An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pray To Allah, Dutch Bishop Suggests

cappie

Extra ecclesiam nulla salus

i agree that it is stupid for non-arabic speaking Catholics to pray to Allah.

but does the word Deus or God imply a trinitarian nature of God?

both words were used by pagans before the Christianization of Europe

VeniteAdoremus

[quote name='Extra ecclesiam nulla salus' post='1365029' date='Aug 21 2007, 05:14 AM']i agree that it is stupid for non-arabic speaking Catholics to pray to Allah.

but does the word Deus or God imply a trinitarian nature of God?

both words were used by pagans before the Christianization of Europe[/quote]

No, they do not. But we're used to them doing, so we like to think they do.

People (myself included) can be very much attached to their little-t traditions. And while there's not much wrong with having them, in general, sometimes it might be fruitful to mentally "go Carmelite" for a second and see whether those things [i]really matter[/i] or not.

I'm not going to call God Allah because when I'm praying, I'm praying, not making ecumenical statements.

(And if any group is going to attack any other group with anything else than preaching and good works, the Father, Son and Holy Spirit help me, I'll know on which side to stand.)

[i]Edit: oops, no HTML.[/i]

Edited by VeniteAdoremus

LouisvilleFan

Well, I listened to the Daily Breakfast today at work and obviously Fr. Roderick addressed this topic (being a Dutch priest and all...). I think we are all making a much bigger deal out of it than Bishop Muskens ever intended. Apparently, he made this comment somewhat flippantly in the middle of an interview. He's done a lot of missionary work in Indonesia and he was explaining that Catholics there use "Allah" for God, even in liturgy. He doesn't expect anyone to change how they call God and that's not even the point. I think he just wants us to look beyond the superficial things and address the real differences in a spirit of peace and understanding.

I see nothing to argue with.

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1368510' date='Aug 22 2007, 11:50 PM']Well, I listened to the Daily Breakfast today at work and obviously Fr. Roderick addressed this topic (being a Dutch priest and all...). I think we are all making a much bigger deal out of it than Bishop Muskens ever intended. Apparently, he made this comment somewhat flippantly in the middle of an interview. He's done a lot of missionary work in Indonesia and he was explaining that Catholics there use "Allah" for God, even in liturgy. He doesn't expect anyone to change how they call God and that's not even the point. I think he just wants us to look beyond the superficial things and address the real differences in a spirit of peace and understanding.

I see nothing to argue with.[/quote]
LOL. Of course, none of the people dumping on the Bishop did 1 second's worth of research, they just went with the article who characterized the Bishop as being anti-Pope first. Nor has anyone taken into account the fact the bishop is on the hate list of pro-Islam sites on the net becasue of a more thoughtfull speech he made that said Islam would eventually die out because it's foundations rely too much on conflict and violence. The Bishop also said too much attention is given to Islam in ecumenical discussions, people are over sensitized to Islam.

But who needs the Chrisitian spirit of Charity when you are Catholic. You don't have to be nice, you are right.