An Old School Catholic Message Board

A Guy With His Shirt Off

XIX

And if so, what do we wear to the beach or the pool? Or do we just avoid that altogether?

I tend to avoid those places just to avoid the women in bikinis, so it's kind of moot to me from a practical perspective. But I've always wondered if it is considered immodest for a guy to not wear his shirt.

If this thread needs to be moved to the debate table then go for it. :)

W/ regard to the shirtless issue ... typically it does not bother me. On occasion, though, I have had to rein in my thoughts.

Ash Wednesday

I think some of that depends on context and how one is presenting themselves. Like a woman in a competitive swimming suit at the Olympics doesn't seem as overtly sexual and flagrantly immodest as a Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue photo spread. I think the same goes for guys. I don't think much of seeing a dude with his shirt off because he is swimming at the beach or public pool -- but walking around at a house party with your shirt off to flaunt your body and look like a "hottie" to the ladies is quite different.

Thy Geekdom Come

[quote name='Ash Wednesday' post='1371067' date='Aug 26 2007, 04:10 PM']...but walking around at a house party with your shirt off to flaunt your body and look like a "hottie" to the ladies is quite different.[/quote]
I wouldn't think of it...the whole party would go blind.

missionarybelle

It depends on how you're portraying yourself. ie. don't walk around a party shirtless and just take it off if you're doing strenuous physical labor or swimming. not just for the heck of it.

Honestly, My friend and I were talking Friday about how it IS dificult to be around attractive guys who are toned and have their shirts off but we have to make sure that our thoughts don't wander. I don't find it immodest though. I'm not being sarcastic but some guys are so atractive that no matter if they're dressed as eskimos, you have to guard your thoughts while around them.

[quote name='missionarybelle' post='1371133' date='Aug 26 2007, 05:24 PM']I'm not being sarcastic but some guys are so atractive that no matter if they're dressed as eskimos, you have to guard your thoughts while around them.[/quote]

:saint:

Noel's angel

[quote name='MIkolbe' post='1371142' date='Aug 27 2007, 12:00 AM']you're my hero.

jk.[/quote]

lol, someone must stand up for the convex-stomached man.

[quote name='XIX' post='1371050' date='Aug 26 2007, 02:22 PM']And if so, what do we wear to the beach or the pool? Or do we just avoid that altogether?

I tend to avoid those places just to avoid the women in bikinis, so it's kind of moot to me from a practical perspective. But I've always wondered if it is considered immodest for a guy to not wear his shirt.

If this thread needs to be moved to the debate table then go for it. :)[/quote]
While one should always be careful about guarding purity, I don't think this is something to be scrupulous about either. Imo, completely avoiding public swimming, or refusing to take off one's shirt to swim (if you're male) is a bit puritanical and excessive. Of course, some holy-rollers would disagree, and I've known some who always wear a shirt while swimming.

Of course, I have no way of knowing personally exactly how the sight of a bare male torso effects the ladies, but I'd say that as long as one's swim trunks are modest, and one's "package" is well-covered, this shouldn't be a huge issue.
If one finds swimming pools or beaches to be a near occasion of sin, he should probably avoid such places, but people (men and women) need to also learn to guard their thoughts. How one conducts himself or herself is important. And it is possible to lust after fully clothed people, as well as those in swim suits. And I think it's possible to admire someone's body without necessarily being lustful.

I'd say there's nothing wrong with a guy taking off his shirt to swim, or for other legitimate purposes, but one shouldn't just strut around shirtless where a shirt is appropriate to be "sexy" - there's a time and a place for everything.

And some seem quite hypocritical with the "modesty" thing. One summer some years back, I was getting ready to go swimming in a college pool, and this girl asked me to leave because she said she didn't believe in mixed company swimming. I said I thought that was a bit weird, but obliged out of respect. A week later, I was at the pool again, and the same girl was there in the pool playing water polo in a mixed group - not just swimming in the same pool, but tussling with shirtless guys over the ball, etc. I swear I'll never understand these "good Catholic" women!

I have no problem with guys not wearing shirts.

But that being said, if a guy doesnt have to wear a shirt, girls shouldnt have to wear a one piece. its the same principle.