An Old School Catholic Message Board

My Least Favorite Saying I Hear On Message Boards

Budge

Does anyone else find it ironic that in the tirade that Budge quotes, Mr. Comfort refers to withholdng the "Bread of life"?

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Norseman82' post='1362842' date='Aug 19 2007, 02:10 PM']Does anyone else find it ironic that in the tirade that Budge quotes, Mr. Comfort refers to withholdng the "Bread of life"?[/quote]I do. But, I find it more ironic that Mr. Comfort is putting St. Francis on trial for his attitude toward preaching. St. Francis and his followers were no strangers to preaching, and even boldly preached the Gospel to the sultan in Egypt.

As usual, televangelists' ability to do the most basic research before "confronting a topic" leaves me unimpressed.

At no point in the article does Ray Comfort disagree with St. Francis.

Ray is crazy in his attention-grabbers tho. He compliments Francis at the bottom and separates St. Francis from any misuse of the quote.

I made the mistake of not getting that at first. I guess I wasn't alone either.

Mateo el Feo

[quote name='Paddington' post='1362923' date='Aug 19 2007, 03:17 PM']He compliments Francis at the bottom and separates St. Francis from any misuse of the quote.[/quote]Fair enough, but it looks like he is claiming that the author of the quote actually advocates hindering (his word) the preaching of the Gospel, instead of saying that it was the misuse of the quote, as you suggest.

For me, this is something akin to quoting Our Lord in today's Gospel reading ([url="http://www.usccb.org/nab/bible/luke/luke12.htm#v49"]Lk 12:49-53[/url]) and suggesting that He wanted to hinder peace and family harmony.

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1362954' date='Aug 19 2007, 05:35 PM']Fair enough, but it looks like he is claiming that the author of the quote actually advocates hindering (his word) the preaching of the Gospel, instead of saying that it was the misuse of the quote, as you suggest.[/quote]

Ah yes! Thanks MeF.

[quote name='Mateo el Feo' post='1362904' date='Aug 19 2007, 02:07 PM']I do. But, I find it more ironic that Mr. Comfort is putting St. Francis on trial for his attitude toward preaching. St. Francis and his followers were no strangers to preaching, and even boldly preached the Gospel to the sultan in Egypt.

As usual, televangelists' ability to do the most basic research before "confronting a topic" leaves me unimpressed.[/quote]
Yeah, I remember learning that about St Francis... He thought one day, that, "hey, I wanna be a martyr! I'm goona go boldly preach to the sultan in his Tent!" And off he went with a couple of brothers, and it turned out the sultan didn't kill him, but he listened to St Francis... and I think there was something noted about the guy's boldness by the Sultan...

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1364081' date='Aug 20 2007, 06:55 AM']I guess not. That's weird... she doesn't usually just post a smear and leave a thread like this.... :mellow:[/quote]
No, she never does ... usually she sticks around to defend her points.

:mellow: