under an atmosphere of intimidation and political correctness "that is over the top right now."

Based on Pace’s statement, though, an observer might think that the general himself is not much weighed down by the atmosphere the archbishop mentioned.

The Marine said that his upbringing leads him to "believe that certain types of conduct are immoral," including faithlessness in marriage. When adultery occurs within the military community, he said, the military command prosecutes it. The line should not be drawn at heterosexual relationships.

"I believe that homosexual acts between individuals are immoral," he said, "and that we should not condone immoral acts."

Roth, of the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network, felt that Pace crossed an important line when "he injected his personal opinion into a political debate."

Lt. Col. Michael Wagner disagrees. He’s retired now, after serving 25 years in both the Army and Air Force. He said that homosexual advocates such as the Servicemembers Legal Defense Network and the secular news media miss an important point in their wrath.

"The Uniform Code of Military Justice is designed for the general good of the military," Wagner said. "The military is a unique creature; it’s an environment where your life may be dependent on someone else’s and where a natural bonding takes place. That’s difficult to occur where homosexuals are. It’s demoralizing."

Wagner thinks that Pace not only had a right to speak his mind, but an obligation to do so.

"After all, he is the adviser to the president and secretary of defense," he said, "so if he sees immorality affecting the military, he has to speak out."

First of all, I have no problem with the dont ask dont tell policy. So long as someone with SSA doesnt break the policy...others should not break the policy as well. You cant expect someone with SSA to obey the policy and others not to. That would be wrong.

Second of all, thing would be a lot different if people with SSA were treated more fairly.

Third, so long as someone doesnt break the policy...they should have every right to serve their country. If they do break the policy then it should be reported to the chain of command and punishment under UCMJ should be inflicted.

I cant believe that anyone on this thread would even attempt to justify harassment of anyone period based on anything. You are simply saying this out of emotion and not reason. God would not and does not tell us to harass anyone. He recognizes that we are ALL sinners, and that we should reach out to our neighbors.

The only reason you have given me as to why homosexuals shouldnt serve in the military is because of accomodations. Someone said that many reasons were listed and that is not true.

Most people would suffer great pain if they were mistreated by their superiors and comrades at the scale i have been mistreated. Many people were involved in this.....I repeat MANY.

I would agree that homosexuality has to do with other deep seated issues.

Bro,
I think you've missed the point.

When people don't like us, we have to adapt (aka change) if we want them to like us. You are going to have to interact with people.

No one has condone mistreatment. Alienation is not mistreatment. Insults need to be addressed at the time of the insult.

Maybe you need to read the thread again... you need to handle things yourself, if you cannot handle insults, it's doubtful that you will be able to handle war... either you should learn to handle insults by addressing them and talking to people, or get out of the military.

Going to a senator and having the entire barrecks attend some training is not going to show reason to hard headed late teen and early twenty somethings... it's going to make them worse. Maybe if you talked to them, you could have made a difference.

Sometimes we need to plant seeds... something you might have said might have made them realize they were in the wrong... return good for evil right? but you wanted them punished... these are not impressionable 3 and 4 year olds.... these are people who have been developing their sense of right and wrong for at least 18 years... if you want people to reason, you have to reason with them... not ignore them and make them think you hate them... make them think that you wouldn't have their back in a time of need...

Something I realized just now as typing this, I was thinking that some of my theories in previous posts were correct... it's because you didn't address them (granted, some where rhetorical - but not all).... this lack of response on various topics is not going to help you in life... so you have a chance to improve yourself - you know what you need to do, so do it.... start talking and addressing things when they come up...

God Bless,
ironmonk

[quote name='ironmonk' post='1383853' date='Sep 11 2007, 09:30 PM']Bro,
I think you've missed the point.

When people don't like us, we have to adapt (aka change) if we want them to like us. You are going to have to interact with people.

No one has condone mistreatment. Alienation is not mistreatment. Insults need to be addressed at the time of the insult.

Maybe you need to read the thread again... you need to handle things yourself, if you cannot handle insults, it's doubtful that you will be able to handle war... either you should learn to handle insults by addressing them and talking to people, or get out of the military.

Going to a senator and having the entire barrecks attend some training is not going to show reason to hard headed late teen and early twenty somethings... it's going to make them worse. Maybe if you talked to them, you could have made a difference.

Sometimes we need to plant seeds... something you might have said might have made them realize they were in the wrong... return good for evil right? but you wanted them punished... these are not impressionable 3 and 4 year olds.... these are people who have been developing their sense of right and wrong for at least 18 years... if you want people to reason, you have to reason with them... not ignore them and make them think you hate them... make them think that you wouldn't have their back in a time of need...

Something I realized just now as typing this, I was thinking that some of my theories in previous posts were correct... it's because you didn't address them (granted, some where rhetorical - but not all).... this lack of response on various topics is not going to help you in life... so you have a chance to improve yourself - you know what you need to do, so do it.... start talking and addressing things when they come up...

God Bless,
ironmonk[/quote]

ok so i need to address things more...I agree. Its really not the alienation that bothers me. I can live with that.

I do agree that its hard for people to develop a bond with a suspected homosexual. I dont know if its really demoralizing for them or not. They may not like someone because they suspect such things, but there are people who dont like people (in general) in the military as well. But because of such a vast majority of people not liking homosexuals i can see where this would be a problem. But at the same time, maybe its them who should be called to "grow up" as well. Please dont take my case and apply it to all homosexuals in the military. You would be stereotyping then.

Maybe its on the battlefield that homosexuals can prove that they are worthy given that they were treated fairly all along.

Edited by infinitelord1

IL,
Again, I'm asking, what behavior(s) are you engaging in that is demonstrating that you are a homosexual or have SSA? What behavior do you want to engage in that is being prevented because of of 'harrassment'?