An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Guy With His Shirt Off

XIX

[quote name='Socrates' post='1451579' date='Jan 27 2008, 02:27 PM']I think some basic common sense is needed.
Girls - don't dress like skanks.
Guys - forgo the speedos in public.

I'm all for modesty, but this doesn't mean women need to wear burka-like clothes or shapeless sacks. Being modest need NOT entail making oneself unattractive to the opposite sex. There is nothing wrong with being attractive, but there is a difference between dressing attractively and blatantly flaunting one's body to the world.

If women were forced to hide everything that might attract male attention, they'd be forced to do the whole burka and veil thing. A beautiful face can be a "turn-on" - a nice set of lips, as can a nice head of hair. The extreme Muslims take care of this by requiring head coverings and facial veils (but alas, even those can't hide a sexy pair of eyes!)
And lets face it - some ladies are blessed with bodies that are a "turn-on" in almost any clothes they wear.

We Catholics are not Muslims, and we are not puritans. The human body is not in itself evil, nor is physical attraction. However, we shouldn't dress in a way as to sexually flaunt our bodies. People need to stop the silly quibbling and use some common sense.[/quote]
:clapping: :clapping:

[quote name='XIX' post='1451551' date='Jan 27 2008, 03:23 PM']For reals?[/quote]
For reals.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1451579' date='Jan 27 2008, 04:27 PM']I think some basic common sense is needed.

I'm all for modesty, but this doesn't mean women need to wear burka-like clothes or shapeless sacks. Being modest need NOT entail making oneself unattractive to the opposite sex. There is nothing wrong with being attractive, but there is a difference between dressing attractively and blatantly flaunting one's body to the world.

If women were forced to hide everything that might attract male attention, they'd be forced to do the whole burka and veil thing. A beautiful face can be a "turn-on" - a nice set of lips, as can a nice head of hair. The extreme Muslims take care of this by requiring head coverings and facial veils (but alas, even those can't hide a sexy pair of eyes!)
And lets face it - some ladies are blessed with bodies that are a "turn-on" in almost any clothes they wear.

We Catholics are not Muslims, and we are not puritans. The human body is not in itself evil, nor is physical attraction. However, we shouldn't dress in a way as to sexually flaunt our bodies. People need to stop the silly quibbling and use some common sense.[/quote]

Wow, Soc lays the smackdown.

[quote name='Socrates' post='1451579' date='Jan 27 2008, 04:27 PM']I think some basic common sense is needed.

Yeah, what he said. That is exactly what I meant and said except maybe not in quite so eloquent of a manner. Maybe not even close. :yes: