An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Least Favorite Saying I Hear On Message Boards

Budge

[quote name='Terra Firma' post='1364174' date='Aug 20 2007, 10:31 AM']well, like St. Paul he is trying to be all things to all people ... to the cave man, a cave man ...[/quote]

This is me:
[img]http://ccinsider.comedycentral.com/photos/uncategorized/geicocavemen.jpg[/img]

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1364161' date='Aug 20 2007, 10:09 AM']:huh: An effective method, I am sure.[/quote]

For Tim "the Toolman" Taylor, definitely!

Edited by scardella

IcePrincessKRS

On a serious note, though, I would like to see what Budge has to say about the arguments we've provided.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1364204' date='Aug 20 2007, 11:10 AM']On a serious note, though, I would like to see what Budge has to say about the arguments we've provided.[/quote]
[b]Now that is the most popular saying on Phatmass boards.[/b] The request is more often than not denied.

[quote name='Budge' post='1360324' date='Aug 16 2007, 04:03 PM']I cringe when people use it...
[center]
[b]
“Preach the Gospel at all times. Where necessary, use words.”[/b][/center]
(1.)[/quote]

The day Ray Comfort gives up all his money, all his fame, his television show, his family, his comfort (no pun intended), his house, his job, his car, his television, his computer, his retirement plans, his friends, his hot showers, his personal opinions, his pride, his jealousy, his self-righteousness, his shoes and socks, and the very clothes from his back....the day he spends hard time in prison for his beliefs, submits to authority, is spit upon, chooses to live a celibate life, preaches with pure love, creates poetry and devotions to God that last a thousand years, receives visions, builds a church with his bare hands, accepts food by charity, offers to walk into fire to convert muslims, embraces a leper and receives the stigmata....then on that day and ONLY that day will I listen to his snyde comments and attacks on St. Francis of Assisi.

May God have mercy upon me and upon him,

Philip

[quote name='Lord Philip' post='1364516' date='Aug 20 2007, 07:31 PM']...then on that day and ONLY that day will I listen to his snyde comments and attacks on St. Francis of Assisi.[/quote]

I don't think you read the whole article or all the other posts in the thread. :mellow:

jeeze.... even if all that happened I wouldn't listen to his attacks on St. Francis! St. Francis is in heaven 100% for sure... no matter how holy any other guy is... don't attack a freaking SAINT.

I have to say, I love St.Francis, but it DRIVE ME BONKERS when someone uses the aforementioned saying to defend why they never share the Word. I think too many people think that just by being a good person they are demonstrating Christianity, when, unless the Word is shared, the people witnessing may have no idea that it is in service of Christ.

Hey, what happened to this thread?

Here we have a man arguing that we should live as Christians all the time, preach when neccesary. It's a basic truth: you act properly, people will be more interested in your belief system. If Christians act like Christians, then they can stave off the typical "hypocrites" argument, win people through charity into a friendship and from there, quite possibly, into the Catholic Church.

Of course, it's been stood on its head simply because it came from a Catholic.

• 2 weeks later...
Saint Therese

[quote name='Budge' post='1360324' date='Aug 16 2007, 06:03 PM']I cringe when people use it...
[center]
[b]
“Preach the Gospel at all times. Where necessary, use words.”[/b][/center]
(1.)[/quote]

:bigthink: I'm curious, do you have any thoughts or arguments of your own? Or can you only quote Chick tracts? :flowers:

I miss this thread. I think it's a great example of the notion that works have no place in the Christian life, and only shouting loudly and complaining is the proper way to live as a Christian.