An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Pro Football Immoral?

Era Might

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1365068' date='Aug 20 2007, 10:26 PM']If loving the Colts is wrong, I don't wanna be right.[/quote]

well it is, but that is irrelevant to whether or not football as a whole is immoral

[quote name='dUSt' post='1368978' date='Aug 23 2007, 01:10 PM']Packer football = moral.
Notre Dame football = moral.

All other football = immoral.

Bears and Vikings football = blasphemous.[/quote]

[quote name='dUSt' post='1369545' date='Aug 23 2007, 11:42 PM']It's a natural side effect of hating Minnesota.[/quote]
:drunk: Don't listen to him....its past 5:00pm somewhere.

[quote name='dUSt' post='1368978' date='Aug 23 2007, 01:10 PM']Packer football = moral.
Notre Dame football = moral.

All other football = immoral.

Bears and Vikings football = blasphemous.[/quote]

Ah beautiful

[quote name='Era Might' post='1365171' date='Aug 20 2007, 09:45 PM']Here's a realistic example:

You have a concussion. You're in the middle of the game. You don't want to let your teammates down, and if you do have a concussion you may be placed on the injured list and miss more games. You are supposed to be a "tough guy" so your instinct is to get back into the game.

Is it moral to do so, at the risk of your health and exacerbating that concussion?[/quote]

No offense but I started laughing when I saw this thread.

I don't think it's a sin at all. It's dedication. The way I see it, our bodies arn't what really matters, it's our souls and the type of person we are. So if you get all banged up on a regular basis, so be it.

[quote name='dUSt' post='1368978' date='Aug 23 2007, 12:10 PM']Notre Dame football = moral.

All other football = immoral.[/quote]

:lol: Amen.

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1369524' date='Aug 23 2007, 10:19 PM']They're doing an interpretive dance to try to find their clothes. :mellow:
So'm I![/quote]
:lol: :lol_above: :lol_roll:

OMG MISS SCRIPTURE! THAT MADE ME LAUGH SO HARD!!

:lol: haha

[quote name='Cure of Ars' post='1369870' date='Aug 24 2007, 09:36 AM']I'm too biased to contribute to this debate. I like football to much.[/quote]

lol Football rules. I'm actually going to a game tonight... first homegame of the season. O yeah.

[quote name='Cure of Ars' post='1369870' date='Aug 24 2007, 10:36 AM']I'm too biased to contribute to this debate. I like football to much.[/quote]
That's even more reason to question something. I also love professional football, it's my second favorite sport behind baseball, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's moral. The Romans liked to watch people fight lions in the Colosseum, but that was thoroughly immoral. I think it's always necessary to examine our society just as we examine our conscience.

Professional boxing may be more problematic than professional football, and I have a hard time justifying it. The Jesuit magazine Civilta Cattolica condemned it a few years ago:

[quote]Immoral. Ruthless. Tantamount to legalized murder.

That "punch against prize fighting," as the newspaper Corriere della Sera called it, came from an unusual corner -- an influential Jesuit magazine close to the Vatican.

Civilta Cattolica (Christian Civilization), in its edition scheduled to come out Saturday, called professional boxing a "legalized form of attempted murder."

The article, titled "The Immorality of Professional Boxing," compared the sport to the bloody gladiator contests in ancient Rome. It also criticized the business of boxing as equally ruthless, with the fighter "only a machine to make money."

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/news/story?id=2191103"]http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/boxing/ne...tory?id=2191103[/url][/quote]
I've never been a professional boxing fan, so I have no emotional attachment to dissuade me from questioning it. When it comes to football, that's not the case, so it's good to be reminded that my likes and dislikes do not constitute what is moral and immoral. What I like may turn out to be completely moral, but I think it is legitimate and necessary to question whether or not it is.

[quote name='Era Might' post='1365171' date='Aug 20 2007, 10:45 PM']Here's a realistic example:

You have a concussion. You're in the middle of the game. You don't want to let your teammates down, and if you do have a concussion you may be placed on the injured list and miss more games. You are supposed to be a "tough guy" so your instinct is to get back into the game.

Is it moral to do so, at the risk of your health and exacerbating that concussion?[/quote]

First of all, a SNL skit with Christopher Walken just came to mind....

I think in that case it is no different than any other occupational hazard. Although in the case of professional football, I read an article somewhere where it says players should only expect to play an average of three years and that they need to manage their salaries in case an injury ends their careers, so it probably is something that most players are aware of going in (I would hope).

[quote name='dUSt' post='1368978' date='Aug 23 2007, 01:10 PM']Bears and Vikings football = blasphemous.[/quote]

Then proceed the excommunication proceedings against me now!

[quote name='Era Might' post='1370104' date='Aug 24 2007, 05:10 PM']Professional boxing may be more problematic than professional football, and I have a hard time justifying it. The Jesuit magazine Civilta Cattolica condemned it a few years ago:
I've never been a professional boxing fan, so I have no emotional attachment to dissuade me from questioning it.[/quote]

I know this was brought up in another thread some time ago, but professional boxing is tame compared to MMA bouts.

[quote name='XIX' post='1365536' date='Aug 21 2007, 11:12 AM']The other thing about pro football--too many "cheerleaders" that don't really...wellll......

they don't wear clothes. :([/quote]

There is a very clear solution to this.

Who doesn't have cheerleaders?

Become a Steelers fan!!!

[quote name='Romans1513' post='1370731' date='Aug 25 2007, 10:24 PM']There is a very clear solution to this.

Who doesn't have cheerleaders?
Become a Steelers fan!!![/quote]
ahhh...

Wow that is a very extremely good point.

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1368981' date='Aug 23 2007, 11:13 AM']I am curious about how you came to be a Packers fan.[/quote]
He's real cheesy.

:mellow: