An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Guy With His Shirt Off

XIX

[quote name='Didymus' post='1371415' date='Aug 27 2007, 12:53 AM']so true. girls - please cover your stomach! not because it is unattractive, (cuz it's not unattractive) but because it is [i]so sacred![/i]

where precious life spends it's first moments shielded by a mother's womb[/quote]
Bikinis. It's so easy to forget that there was a time very recently that you could go to a beach and expect to see almost everyone in a one piece.

Yeah. Waaay too much skin showing. Good thing I'm not an avid beach goer... maybe once a year?

Edited by Sacred Music Man

For me, as a girl, a guy with his shirt off at the beach or pool is not an occasion of sin. And a guy with his shirt off in a place where it should be ON just grosses me out. :)

[quote name='Didymus' post='1371415' date='Aug 26 2007, 11:53 PM']so true. girls - please cover your stomach! not because it is unattractive, (cuz it's not unattractive) but because it is [i]so sacred![/i]

where precious life spends it's first moments shielded by a mother's womb[/quote]

"The Privilege of Being a Woman" by Alice Von Hildebrand talks about this. She says that because a woman's body can hold life within it, certain parts of her body should be covered that men do not need to cover as an absolute rule.

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1371067' date='Aug 26 2007, 02:10 PM']I think some of that depends on context and how one is presenting themselves. Like a woman in a competitive swimming suit at the Olympics doesn't seem as overtly sexual and flagrantly immodest as a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue photo spread. I think the same goes for guys. I don't think much of seeing a dude with his shirt off because he is swimming at the beach or public pool -- but walking around at a house party with your shirt off to flaunt your body and look like a "hottie" to the ladies is quite different.[/quote]

I have man-boobs, a pot belly, and weird patches of hair all over. I flaunt my body all the time.

I could show a certain picture of a certain PMer on the beach covered in sand and body hair. :rolleyes: However, his fiancee would probably deck me and I've shown enough embarassing pictures of them lately.

I don't mind shirtless. BUT the bottoms need to be pulled up to an appropriate level. Men with the swim trunks that seem to be being held up by their... um... privates. And then you see not only the six pack, but the muscles that lead to their pelvis. This can DEFINITELY be occasion to sin. definitely.

Overall, however, I think it is fine.

As for the 2-piece. A tankini I think is perfectly modest and appropriate.

I agree on the tankini thing.

And to expand on my earlier comment, after some thought: When I have issues with a guy being shirtless, I think of it as my problem and not his. As in, I don't think a shirtless guy is immodest. I think that if I have an issue it is my heart/mind that needs to change, not his level of dress.

Granted if the shirtlessness were happening at an inappropriate time I might feel differently about it.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1371598' date='Aug 27 2007, 01:31 PM']I agree on the tankini thing.

And to expand on my earlier comment, after some thought: When I have issues with a guy being shirtless, I think of it as my problem and not his. As in, I don't think a shirtless guy is immodest. I think that if I have an issue it is my heart/mind that needs to change, not his level of dress.[/quote]

Wouldn't it be wonderful if we all could learn this.

amen cmom!

[quote]A tankini I think is perfectly modest and appropriate.[/quote]

i agree! i actually hate one pieces (well, unless you're on swim team), they end up being SO unflattering and make you look pregnant, when you're NOT, at least on me anyways. they're just too clingy, tankinis actually have more fabric or something so that there is a little more draping of fabric going on, instead of just tight yuckiness.

[quote name='chelsea' post='1371151' date='Aug 26 2007, 05:31 PM']I have no problem with guys not wearing shirts.

But that being said, if a guy doesnt have to wear a shirt, girls shouldnt have to wear a one piece. its the same principle.[/quote]

[b][color="#4169E1"]I don't think that is a very prudent line of thought...

And I LOVE Didymus' post about bikinis. So true![/color][/b]

photosynthesis

Whenever I go swimming, I tend to wear a one-piece bathing suit. If I'm sitting on the beach or by the pool, I'll put on shorts or a sarong for a cover-up. As long as the bathing suit doesn't show cleavage, I think this is pretty standard in terms of modesty at the beach.

Would I show that much skin at work? No. Would I wear an outfit like that to church? Absolutely not. But I think it's acceptable to show a little bit more skin at the beach than you wouldn't ordinarily show, simply because it's hot and it's safer to swim when you're not dragged down by lots of clothing.

As for men, I think it's acceptable to just wear swim trunks when you're in the ocean, although most men in my family tend to swim with T-shirts on too. I think that's because they're hairy, portly and have fair Irish skin and not because they're concerned people lusting after them.

[quote name='Totus Tuus' post='1371516' date='Aug 27 2007, 09:09 AM']"The Privilege of Being a Woman" by Alice Von Hildebrand talks about this. She says that because a woman's body can hold life within it, certain parts of her body should be covered that men do not need to cover as an absolute rule.[/quote]
That's really insightful

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1371400' date='Aug 26 2007, 11:40 PM']This topic reminded me of a funny story my dad told me. When he was a kid, the YMCA was just for guys, and they swam in the nude. After swim class, he discovered that someone had stolen his clothes. He had to go home by running across the rooftops. In NYC you can do that is some parts of town. It was also snowing at the time, so no one was sunning themselves on the tar beaches. He lived with his grandmother, and she vacillated between being angry at him for losing his clothes, and corrupting the morals of anyone who might have seen him. I forget how many rosaries he said she made him do, but it was a bunch.[/quote]

:lol_roll: :sweat: :lol_roll:

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1371523' date='Aug 27 2007, 09:21 AM']I have man-boobs, a pot belly, and weird patches of hair all over. I flaunt my body all the time.[/quote]
PLEASE STOP! :blink: