An Old School Catholic Message Board

Why Are Protestants So Fixed On The Resurrected Jesus?

genxcathedra

[quote name='Sirklawd' post='1361052' date='Aug 17 2007, 08:59 AM']This is an excellent response. Unfortunately, it will probably be ignored. :/
But it has certainly reached me and got me thinking about things I havn't thought about before, so thanks![/quote]

Well, then it has already borne fruit, and that is a rare consolation. Thank you.

I heard the "But, He isn't on the cross anymore"-thing a few times in my Crucifix-wearing days.

It really made me think......an empty cross isn't a symbol of the resurrection anyway.

If they want to wear an empty-tomb-on-a-chain, then sure.

An empty cross could symbolize all sorts of things:
1. The minute before he was put on the cross.
2. The minute after he was taken down. (Pre-Resurrection.)
3. Wrong person's cross.

And then you get into that whole "didn't he carry the horizontal bar? And didn't that get taken down with him?"-thing.

It really is strange that anybody uses that whole "but, he isn't on the cross anymore."

I thought it was kinda cool when Budge used the "do you put pics of your friend getting beat up on the wall?" argument. It doesn't hold water anyways. Big difference from getting stomped for the salvation of the world and just getting stomped.
However, it would be flattering if your friend put a pic of you on the wall that showed you after doing something really heroic in which you, by necessity, got your butt kicked. That would be cool for sure.

Great post, Paddington. I like your speculation. Especially the last part about being "stomped for for the salvation of the world" opposed to "just getting stomped". :hehe: made me laugh out loud for a second, then I realized people must think I'm more strange than usual.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1361487' date='Aug 18 2007, 02:13 AM']Great post, Paddington. I like your speculation. Especially the last part about being "stomped for for the salvation of the world" opposed to "just getting stomped". :hehe: made me laugh out loud for a second, then I realized people must think I'm more strange than usual.[/quote]

I totally just laughed at that part, too. It was well-said, Paddington. :)

If Budge lived in the time of Christ, she could've fallen down to worship Him.

All her eyes would see would be His skin, eyeballs, hair, the shape of His bones/muscles/fat. More than anything, she would just see his clothing. Inanimate fabric.

That really makes me okay with praying in front of icons and crucifixes. God is everywhere, but certain things can elevate our minds to Him. Christ isn't worshipped for his human nature anyways. But, his human nature is all that Budge would see in front of her as her mind elevated in worship. Her eyes could be opened, closed or alternating, and it would be okay if her mind/soul were in the right place.