An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Guy With His Shirt Off

XIX

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1451267' date='Jan 26 2008, 08:19 PM']i love how this thread began about guys, but inevitably led to womens' modesty. i accept culpability for this shift, though. :tomato:[/quote]

It did?!??

So I DON'T have to wear a tankini!??

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1451233' date='Jan 26 2008, 08:50 PM']That first one is ugly. Women should be able to be modest without having to wear ugly things.[/quote]

Lol I agree. I like to look nice and perty when I go about my day to day business. :)

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='fides quarens intellectum' post='1451267' date='Jan 26 2008, 09:19 PM']i love how this thread began about guys, but inevitably led to womens' modesty. i accept culpability for this shift, though. :tomato:[/quote]
This thread is still about guys!!!!

[img]http://buckleyplanet.typepad.com/cafetour/WindowsLiveWriter/Ninja.jpg[/img]

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1451278' date='Jan 26 2008, 11:52 PM']This thread is still about guys!!!!

[img]http://buckleyplanet.typepad.com/cafetour/WindowsLiveWriter/Ninja.jpg[/img][/quote]

Cool, our future family. *Im taking the picture*

[img]http://a.abcnews.com/images/International/rt_afghan_scarf_071001_ssv.jpg[/img]

I love this! I would wear this. Men can wear the Ninja and women can wear this and all will be happy.

[quote name='hot stuff' post='1451271' date='Jan 26 2008, 08:38 PM']It did?!??

So I DON'T have to wear a tankini!??[/quote]

Well, you do.

[quote name='Deb' post='1451281' date='Jan 26 2008, 06:57 PM'][img]http://a.abcnews.com/images/International/rt_afghan_scarf_071001_ssv.jpg[/img]
I love this! I would wear this. Men can wear the Ninja and women can wear this and all will be happy.[/quote]
keep dreamin'. ;)

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1451233' date='Jan 26 2008, 03:50 PM']That first one is ugly. Women should be able to be modest without having to wear ugly things.[/quote]

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1451261' date='Jan 26 2008, 05:50 PM']I've been scared i think I saw an ANKLE!!!!!!!!!! :boink:

Sex appeal is what you make of it. People can live nude and not have an excuse for sexual deviance or rape.[/quote]

relativism. people shouldn't have an excuse for anything, but the reality we live in is what it is.

[b][size=3]what last generations didn't accept, we now accept. what this generation won't accept, the next generations will accept. [/size][/b]

oh and for sake of the topic, previous generations didn't accept shirtless men. why is that?

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' post='1451258' date='Jan 26 2008, 05:36 PM'][img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/europe_muslim_veils/img/1.jpg[/img]
[img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/05/europe_muslim_veils/img/3.jpg[/img]

All styles available here: [url="http://hijab.soody.co.uk/"]http://hijab.soody.co.uk/[/url][/quote]

i like the hijab and shayla. they look the most like our pictures of the Blessed Virgin Mary.

========

so i know i am pretty alone and NOT "in there like swim wear", but i would still like to hear a response from a Catholic perspective as to why Our Lady's dress is not reasonable, if not ideal, for all of us? not to mention Jesus' and Joseph's attire.

veils, sandals, modest clothing.. WWJD? if it's good enough for the Holy Family, it's good enough for me. if only we all could be in habits, i'd be a happy camper.

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1451318' date='Jan 26 2008, 09:26 PM']oh and for sake of the topic, previous generations didn't accept shirtless men. why is that?[/quote]

Um, yes they did, in some areas and in some times. How far back are you speaking? And where? Vague statements don't support your argument. The Greeks, the Maya, some Celtic peoples, and some American Indian nations are the first groups that come to mind. I'm not even including many African and Austronesian cultures. You need to be more specific.

Please don't take this as an attack. I agree that modesty is a virtue, but blanket statements present difficulties.

[quote]relativism. people shouldn't have an excuse for anything, but the reality we live in is what it is.

what last generations didn't accept, we now accept. what this generation won't accept, the next generations will accept.

oh and for sake of the topic, previous generations didn't accept shirtless men. why is that?[/quote]

Your point being? There are previous generations who accepted shirtless women. There are previous generations who did not accept long dresses that fell to the middle of the calves.

Physical attraction [b]is[/b] relative. What I find cute, someone else might find not so cute. Some guys are attracted to younger women. Some guys are attracted to women their age. Senior citizens are more likely to find other sixty year olds attractive. Some guys are attracted to red hair, some aren't.

Physical attraction is not consistent across cultures. We have had a different "perfect body" that lustful guys try to go after every decade. Centuries ago, it was heavy women who were considered incredibly attractive. A few decades ago, guys dreamed of the more voluptuous ladies. Today, the media tells us that unrealistically athletic girls have the perfect body. And if you go to any other culture, you will get a different history/timeline of what guys considered attractive.

So physical attraction is relative. It stands to reason that modesty is also relative to our current culture. We are what we are. In general, guys are turned on by exposed thighs, belly, lower back, and private parts, extremely tight jeans. There's also a considerable gray area of outfits that could be considered slightly immodest, but that most women could probably get away with.

We are still attracted to feet and eyes and hands and such, but they don't carry a sexual connotation anymore. That's just the way we are wired, for better or worse. And you're right, we will probably change in 30 years. What actually turns us on will change, too--not just the social norms.

Anyways, that's probably also why guys weren't supposed to walk around with their shirts off. Although I suspect it also involved more than sexual modesty--it was just a social norm. Like wearing shoes in the library. Or not wearing pajamas to work.

(edit: Sorry nade, I was directing that towards johnnydigit...lol...confusion)

Edited by XIX

[quote name='johnnydigit' post='1451327' date='Jan 26 2008, 11:49 PM']i like the hijab and shayla. they look the most like our pictures of the Blessed Virgin Mary.[/quote]
I will give you that--they are rather nice. And for all the disagreements I have with you, I'd still say that most women would be better dressed in one of those, than in what they wear today. It is etter to overdress than to show to much.
[quote]so i know i am pretty alone and NOT "in there like swim wear", but i would still like to hear a response from a Catholic perspective as to why Our Lady's dress is not reasonable, if not ideal, for all of us? not to mention Jesus' and Joseph's attire.[/quote]See my above post on how attraction/turn-ons/etc. are somewhat subjective to the time period. If Mary lived today, she would at the very least wear something that was in line with the culture she was living in. I know this because that is exactly what she did when she was physically on this planet.

Saint Philomena isn't dressed like the BVM in her visions/statues/pictures. Her long hair is showing. And sometimes she wears flowers.
[quote]veils, sandals, modest clothing.. WWJD?[/quote]
Sir, with all due respect, this is a terrible strawman. We are all trying to ask this question and find the answer to this question in this thread. It's not like any of us are going to disagree with the notion that we should do what Jesus would do. However, you present the "WWJD" question as if it were a question that we're all somehow ignoring.
[quote]if it's good enough for the Holy Family, it's good enough for me.[/quote]
Using that logic, all fathers should be carpenters. And all families should have one kid. Besides, do you honestly wear a robe and sandals to work?