An Old School Catholic Message Board

Is Pro Football Immoral?

Era Might

IrishSalesian

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1365068' date='Aug 20 2007, 11:26 PM']If loving the Colts is wrong, I don't wanna be right.[/quote]
Then you shall be wrong, now and forever, ;)
Im a Patriots fan :boxer:

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1365068' date='Aug 20 2007, 09:26 PM']If loving the Colts is wrong, I don't wanna be right.[/quote]

:lol_roll:

IrishSalesian

[quote name='XIX' post='1365536' date='Aug 21 2007, 11:12 AM']The other thing about pro football--too many "cheerleaders" that don't really...wellll......

they don't wear clothes. :([/quote]

I don't even know why their are cheerleaders, they are a distraction, thats all. They have nothing to do with the game, they make me angry.

Also, as one who has played football in high school. I do not think in itself thats it is an immoral to play football. If you know you are injured, and you play because you are a "tough guy or gal" then yes, it becomes immoral. But, to play a game that is competitive, fun, and hard, no, not immoral. You know that there are risks, risks that could be very serious. I have seen kids break their necks. But it has not discouraged me from playing. It is a very sun sport to play.
The same could be said for basketball, baseball, soccer, all of these sports could be considered immoral, the potential for injury is serious in all of them. Does that mean we should stop playing them? No. There is a risk in almost everything. There is a risk to working in an office, your sight could go bad from the computers. Does that mean you should stop? No. You can get skin cancer from the sun, should you lock yourself in the house? No. The answer to all of these are No. How do these professional Athletes provide for their families? They also give to charities.

Edited by IrishSalesian

[quote name='IrishSalesian' post='1365547' date='Aug 21 2007, 10:28 AM']Also, as one who has played football in high school. I do not think in itself thats it is an immoral to play football.[/quote]
Just to be clear, I'm not talking about football in general, but specifically professional football, because of its intensity and longevity.

cmotherofpirl

I know of one pro football player who lives in a dinky personal care home because he doesn't have enough mind left to live on his own. The saleries of yesterday were in reality quite low if you consider having to pay for a lifetime of professional care. He is very sweet -natured and will show you his superbowl rings is you ask nicely....

Packer football = moral.
Notre Dame football = moral.

All other football = immoral.

Bears and Vikings football = blasphemous.

[quote name='dUSt' post='1368978' date='Aug 23 2007, 12:10 PM']Packer football = moral.
Notre Dame football = moral.

All other football = immoral.

Bears and Vikings football = blasphemous.[/quote]
I am curious about how you came to be a Packers fan.

allis-challmers

[quote]If loving the Colts is wrong, I don't wanna be right[/quote]

agreed

I don't think that being a profootball player is wrong. I am an electician there is a lot of the older members of my trade that have health problems from working in power houses and other conditions that are not considered healthy. this is the job that I decided to do. I knew the risks and decided that it is a good jog and I can support a family on my wages. the football players know the risks involved in there industry and have to decide if they want to play or not. It is not that much different from other forms of work. Athletes are just more famous

allis-challmers

[quote]I know of one pro football player who lives in a dinky personal care home because he doesn't have enough mind left to live on his own. The saleries of yesterday were in reality quite low if you consider having to pay for a lifetime of professional care. He is very sweet -natured and will show you his superbowl rings is you ask nicely....[/quote]

I worked with a guy who fell off a transformer at work about 20 feet. He had to have surgury and is still not all right yet. there are hasards to every job

MissScripture

[quote name='XIX' post='1365536' date='Aug 21 2007, 10:12 AM']The other thing about pro football--too many "cheerleaders" that don't really...wellll......

they don't wear clothes. :([/quote]
They're doing an interpretive dance to try to find their clothes. :mellow:

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1368981' date='Aug 23 2007, 01:13 PM']I am curious about how you came to be a Packers fan.[/quote]
So'm I!

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1368981' date='Aug 23 2007, 01:13 PM']I am curious about how you came to be a Packers fan.[/quote]
It's a natural side effect of hating Minnesota.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='allis-challmers' post='1369006' date='Aug 23 2007, 02:45 PM']I worked with a guy who fell off a transformer at work about 20 feet. He had to have surgury and is still not all right yet. there are hasards to every job[/quote]
Yes there are. But nobody is offering the electrician a 20 million dollar contract, and nobody is showing these young kids who sign them the guy in the dinky personal care home with an attendant helping him get dressed.