An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Is Good "good"?

T-Bone _

[quote name='Paddington' post='1362096' date='Aug 18 2007, 06:38 PM']It's an icky conversation. But, I have to say that I would prefer annihilation to hell.[/quote]
As would I, but our existence is so intrinsically good, that it would be a greater evil to destroy us.

Also, we choose hell -- we inflict this on ourselves by rejecting God.

[quote name='photosynthesis' post='1367858' date='Aug 22 2007, 11:16 AM']how can there be happiness in hell if it is eternal separation from God, and God is the source of all joy and goodness?[/quote]
It's a false sense of happiness. It's not true joy that can be found by being with God.

[quote name='adt6247' post='1361238' date='Aug 17 2007, 03:28 PM']And thus, no matter what we do to mess it up, the fact that we exist is good. It is always better for us to exist than not exist, otherwise, there would be no hell, only oblivion.[/quote]

[quote name='adt6247' post='1367923' date='Aug 22 2007, 12:53 PM']As would I, but our existence is so intrinsically good, that it would be a greater evil to destroy us.[/quote]

I have heard it said, that much in the way we do not destroy a suffering body, God does not destroy a suffering soul because it is an affront to the dignity of the soul to treat it as something that may be destroyed.

Edited by tomasio127

God never says something is some way because it's a fact that it is that way. That requires ignorance, or if you will, a lack of knowledge. God created the meaning of good, God IS goodness. Goodness is everything God and His will. :)

[quote name='Paddington' post='1362096' date='Aug 18 2007, 04:38 PM']It's an icky conversation. But, I have to say that I would prefer annihilation to hell.[/quote]

I would second that.

what is good it is because God says so but if you do good just because he said it then you are not doing it properly because you must love good. because you are helping the others to increase the morality. in their souls
godd cannot only bee because good is good but because you what to choose because you are doing it for them out of love show it. not only to society but also within your self.

good- morals that tells us how our esential lifes must live
bad- amorals, inmorals what tells us not to listen to morals and remove it from our minds so we can live conftable.