An Old School Catholic Message Board

Monastery Of The Infant Jesus

AlterDominicus

[quote name='chelsea' post='1373406' date='Aug 29 2007, 10:36 AM']wait can we go over what an extern is again? sorry i'm a little slow.[/quote]

Almost done highjacking this thread alter!

OK, an extern is a sister who lives in a contemplative community and generally has the same horarium as the community, except she is not bound by the vow of [i]papal enclusure[/i]. This simply allows her to take care of needs which have to be met outside of the enclosure. For example, an extern can clean the public side of the chapel, be there for the priests who say Mass in case they need anything (or for pilgrims, if they have them). They can also do the grocery shopping and take cloistered sisters to appointments outside of the enclosure.

Some contemplative communities don't have externs; they find a way to function without them. i.e., some Dominicans will have their tertiaries volunteer to maintain the outside part of their monastery, and have volunteers to do their grocery shopping and take them to doctor's appointments. Just depends on the community. With Dominicans, I notice that it differs by community. Lufkin appoints theirs, Marbury has volunteers do external work (they don't have any externs at all), and Buffalo has bona-fide externs :) I was an extern at a Shrine, so they were a more integral and necessary part of the community since there is a large number of pilgrims and work to be done outside of the enclosure. However, at other monasteries of Poor Clares of Perpetual Adoration which are not shrines, the externs live inside of the enclosure proper and go out on a more extraordinary basis than those at the shrine in Hanceville.

Edited by Totus Tuus

[quote name='chelsea' post='1373454' date='Aug 29 2007, 11:27 AM']got it, thanks!![/quote]

If you want to talk more about it you could start a thread! I don't know if we've ever had a thread on externs ^_^

AlterDominicus

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1373449' date='Aug 29 2007, 11:23 AM']Almost done highjacking this thread alter![/quote]

Eh? What? :think: :crazy: Huh? What did I miss? I was ranting and raving about how nuns never answer their phones. :think: ^ :crazy: :lol:

[quote name='AlterDominicus' post='1374440' date='Aug 30 2007, 08:34 PM']Eh? What? :think: :crazy: Huh? What did I miss? I was ranting and raving about how nuns never answer their phones. :think: ^ :crazy: :lol:[/quote]

What? I meant that I was highjacking the thread... :P

AlterDominicus

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1374442' date='Aug 30 2007, 08:37 PM']What? I meant that I was highjacking the thread... :P[/quote]

Oh...........okie, by all means Hi, Jack away. I never liked him anyway. :getaclue: