An Old School Catholic Message Board

I'm A Novice Now!

Guest JeffCR07

Guest JeffCR07

I'm officially Brother Jeff in the Eastern Province of the Order of Preachers!

you can read about my class and see a picture of us all [url="http://www.dominicanfriars.org/2007/08/13/15-new-novices/"]here[/url]

I'll be praying for everyone!

Brother Jeff

Br. Jeffrey Reese, OP! Congratulations! (Why didn't you take a religious name though?)

But, congratulations!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JeffCR07

[quote name='brendan1104' post='1359032' date='Aug 14 2007, 10:54 PM']Br. Jeffrey Reese, OP! Congratulations! (Why didn't you take a religious name though?)

But, congratulations![/quote]

Actually, my not taking a religious name came as a pretty big surprise to me. I was set on taking the name Anselm, but as Vestition drew closer and closer, it felt less and less right. Ultimately, I figured out (through a lot of tough prayer) that the religious names I would take are all the names of great philosophers and theologians, and for me that is exactly the wrong reason to take a name. If I had taken a name like Anselm of Thomas, and taken it solely on account of their philosophy and theology, then I would have felt personally tied to a particular philosophical or theological outlook. I didn't (and don't) want to spend my life as a religious justifying the opinions of my namesake to others, or justifying why I disagree with my namesake.

That having been said, I firmly believe that taking a religious name is a good thing, and I am certain that I will be taking a devotional name at First Profession, which is traditionally an option for Dominicans. Right now I'm thinking it will be "Dominic," so after Profession I will be Brother Jeffrey Dominic Reese :D

Thanks for all the prayers! Please pray for our Dominican Sisters as well!

Brother Jeffrey

Sr Mary Catharine OP

[quote name='JeffCR07' post='1372522' date='Aug 28 2007, 04:43 PM']Actually, my not taking a religious name came as a pretty big surprise to me. I was set on taking the name Anselm, but as Vestition drew closer and closer, it felt less and less right. Ultimately, I figured out (through a lot of tough prayer) that the religious names I would take are all the names of great philosophers and theologians, and for me that is exactly the wrong reason to take a name. If I had taken a name like Anselm of Thomas, and taken it solely on account of their philosophy and theology, then I would have felt personally tied to a particular philosophical or theological outlook. I didn't (and don't) want to spend my life as a religious justifying the opinions of my namesake to others, or justifying why I disagree with my namesake.

That having been said, I firmly believe that taking a religious name is a good thing, and I am certain that I will be taking a devotional name at First Profession, which is traditionally an option for Dominicans. Right now I'm thinking it will be "Dominic," so after Profession I will be Brother Jeffrey Dominic Reese :D

Thanks for all the prayers! Please pray for our Dominican Sisters as well!

Brother Jeffrey[/quote]

Brother, congrats! I hear you are just PACKED into the priory! Bro. Justin said some great things about you guys!

We're looking forward to your visit in the winter! We'll need to double the choc. chip recipe!

You know you are in our prayers. I hope that the above "Pray for our Dominican Sisters" included the nuns! :-)

Your sister,
Sr. Mary Catharine