An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Is Good "good"?

T-Bone _

Groo the Wanderer

Cause if good weren't good, it would be bad, and that's not good, unless you are also bad, which is also not good.

Good?

cathoholic_anonymous

"Why do you call me good? No one is good but God alone."

God is goodness itself, and goodness is God. To be good is to be like God.

Good is good because it is essentially so. It is like God. It is as God intended it to be...he doesn't really 'decide' what is good because it is not arbitrary. Good is just that which reflects God or comes from Him

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1360060' date='Aug 16 2007, 10:45 AM']Is "Good" good because God says it's good, or does God say it's good because it's good?[/quote]

If God were bad, how would we know any better if we're His Creation?

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1360060' date='Aug 16 2007, 11:45 AM']Is "Good" good because God says it's good, or does God say it's good because it's good?[/quote]
Goodness is an ontological part of God's nature. We are good inasmuchas we are like God, and because we are creations of God. God is a creator, by nature, and as all actions of God are good, creation is good. If creation is good, then the fruits of creation, existence, is also good. Our existence, as humans, is ontologically good.

And thus, no matter what we do to mess it up, the fact that we exist is good. It is always better for us to exist than not exist, otherwise, there would be no hell, only oblivion.

I think that's what he said. But then, you have to look at what hell is... but again, God is good, and he created us. We are made to be drawn to him. Even in the state of hell, though, we have some good, though it is corrupted and completely selfish.

I dont know... some speculate that people in hell have some sort of happiness... if you could say that. Heaven is infinately better though. Besides God only gave us 2 choices. not 3... heh

I've heard the idea that goes "people in hell hate God so much that they wouldn't want to stop hating Him at any cost."

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1360060' date='Aug 16 2007, 10:45 AM']Is "Good" good because God says it's good, or does God say it's good because it's good?[/quote]

Considering that God invented the whole of the universe through and through, God has the ability to objectively know the ramifications of all actions, motions, and choices within the universe.

Since the universe, as vast and awesome as it is, is not the purpose of God's creating it in and of itself, God was able to determine down to the smallest level a universe that suited God's purpose.

Since we, creatures bearing immortal souls that contain memory, intellect, and free will are the purpose of God's grand design, we can accept that when God declares something good, it is good because God meant it that way for us.

photosynthesis

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1362104' date='Aug 18 2007, 06:41 PM']I dont know... some speculate that people in hell have some sort of happiness... if you could say that. Heaven is infinately better though. Besides God only gave us 2 choices. not 3... heh[/quote]
how can there be happiness in hell if it is eternal separation from God, and God is the source of all joy and goodness?