An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pray To Allah, Dutch Bishop Suggests

cappie

Allah is not our God. It may mean "god" in Arabic but that does not mean its the same God. Modernists may think so. Bu I sure dont and never will i dont care how many times JP II said it was the same God. I dont believe so and neither do i have to.

and there's no way im going to give into the [mod]racist-Aloysius[/mod]. no thanks. I'm Catholic, im in the Truth faith. I'm not going to compromise that for the sake of making suicide bombers happy.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1360984' date='Aug 17 2007, 04:03 AM'][b]I[/b] don't need the news reports; I set the challenge because it seems clear to me that a large majority of people on this thread do. [url="http://www.trouw.nl/deverdieping/overigeartikelen/article726846.ece/Priester_roomser_dan_de_paus?backlink=true"]Here's [/url] something to kick you off. As a hint: Trouw is a 'Christian' paper - staffed by very Dutch Dutchmen, so you need to keep this in mind when you read it :)[/quote]

There isn't an English translation of the article, is there?

Just to be sure, I've never claimed that the Church in Europe is going down the toilet bowl, but is it true that fewer people are practicing Christians in Europe relative to the US? If it is, that probably means Europe is closer to a true conversion that we are.

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1360984' date='Aug 17 2007, 04:03 AM']Fr. Roddy I find...interesting. I've only listened to one of his podcasts; it was in reaction to a message from Rome about how liturgical music should be solemn and beautiful, and he was busy rewording it all to justify his guitars during Mass :P[/quote]

Don't you think you should give him more than one listen before deciding what you think of the guy? He's not "Fr. Tradition," but he does run an occasional segment teaching Latin and if he ever says anything in contradiction to Church teaching, he'll correct himself on it. You should've heard the one when he attend a Mass in the US and got his reaction to everyone holding hands during the Our Father :)

Edited by LouisvilleFan

dairygirl4u2c

i thought the pope said we worship the same God. if apotheon says we don't, then i seriously question that.
i do note that raphael said that we do, and he's up there in reputability.

if the CC says we do, it'd really be putting your money where your mouth is by referring to God as Allah. not that it's a necessary logical progression, as it could be argued to be watering down the true religion to appease others. or it could be looked at as being accomodating.
it all depends on how you look at it.

dairygirl4u2c

[quote]and there's no way im going to give into the rag heads. no thanks. I'm Catholic, im in the Truth faith. I'm not going to compromise that for the sake of making suicide bombers happy.[/quote]

so sophisticaed. and this isn't even about speaking frankly instead of being PC unduly.
every muslim isn't a suicide bomber.

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Akalyte' post='1361804' date='Aug 18 2007, 04:59 PM']and there's no way im going to give into the rag heads. no thanks. I'm Catholic, im in the Truth faith. I'm not going to compromise that for the sake of making suicide bombers happy.[/quote]

I don't think it would make any suicide bombers happy - we, a bunch of heathen scum worth less than pigs, suddenly claiming we worship the same God? Outrageous!

It probably wouldn't make the terrorists who fight (or, as it seems now, to our joy, fought) in the name of Catholicism happy either.

The people who would make it happy are probably the same people who like to call God "Father, Mother, Bringer of Life", and other neo-hippie stuff. So I'm not for it. But I don't see a reason to be so wildly against it, either, especially since it was suggested by a bishop.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='reyb' post='1361788' date='Aug 18 2007, 10:38 AM']Okay. But, do you think you can attain it? And if ever, will you accept that you are like Jesus, the Christ?[/quote]

Of course we can attain it. Many saints (and many who aren't canonized) were not sinless, but they came to imitate Christ in ways that only God's grace could make possible. Of course, part of drawing closer to Christ is realizing all the ways that we fail to imitate him. I don't know if one could admit they are "like" Jesus. Perhaps only under the condition of that likeness coming only from God's grace.

More importantly, all believers will become like Jesus after he comes to restore the new Creation.

When I see a large group of muslims protesting the extremism in their own religion. Maybe, just maybe I'll change my mind. Anyhow Islam came out of the womb of paganism with a sword in its hand and ready to take on the world. (Especially Jews and Christians).

some may be fooled by modernist ecumenism. I'm not. I'm no fan of it. Some people on phatmass know me already. lol

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Akalyte' post='1361814' date='Aug 18 2007, 05:20 PM']When I see a large group of muslims protesting the extremism in their own religion. Maybe, just maybe I'll change my mind. Anyhow Islam came out of the womb of paganism with a sword in its hand and ready to take on the world. (Especially Jews and Christians).[/quote]

Well, you can move here and read the opinion of that large group (say 90% of Muslims living here) in almost every daily newspaper. Or on the news on television. You can stay with me on the couch if you want, but I do live in a girl's house, so our living room is painted pink :)

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1361282' date='Aug 17 2007, 02:37 PM']The man has a name, you know. There are more than a dozen bishops in this country; his name has the advantage of consisting of only one word that isn't even terribly hard to spell for English speakers.

Oh yea, how's things going with that American bishop no-one likes?[/quote]

[quote name='puellapaschalis' post='1361379' date='Aug 17 2007, 05:05 PM']Has anyone managed to recall 'the Dutch bishop's' name yet without scrolling back to a post in which it was mentioned? Reducing him, by not referring to him by his name, to a mere object is simply the camel-back-breaking straw here.[/quote]

i meant no disrespect to the bishop, at all. i simply forgot his name. and since i usually type one handed since i have a baby in the other hand, maybe you should give people the benefit of the doubt without assuming that i meant to disrespect this bishop on purpose!! thanks a lot. <_<

and yeah, i did have to go back to the first post to find his name, thank you. it's bishop martinus muskens.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1361824' date='Aug 18 2007, 08:41 AM']i meant no disrespect to the bishop, at all. i simply forgot his name. and since i usually type one handed since i have a baby in the other hand, maybe you should give people the benefit of the doubt without assuming that i meant to disrespect this bishop on purpose!! thanks a lot. <_<

and yeah, i did have to go back to the first post to find his name, thank you. it's bishop martinus muskens.[/quote]
There is no need to apologize, because there is no rule of etiquette that says a person must repeat a man's name in every post that he makes in a thread.

cathoholic_anonymous

[quote name='Akalyte' post='1361804' date='Aug 18 2007, 03:59 PM']and there's no way im going to give into the [mod]racist-Aloysius[/mod]. no thanks. I'm Catholic, im in the Truth faith. I'm not going to compromise that for the sake of making suicide bombers happy.[/quote]

It is surely a great sorrow to Arab Christians and cultural Arabs like me (who wear Arab dress) that our costume makes us less holy than the Almighty Americans and their superior fashion sense.

Just the (sarcastic) opinion of a resident rag-head.

This is the kind of prejudice that quite literally reduces me to tears. I think this marks the end of my participation in the debate table.