An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Guy With His Shirt Off

XIX

Lawl. Yeah, I heard about the skin cancer thing before... In fact, it used to be(/still is?) a big health system propaganda piece for the summer.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1371054' date='Aug 26 2007, 02:56 PM']Speedos in public are a mortal sin.[/quote]
Let's not even consider the evils of tiger or leopard print speedos on men of my build or larger.

one has to get some sun or not have enough vitaman D. Its far more unhealthy to take a supplement than to spend some time in the sun and get tanned

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1439996' date='Dec 30 2007, 03:18 PM']one has to get some sun or not have enough vitaman D. Its far more unhealthy to take a supplement than to spend some time in the sun and get tanned[/quote]
What is this "sun" of which you speak? I have heard of a magical disc of golden light that appears during the "day", yet I have not seen it.

I wake up in the morning, go to work in the dark outside. I leave work in the evening, and drive home in the dark outside. At night I look outside, yet it is dark.

Yes, there is the moon, but it is a white disc, not golden. :sweat:

[quote name='Autumn Dusk' post='1439996' date='Dec 30 2007, 01:18 PM']one has to get some sun or not have enough vitaman D. Its far more unhealthy to take a supplement than to spend some time in the sun and get tanned[/quote]
most people need to get 15 minutes of unprotected sun per day. of course, fair skinned people (like us redheads) don't need that much because our skin will absorb the vitamin D much quicker. 15 minutes of unprotected sun i would start to get a burn! :shock:

of course on thursdays, i get 1 hour of unprotected Son :cool: when i go to Adoration. :)

xTrishaxLynnx

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1440050' date='Dec 30 2007, 05:54 PM']most people need to get 15 minutes of unprotected sun per day. of course, fair skinned people (like us redheads) don't need that much because our skin will absorb the vitamin D much quicker. 15 minutes of unprotected sun i would start to get a burn! :shock:

of course on thursdays, i get 1 hour of unprotected Son :cool: when i go to Adoration. :)[/quote]

hahaha! good one, Lil Red! :P

[quote name='xTrishaxLynnx' post='1440052' date='Dec 30 2007, 06:56 PM']hahaha! good one, Lil Red! :P[/quote]
and lets not forget the hour or so of unprotected Son during Mass. Maybe we need a T-shirt that says "Regular exposure to the Son can prevent Sin Cancer"

xTrishaxLynnx

[quote name='Staretz' post='1440062' date='Dec 30 2007, 06:06 PM']and lets not forget the hour or so of unprotected Son during Mass. Maybe we need a T-shirt that says "Regular exposure to the Son can prevent Sin Cancer"[/quote]

hahaha... reminds me of a bumper sticker that says "Warning: Exposure to the Son may prevent burning!"

It actually may say Caution, but I've forgotten now.

Edited by xTrishaxLynnx

As the merest glimpse of my virile torso sends any and all females into a mad frenzy of uncontrollable lust, I am forced to cover myself with a large burka-like structure before venturing into the outside world.

[quote name='prose' post='1371583' date='Aug 27 2007, 10:51 AM']I don't mind shirtless. BUT the bottoms need to be pulled up to an appropriate level. Men with the swim trunks that seem to be being held up by their... um... privates. And then you see not only the six pack, but the muscles that lead to their pelvis. This can DEFINITELY be occasion to sin. definitely.[/quote]

..............and occasion for drooling which is most unattractive.

xTrishaxLynnx

[quote name='Deb' post='1440223' date='Dec 30 2007, 09:43 PM']..............and occasion for drooling which is most unattractive.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='Staretz' post='1440062' date='Dec 30 2007, 04:06 PM']and lets not forget the hour or so of unprotected Son during Mass. Maybe we need a T-shirt that says "Regular exposure to the Son can prevent Sin Cancer"[/quote]
awesome! i love it!

oh dUSt!!! :whistle:

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='XIX' post='1371050' date='Aug 26 2007, 12:22 PM']I tend to avoid those places just to avoid the women in bikinis, so it's kind of moot to me from a practical perspective. But I've always wondered if it is considered immodest for a guy to not wear his shirt.[/quote]

same here. everyone is at a different point in their journey, and i feel i'm at a point where i'm sensitive to such things, and i would prefer not to be around such an occasion of sin. if i don't really have much choice, then i will go and know that i will have to try hard to control my eyes and mind.

do i follow this always? no. if there are really attractive girls who i know are going to wear bikinis, i'll try not to go at all. if they are not going in the water, i'll go but not go in the water. if there are female friends who i think may be attracted to me, i'll try not to be shirtless. wearing a shirt into the water - kinda awkward so i won't go there, yet. a girl wearing a t-shirt would be swell.

my ultimate goal is to reasonably not arouse thoughts in others, and hopefully they'll do the same for me. when going to the gym or beach, i don't wear tight tank tops anymore - at the least, a loose, sleeveless t-shirt. incognito.. mixing in with the crowd.. not calling attention to oneself..

========

on another note, what about people who know they are somewhat above average looking.. more on the attractive side.. should they try to be even more modest?

i think they should. double standard? yes. the reality is, more people will notice the attractive person. "with great power comes great responsibility!" maybe they can use it to evangelize..