An Old School Catholic Message Board

Question On Extended Stays In Rome

Totus Tuus

JMJ + FC

So I have heard that people who visit Rome can stay in a monastery for a month or more. Does anyone have any details on this phenomenon or know if it is true? Is the cost of living in Rome for a month or two very high? Would any of you who have been there recommend going for purely the experience, and not specifically to study? Personally I'd like to go to experience the history of the Church and learn more about its roots. I don't have any plans to go but have been wondering about this for some time.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Lauren

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1371867' date='Aug 27 2007, 07:03 PM']JMJ + FC
So I have heard that people who visit Rome can stay in a monastery for a month or more. Does anyone have any details on this phenomenon or know if it is true? Is the cost of living in Rome for a month or two very high? Would any of you who have been there recommend going for purely the experience, and not specifically to study? Personally I'd like to go to experience the history of the Church and learn more about its roots. I don't have any plans to go but have been wondering about this for some time.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Lauren[/quote]

Lauren, I'm sure there are many religious communities where you could stay for an extended period. The Brigittines in Rome are there specifically for hospitality of pilgrims. I don't know if the monastery in Monte Mario in Rome serves pilgrims. (That's the Dominican one)
There is one in Trastevere where the students of Thomas More College in NH stay. I forget the name of it and I don't have the address anymore. I'm sure they could give you some valuable information.

It sounds wonderful! You'll find that 1 month isn't enough!

I don't know about the cost of living but it's higher there than here.

Hi Lauren :)

You certainly can stay at many different convents in Rome for an extended period of time, I knew several people who did when I stayed there. My personal experience when I was looking for a place to stay though was that convents ended up being a lot of money for what you got overall. Basically, they're the same price as a room in an apartment, but you often share a bathroom with 5+ other girls, have a curfew you need to be in by, pay for all of your meals, even if you often wouldn't be there for lunchtime, and have to deal with lots of other people coming in and out who stay shorter periods of time and are quite loud. Many times the nuns don't speak any english either so you should know at least a little bit of Italian.

I hope I'm not discouraging you from the idea though! On the other hand, you would probably be able to find somewhere to stay for just a month easier if you were in a convent, and then sometimes the sisters allow access to their chapel as well. I guess it really depends on what you are looking for. If you plan on spending a lot of time in prayer and quiet reflection, you might prefer to live in a convent and might be able to make special arrangements with a particular community. If you want to primarily see and experience the city and its history, I would say getting a short term apartment might be a better route.

In general, expect to pay around 600 euros for one month's stay in a convent, including food, 400 without food. A room in an apartment runs anywhere from 200 euros to 1000+. I would say 200 euros a month for food and transportation, etc is plenty if you are frugal.

If you are interested in either the convent or the apt route, I have some contacts that I can give you. Living in Rome is a wonderful experience, and completely worth it, even if you aren't studying anything in particular!

God bless!
Claire

FaithfulRoseofMary

Lauren,
... one more quick recommendation (goodness, it's getting late).

In Rome - The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur have a Motherhouse, with a guest house and a hotel on the property. They are located on Via Camallucia in Rome - The city bus stop is right across the street from the Motherhouse gate. I have address and phone # information I can share with you.

Perhaps, if you explained your situation and your pilgrimage intentions (and - that (perhaps) it is a deeper preparation for religious life) - some fiscal arrangements could be made.

The Sisters are very kind and hospitable and would watch out for you and your well-being while in this most holy city!

It might be worth inquiring... Just say that one of Sr. Rita's "Rome 2000" pilgrims recommended them to you. (don't know if that will help... but at least it will indicate where you heard about them.)

I'll e-mail contact information tomorrow.
God bless you,
FaithfulRoseofMary

+

Food and travel are very inexpensive. Rooming is VERY expensive. To rent an apartment for under 600 euro with a bathroom and kitchen isn't really possible. I have to recommend staying at a convent. Plus, becareful with apts. they often don't come with appliances. I only spent a year there, but pm me if I can help with details.

God Bless,
Julie

Edited by Veritas

[quote name='faithfulrose' post='1372043' date='Aug 27 2007, 09:26 PM']In Rome - The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur have a Motherhouse, with a guest house and a hotel on the property.[/quote]

The hotel is no longer owned by the sisters and the former chapel has been reformed. The motherhouse ist still there, and the former guesthouse Vila Maria Regina is now a hotel managed by private persons. But it might still be nice.
The website of the motherhouse is

www.sndrome.org

the site of the hotel is:

[url="http://www.villamariaregina.com/"]http://www.villamariaregina.com/[/url]

Edited by juchu

Wow this is awesome information all of you! I am so grateful. Let me know if you have any more tips.

Edited by Totus Tuus

If you do go to Rome and happen to see the nuns in lavendar or yellow habits, please do me a favor and see if you can get a picture or ask them their order.

Its driving me crazy that I saw them and don't know who they are! They were walking around right in St. Peter's Square but I was on a bus and couldn't talk with them,

linnie

I'm so glad you started this thread, Lauren, because I've been wondering the same sort of thing.

Does anybody know of a website (in English) that has the specs (prices, neighborhood, etc.) of Roman apartments for rent? I might want to go with my mom, and so was wondering if anybody knew about monthly rates for 2 bedroom apartments in Rome---that come with appliances.

Thanks so much!

There's a craigslist for Rome - I'd say that's a good start:

[url="http://rome.craigslist.org/"]http://rome.craigslist.org/[/url]

It's probably the most often updated english listings for apts in Rome. EDIT: You just have to be careful, there are a good number of scams on there too. There are also a few on the Rome network in Facebook, but not very many.

Edited by morostheos

This is such great info. Carmelitess, I was told that apartment prices in Rome are quite astronomical. You may have some luck finding a good deal with God on your side (you never know...)

Thanks everyone!

• 4 weeks later...
VeniteAdoremus

This is a long shot, but you could try getting a "apprenticeship" (I can't think of the proper English word, the Dutch one is "stage", pronounced French-like) at the Vatican, or at your embassy. These are short-time low-level jobs that'll leave you time to experience the city and often will help you with room and board, too. It will also provide you with an instant network of locals (expat or not) who know their way around and can show you the non-touristy parts of the city, which is, well, essential :)

• 2 weeks later...

Lauren,

Tyburn has a convent in Rome only a few streets away from the Vatican. You might like to get in touch with them and ask. Hope that helps. :))